Cutting Edge Design

I own the Boden Standard 10 year anniversary edition (but the only difference should be the color). As mentioned above I am more than happy with the pickups. In my "bubble" (which is not Jazz) it seems people only change them if they want to have something heavier for metal. I heard they are based on the Suhr pickups the originals come with, but I have no idea how true that is. (I may ask during this years Guitar Summit).

The only problem I had was with the output jack. It was a known problem and there even is a help article on the strandberg site. This should not happen anymore. I bought a new one for 10€ and practiced my soldering skills. Annoying, that this happened, but ok in the grand scheme of things.
Thanks for responding. According to several YT reviews, the Essential 6 model has done away with most all of the known QC issues that Strandberg previously encountered (including the sharp zero-fret nut edge, no longer zero fret...). I've got some Lollar Imperial Standard and High Wind pups on order because my style is not so much metal or thrash, more so towards jazz or jazz fusion.

The higher end models typically were built with Suhr pickups (the 4 conductor wire HH or SSH configs, mostly)

Thanks for the heads-up regards the output jack. If a pup swap occurs once the Essential has had its chance, I'd likely upgrade the jack at the same time to save a 2nd bench cost...

Guitar arrived Friday the 9th. Allowed to acclimate until unboxing Saturday. Here are some stock images of how the Strandberg Boden Essential 6 looks.

RkhZZ4h.jpg
tfomgXG.jpg

c93wT68.jpg
zyhZANb.jpg

First impressions:

PROS:
Extraordinarily lightweight, guessing less than 4.5 lbs.
Comfortable sitting on lap with contoured body sculpt at 45º degrees. Will likely need a guitar strap to prevent guitar from sliding off right thigh. Plugging in, output jack is recessed behind back body sculpt, either a right angle or straight plug works well.
Neck contour is multi-angle (meaning, not a smooth taper or curvature). Roasted Maple Neck has a beveled surface for proper thumb positioning, and strangely enough, feels well-played, lightly-oiled, and is comfortable. It's something that feels familiar after a brief while.
OEM pickups are loud! The specs on the pickups return higher resistance values, so these are not considered vintage-style pickups at all. The pickups compared to my other guitars sound full up on volume = 4. Beyond this is louder and more distorted. Have yet to verify tone knob function but estimate similar taper values as the volume.

CONS:
Extra loudness of pickups would suggest a lighter touch or lower FM9 output should follow. Have ordered a set of high quality vintage-sounding pickups for my tastes. Will wait an appropriate time before deciding to swap pickups.
My belly typically causes the Essential 6 body sculpt to slide off my right thigh unless a guitar strap secures it in position. A Strandberg strap was ordered and is either awaiting pickup from my mailbox or has an extra transit day with USPS.
The 5-way toggle switch for the HH pickups seem somewhat substandard (the plastic knob covers one thin piece of bendable metal flange that comprises the switch). Would happily upgrade the 5-way switch to a dual plated or sturdier shaft switch when swapping out the pickups at the same time to consolidate bench costs.

TONE:
Unique, to say the least. The series/parallel switching doesn't add Strat quack as one might expect. Each of the 5 settings sounds equally loud and has its own character, indescribable almost. Bridge, Middle, and Neck HH's sound full. 2 & 4 position are something else, but can't quite explain.

PLAYABILITY:
Very comfortable. Angled 45º degree body sculpt contour allows for better picking posture with less fatigue. Roasted satin-oiled beveled maple neck allows for faster fretting and hand position changes. Neck design takes into account need for sus2 and split triad chording. Beveled neck makes it easier to firmly grasp the neck with thumb. The Strandberg design allows for jazz, fusion, metal, thrash, blues. Typically not thought of for country, bluegrass, folk. Still can play rock, soul, R&B. First thought was Todd Rundgren. Naming my guitar "Rastro."

CARE:
Caring and maintaining the Essential 6 is easier than one might expect, but slightly more difficult because it involves the set of Allen wrenches included with your purchase. Unaware that the wrenches were included no charge, an extra set and 2 sets of locking string metal washers were purchased originally with the guitar. String changes require following the included booklet's instructions, and detuning / string removal requires the Allen wrenches. As an afterthought, I felt that it might be great if the guitar could be displayed on my display wall, but I've yet to locate a DIY video for the hanger installation and instructions. So, for now, my Essential 6 resides in its gigbag. Will check Strandberg Support for the DIY video as well as somefirst time string change walk-throughs.

Last edited:
AFTERTHOUGHT:
Like most of my guitars, I'd like, at least, to display my Essential 6 from my DiamondLife Slatboard Guitar Hanger. The problem is that the headless Strandberg design would not provide enough "grab" just below the headstock nub as is. Off to the interwebz to find a solution. And strangely enough, one enterprising young 3D plastics artisan from Etsy! provides Strandberg headstock "mold surrounds" that add just enough width and girth to the neck and headstock design so that standard headstock guitar hangers will work with the Essential 6. It's either the light blue or black molded 3D printer grip for about $22.38 plus ship/tax. Please note that some alternate designs will not work with the Essential design...averted purchase issues by reading the item's descriptions entirely first.

Looking forward to receiving my 3D plastic mold that cups behind the lower ridge of the non-existent headstock. It was either this or a String Swing Ukulele hanger that would need to reside away from the DiamondLife slatboard. The YTer who suggested the ukulele hanger said his tenor ukulele hanger was about as close as he might need for securely holding his Strandberg.

I think it'll be far easier to attach the 3D mold and lift gently atop the DiamondLife 6" chrome hanger. DiamondLife makes 3" hangers as well, but the owner could not verify if the smaller 3" hanger hook area would securely hold my Essential 6. Perhaps DiamondLife might partner with the Etsy artisan so the artisan can receive a wider consumer audience.

And an accessory afterthought that arrived Thursday morning...it's noted that many are off-put by the Strandberg's headstock design that renders it incapable of being hung directly from a standard guitar hanger...enter a laser printer hand-crafted Etsy! product from 3DMusicShopBoutique that acts like a headstock sleeve that securely allows the Strandberg to hang from a guitar hanger...

Here's what the black model looks like:

G2g7qvT.jpg

Blends right in. Also available in light blue, 6, 7, 8-string models, lefty and righty. ~$22.83 +tax/ship from Montreal, CN.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom