Custom IRs...where to start

Your original post says you like hard rock. Are you drawn to 60s - 80s hard rock or more modern sounds? The Vintage and Modern collections have G12M (greenback), G12-65 and G12H IRs which will get you 60s - 80s Marshall vibes but the modern also has Classic Lead 80s, G12K-100 and V30 IRs which might pair better with Rectifiers, Diezel, ENGL for more modern sounds. The Vintage collection has Jensen, Altec and JBLs which could work for hard rock but are usually found in Fender type amps.

I have all the newest OH libraries and they're great, but how about the older V1 and V2 ones, which ones are favorites for what kind of tones?

OwnHammer's Studio Mix libraries are his latest.

There are 4 libraries:

112-GTR DLX MIX Vintage Speaker Collection
This is a MojoTone Narrow Panel Deluxe open back 1x12 guitar cabinet, with various speakers manufactured before the mid 1990's, using various mics and mixes of those mics.

212-GTR BOG-SH MIX Vintage Speaker Collection
This is a Bogner Shiva open back 2x12 guitar cabinet, with various speakers manufactured before the mid 1990's, using various mics and mixes of those mics.

412-GTR MAR-CB MIX Modern Speaker Collection
This is a late 70's Marshall 1960B 4x12 'checkerboard' grill cloth guitar cabinet, with various speakers manufactured after the mid 1990's, using various mics and mixes of those mics.

412-GTR MAR-CB MIX Vintage Speaker Collection
This is a late 70's Marshall 1960B 4x12 'checkerboard' grill cloth guitar cabinet, with various speakers manufactured before the mid 1990's, using various mics and mixes of those mics.

All libraries contain IRs of a specific speaker in the cabinet, using various single mics, as well a mixes of those mics.
Those mixes are targeted to "studio" use versus "live" use, as explained in the PDF manuals. The microphones which were used are also explained in the PDF manuals.

Also, the IRs / mixed IRs come in 3 variations: SS, T1 and T2. This represents the power amp used to acquire the IRs. (Not to be confused with power amplification in the Amp block) The power amp type influences the tone of the IR slightly.

The OP's question is: Where to start?
As always I recommend taking it easy and simple.
Don't start off mixing IRs yourself.

If you mainly play rock or metal, try the Marshall CB cab library. From one of the V30 libraries (Celestion V30), select the "DYN 57 U3" IR, SS variation, and this should give you a mainstream rock tone. If you want your tone to be focussed on playback through FR amplification (rehearsals, gigs), select a Live or Median Mix IR instead. Or try the SP mixes for a proven recipe.

There are many types of speakers and microphones. One cannot expect Fractal or OwnHammer to explain about them. It would be like asking a car manufacturer to explain all types of available tires.
Here's some information about microphones

Last edited:
I have all the newest OH libraries and they're great, but how about the older V1 and V2 ones, which ones are favorites for what kind of tones?

The older libraries contain a MESA cabinet, which still is favorite of many.

Just bought the new 1x12 and 2x12 offerings from OH.

ok, let us know what you think of the 212 Bogner. Most here are talking about the Marshall 412 modern and not of the Bogner since they are fairly new.
Would like to know which IR's are the best for clean and fusion like (medium) drive tones.

damn... no Christmas Sale @ Ownhammer....

There was a introduction sale that ended yesterday, but I can assure you that @29 $ (approx 21 €) these packs are still insane value for what they offer - just get them and don't sweat that you could have got them slightly cheaper.
If you think about it, the 7€ you could have saved could have bought a beer or two at a café, that's all you've missed, and these IR's will continue to give you great tones.

ok, let us know what you think of the 212 Bogner. Most here are talking about the Marshall 412 modern and not of the Bogner since they are fairly new.
Would like to know which IR's are the best for clean and fusion like (medium) drive tones.

In case you don't already know this there is a dedicated section on this forum for IR's Axe-Fx II User Cabs and IRs, and currently a lot of talk about these new 112 and 212 OwnHammer IR's.

A few threads you might want to check out on these 112 and 212 cab packs

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...12-2x12-open-back-cabs-pre-releases-here.html

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-user-cabs-irs/79148-ownhammer-yt-video-new-112-212-cabs.html

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-user-cabs-irs/79128-new-ownhammers-kevin-roll.html

And even Cliff says that the IR makes 50% of the tone.So most of the magic is there

Even having the 4 described OH IR's* I tend to fall back to the 4x12 Mesa from OH

I think (for myself) best staring point is either(depending on your sound) the modern or the vintage pack

Roland

*19$ for the latest 2 is a special offer and a serious bargain

Last edited:
In case you don't already know this there is a dedicated section on this forum for IR's Axe-Fx II User Cabs and IRs, and currently a lot of talk about these new 112 and 212 OwnHammer IR's.

A few threads you might want to check out on these 112 and 212 cab packs

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...12-2x12-open-back-cabs-pre-releases-here.html

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-user-cabs-irs/79148-ownhammer-yt-video-new-112-212-cabs.html

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-user-cabs-irs/79128-new-ownhammers-kevin-roll.html

Thanks! Just jumping on the commercial IR's thing so it is all new to me. Totally missed these discussions. Just checking out the topics and videos. Seems most are geared towards the rock and metal tones. Wandering what IR's might sound 'best' for clean and fusion tones (although I realize this is highly subjective of course)?

Thanks! Just jumping on the commercial IR's thing so it is all new to me. Totally missed these discussions. Just checking out the topics and videos. Seems most are geared towards the rock and metal tones. Wandering what IR's might sound 'best' for clean and fusion tones (although I realize this is highly subjective of course)?

The DLX 112 cab pack and the Shiva 212 cab packs are both open back cabs and ideally suited to clean to mid gain tones.
Those are the ones I currently use for clean and fusion tones, and the ones I'd recommend for that kind of tones.

I have had great clean and fusion tones from the Marshall 412 cab pack as well though.

I think that the majority of players on this forum are rock an metal players, which is why there is most talk about IR's for that tonal application.

OP here....been busy with work and am just now catching up on the thread. Thank you so much for the information and other questions. I appreciate the point towards a general starting point.
Joe

OwnHammer's Studio Mix libraries are his latest.

The OP's question is: Where to start?
As always I recommend taking it easy and simple.
Don't start off mixing IRs yourself.

If you mainly play rock or metal, try the Marshall CB cab library. From one of the V30 libraries (Celestion V30), select the "DYN 57 U3" IR, SS variation, and this should give you a mainstream rock tone. If you want your tone to be focussed on playback through FR amplification (rehearsals, gigs), select a Live or Median Mix IR instead. Or try the SP mixes for a proven recipe.

Here's some information about microphones

Yek, thank you so much for this post. It's definitely becoming clearer now. I have one more question,

When you say try the Marshall CB cab library, do you mean the 412-GTR MAR-CB MIX Modern Speaker Collection? If not, I'm having a hard time finding it for some reason. I bought this one yesterday and I'll probably try it out the next couple of the days.

Bought vintage and modern packs $19 each.

I opened up axe edit but am not sure what to do to use these cabinets?

I know it's easy, but what program do I use or what is the step to sample the IR's?

Thanks

Use fractal bot. Run that and browse to the cab you want you want to load. Pick your location and save.

If you have axe edit open you will need to refresh your cabs. I think it's in the settings menu.

Thanks! I thought I tried Frac Bot but it was giving me an error message.

All I did was browse to a cab file that I saves in 2 folders on my desktop, Modern and Vintage.
And it was saying file not compatible. Let me try again as this was last night.

When I use Frac Bot is that NEW cab just being transferred in place of the cab that is already on the preset you are on? Where does the can go? Say if I'm on patch 001, and I use Frac Bot to pick a mixed patch for a V30, where does that new cab patch show up? On the preset I'm currently on?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks! I thought I tried Frac Bot but it was giving me an error message.

All I did was browse to a cab file that I saves in 2 folders on my desktop, Modern and Vintage.
And it was saying file not compatible. Let me try again as this was last night.

When I use Frac Bot is that NEW cab just being transferred in place of the cab that is already on the preset you are on? Where does the can go? Say if I'm on patch 001, and I use Frac Bot to pick a mixed patch for a V30, where does that new cab patch show up? On the preset I'm currently on?

Sorry for all the questions.

One the Axe, open the edit menu of the cab block, change the cab # to one of the user cab slots (or the scratchpad), this user cab slot will be the location the new IR will be stored at (for use with any preset you put that user cab in).
Then use Fractal Bot and browse for the cab that you want to transfer (pick the Axe Fx II IR folder) and hit transfer - done

Hope this helps
RB

Thanks Rocket Brother, that was More detail and what I needed, BUT..................I am getting frustrated! It is NOT working!:roll

I went to stock Patch 002, pressed EDIT, scrolled to the right under my Cabinet, Then went to the right until I reached User 1,

Opened Frac Bot: )Shows the following)

Axe-FX II green check mark and says Connected
Axe-FX II MIDI In green check mark
Axe-FX II Midi Out green check mark

2. Browsed to "OwnHammer_412_MAR-CB_V30-EN_T1_Studio-Modern.syx"

Then I get THIS message: The selection doers not appear to be a valid file for the Axe-FX II

Help? I am preplexed:roll

P.S. You said, "pick the Axe Fx II IR folder"????????????????? I assume you meant just pick where I stored the Ownhammer IR's, right?

Also, just to be sure it was talking to my AFX-II, I reinstalled the latest driver and that file transfer happened with no issues! I tried it again to install a cab file using Frac Bot and it ways file not compatible???

Back
Top Bottom