Custom IRs...where to start

Uignal

Inspired
I've been thinking about picking up some of the Ownhammer IRs. My problem is that I am not really sure where to start. I see several packs available on the site and each pack seems loaded with an abundance of options. I know that this is a personal flavor thing...but I'm not sure which pack I would benefit from the most.

I do play live and record with the Axe. I suppose my genre is more towards the hard rock side of things.

For those that have been there before...where did you start?
Thanks.
Joe

I would get the modern pack. That is the one I bought because I wanted a modern sound. Now with cab lab you can take any of them and just mix them together. Look at what speaker is in which package and see which speakers you like more and go from there.

I would get the modern pack. That is the one I bought because I wanted a modern sound. Now with cab lab you can take any of them and just mix them together. Look at what speaker is in which package and see which speakers you like more and go from there.

I'm assuming you mean the Modern 4x12? There are now 2x12 and 1x12 options on the OH site :)

Last week I finally took the plunge after MONTHS of researching and reading. Bought both the Vintage & Modern packs from OH, and was completely blown away. The hype was true, these IRs are the game changer.

For $19 each you can't go wrong, buy 'em both. I've been "mixing" with some of Scott Peterson's recipes and can't believe the difference it makes in my sound.

I apologize for the quick hijack. Can somebody explain to direct me to information about how to mix multiple it's? I've read the manual and some threads and for some reason have no clue what it is.

Thank you i advance

Same here. Also have no idea where to look on the Ownhammer site. For me the site is very unclear.

So much this. Best results I've had are with the new OWNHAMMER IR's with the Scott Peterson mixes ( SP mix). Killer thorough FRFR and direct to recording.

Quote from another topic. Any idea where to find these exactly on the Ownhammer site?

Same here. Also have no idea where to look on the Ownhammer site. For me the site is very unclear.

Quote from another topic. Any idea where to find these exactly on the Ownhammer site?

Here you go: Studio Mix Libraries : OwnHammer.com - Store

Each cab pack from the Studio Mix Libraries comes with both individual mics for each speaker and pre-arranged mixes for each speaker and also the choice of preamp used for capture. You won't see the mixes listed on the site but when you download the files, they're there and it's very obvious where they are.

Once that's done, basically, choose your speaker (ie Marhsall Vintage 30), Mic or Mix (ie Dynamic 57 or SP Mix, lots of options) and Poweramp used to capture (SS/T1/T2 - I prefer T1 currently).

To make it super simple, I'd say start with the SP mixes and T1, try out the different speakers and learn what speaker you like most for each amp. If you want to experiment from there with different power amps or mic mixes, you can do that. There's a tool from Fractal called CAB-LAB and it allows you to use the raw mics Ownhammer includes in the files to make your own mixes if you're really into tweaking. It can be as simple or as complex as you want. If you start with the SP mixes and T1 power amp, you'll get a great tone from pretty much any kind of rig (FRFR, Studio-Monitors, Headphones etc)

ok, thanks. It's more clear now. Think I will try the Bogner 212 studio mix. But think I will wait for the modern speaker version since this is a more modern amp.
My choice on the Bogner IR's is purely based on the amp Shiva amp models in the Axe fx. Both Shiva clean and Shiva lead are my go to amps so I guess the Bogner IR's might be good match (?). Never played on a real one though. Think the Bogner IR's might be better than the Marshall 412 IR's for clean and fusion drive tones?

Last edited:
One of the easiest ways to mix as explained by Scott is to go the Stereo route for the Cab and simply mix two different IRs right there in the preset patch. I've had great success just mixing the same speakers with different power amps (T1 and T2 mostly) , both at center.

ok, thanks. It's more clear now. Think I will try the Bogner 212 studio mix. But think I will wait for the modern speaker version since this is a more modern amp.
My choice on the Bogner IR's is purely based on the amp Shiva amp models in the Axe fx. Both Shiva clean and Shiva lead are my go to amps so I guess the Bogner IR's might be good match (?). Never played on a real one though. Think the Bogner IR's might be better than the Marshall 412 IR's for clean and fusion drive tones?

I dunno, it's cool but I personally like having the flexibility of lots of cabs and amps. That's why I like the axe in the first place. FWIW, I use the OH marshall g12t-75 speakers with my shiver presets.

i took awhile but finally just jumped in a bought a few. I started with the "free" IRs you can find in several posts. That showed me how much of a difference an IR can make in your sound. After that, it was just a matter of how much I could afford. I also went and got a bunch of the Silent Underground IRs as well. After investing $2k in the Axe, another $100 in over 1,000 "modifications" on what it could do seemed pretty cheap.

If you gig and record and like to tweak your sound or search for sounds, I'd consider it akin to a library for a writer. You can dramatically alter the sound of 1 amp just by changing the IRs.

Once you get some IRs, the best advice I read was (in order to not have to sample every one) was to take the first, middle & last of the spectrum of an IR and then sample more of the ones you like. Thus, on a scale of 1-10, you sampled 1, 5 & 10 and liked #10, then start there with the other IRs and it should cater to your personal taste more. But you know that if you wanted something other than what you liked most, you could head to the other end (the 5's and 1's) and get a completely different sound.

I've been thinking about picking up some of the Ownhammer IRs. My problem is that I am not really sure where to start. I see several packs available on the site and each pack seems loaded with an abundance of options. I know that this is a personal flavor thing...but I'm not sure which pack I would benefit from the most.

I do play live and record with the Axe. I suppose my genre is more towards the hard rock side of things.

For those that have been there before...where did you start?
Thanks.
Joe

I betatest Ownhammer IR's and use the OwnHammer IR's almost exclusivly and think they are the dogs bol..... , I'd really advice you to get them all as they all offer different shades of greatness.
But IF you only want to get on then based on what you describe (hard rock side of things), then I'd advice you to get either the vintage or modern Marshall 412 pack, depending on whether you prefere vintage or modern hard rock tones.

Hey guys, a couple of quick questions.

1. which IR pack do you guys recommend for purchase? I usually play metal and I'm recently going through djent and fusion phase.

2. Can these IR be use live? If so, how?

Thanks in advance

Just bought the new 1x12 and 2x12 offerings from OH. The timer said I only had 2 hours left on the introductory price and after that they were going up by $10. So glad I checked on this tonight, so I was able to get both.

Hey guys, a couple of quick questions.

1. which IR pack do you guys recommend for purchase? I usually play metal and I'm recently going through djent and fusion phase.

2. Can these IR be use live? If so, how?

Thanks in advance

In that case start with the Marshall Modern pack.

In all honesty not many. I came from the line 6 community and in im very ignorant when it comes to this topic.

Back
Top Bottom