Currently I am running 2 guitars to out1L + R. Is it possible to...

Mr.RangoTango

Experienced
Hi guys!
I am currently running mo own guitar and the second guitarist in to my axe. We've splitted the signal so that I am going left and he is going right out of out1. Now.. that's for band rehearsal and small stages where we need need volume from our own cabs. On top of that, we would very much like to be able to run both our signal out of out2 left and right to FOH. Is that possible?

So:
Guitar 1, Guitar 2 -> Axe fx input L + R -> Out 1 L + R (our own cabs and without cab sims) + Out 2 L+R (with cab sims to FOH). Is there enough fx blocks for two grids or how should I do it?

Thank you !

Jakob

It might be easier to run out 2 for your cabs (fx loop before cab block) and out 1 with cabs for FOH.

Place two volume blocks right after the input block in your grid. Set the first one to "input select: left" and the second to "input select: right". Then you have basicly two seperate paths in your grid.

Make sure you pan the last block in each row hard left and right so they don't get "mixed" and you still have seperate signals on your outputs. You can also use the output mixer for that.

The Axe should have enough power to process both guitars with a decent amount of effects. You are limited in terms of foot-controlling, though.

Some advices for such a setup:
- Make sure one guitar uses input 1 front and the second input 1 rear R. This way you have seperate A/D input level controls.
- If you desperately need CPU, use the cab blocks in Ultra Res (or Lo-Res) instead of Hi-Res
- If one of you uses the MFC, you can use the external switches and pedals for the other player - if you don't have one, you can also utilize the PEDAL jack on the back for a single switch/pedal.
- Use scenes with such a setup - it makes a lot of stuff easier; if you add the bypass state of the second player's effects to external controls, the scene switching will not override the bypass states of those effects

Thank you Zwiebelchen :)

I've already got the grid setup as you've mentioned, but I don't know how to use both outputs with two guitars :) Like I asked in OP :)

But actually, I've thought about the fact that if I were to buy a MFC - then how should the other player change patches? Currently we use a midi-merger, but i think my fcb1010 died last time I accidentally dropped it on the ground

Simply use the output echo option in I/O. Set it to "Output 1" and Output 2 should have the same signal as Output 1. You even have different volume control and Output EQ then.

You can not make both players change presets individually, as both players always have to share a preset. You can, however, use a Mixer blocks, volume blocks or null filters to enable/disable a chain of effects with just one button press for the other player.

Remember that the CPU power of the Axe somehow limits you in your freedom here, so you should carefully consider who needs "more" control.

With the MFC, you basicly have this at your disposal:

The MFC + 2 expression pedals for the "master" guitarist.
2 dual-switch buttons and 2 expression pedals for the "slave" guitarist. Plus one more button/expression pedal if you use the PEDAL jack on the rear of the Axe.

An example of a possible two player setup could look like this:
The main guitarist can use scenes and IAs normally to change effect states on his side. All effects on the second guitarist have their bypass states mapped to external control 1-4. The expression pedal is in the PEDAL jack.
Switch 1 controls external control 1, switch 2 controls external control 2, etc..
If you, for example, map the bypass state of a chorus block to external control 1, then the bypass state will not change when guitarist #1 changes scenes (with the appropriate MFC settings).

If you want multiple effects turned on or off for the second guitarist with just one button switch, you can map the same external control number to multiple blocks. You can also make two blocks mutual exclusive by reversing the modifier curve for one block.

If you want to change the amp tone of player 2, then you must basicly use a drive pedal or map gain/master/level, etc. to an external control. This is because changing scenes will basicly reset the X/Y state of the amp block of player 2, even if he changed it manually before.

Last edited:
Okay that's great to know ! It seems like there's a lot of undiscovered ground there!

I will write some more when i'm sober again! Thanks

Output 2 Echo won't work because you want cab sims at one output only.

What you connect to the FX Loop block goes to output 2. Place the cab blocks after everything else. Branch from the last effect just before cab in each path and connect to the FXL block. Pan those rows L/R as needed at the FXL page 1 mixer.

A block can have more than one connection to input. Connect both rows to the one FXL block, use the balance controls on the first FXL page to pan the signals L/R.

Back
Top Bottom