Currently 7.01, upcoming tour, should I be scared to update to 8.0b?

mrtheedge2u

Inspired
Hey guys, I'm not sure if I am understanding everyone when they are talking about how the updates are affecting volume levels, resets of amp blocks etc. I have some really big shows coming up the beginning of June, and I'm afraid to update to the 8.0b. Can someone in layman's terms tell me what exactly I will need to adjust? I use 98% AC30 amp modeling in my tones, and tons of effects. I'm not even sure the update affects that amp model.

Nevertheless, I always lean towards updates because the improvements are always awesome. I'm just afraid with limited time if I would "F" everything I've worked so hard to create and not enough time to make the adjustments. I use about 75 different presets so the work would be immense.

If you properly backup /restore all yourFW software, presets and System, it is simple to try new FW with dUplicates of your show presets without fear of screwing shit up. and especially in the case of this FW, the benefits are for sure worth the effort.

If you properly backup /restore all yourFW software, presets and System, it is simple to try new FW with dUplicates of your show presets without fear of screwing shit up. and especially in the case of this FW, the benefits are for sure worth the effort.
Ok, I'll give it a whirl. Thanks!

Personally if I were REALLY happy with what you currently have , and your 75 programs are already set up for your tour, I would definitely NOT update. . That's just me though. . It took me a long time getting my programs re-set up the last time I updated, and even though I backed up everything, I'd hate to go backwards after an update, so if I had time off After the tour, then's when I'd do it. . It took me a few weeks last time to recover from a big update, but my update was like 3 to 7 or something like that. I am VERY handy programming things too, but I don't use axe-edit and didn't of course 'write down ' every parameter I changed from default in all my programs. . When I did the soft-reset of all the amps , it totally screwed up/changed all my programs. . BUT for someone who uses axe-edit, AND has no fear of re-installing a previous version of fw if you ran out of time to make everything perfect for your tour, no big deal :) Good luck, Eric

p.s. I would never update to a 'beta' version for a big tour. Typically the guys doing that are guys who use these at home, or have backup plans with them. Betas are test versions . . . It might be 95% perfect, but what if the bugs effect your programs? Anyway, I do gig with my AX8 without a serious backup plan, but I play within 60 miles of my home and play in coverbands, and can come up with backup plans quickly at any of our venues. If I was really touring, nah, I'd have to be more certain about what's going to work and not to use any beta version. With all that said, I sound negative, BUT I'm not.. . just an experienced guitarist who's a realist. I also have nothing negative to say about the Ax8 or Fractal. I frickin love this

Last edited:
8.0 sounds really good. Tough call. As long as you backup everything and can go back if need be I'd say go for it. I'm gigging with the beta tomorrow night but I've had 3 band rehearsals with it along with practicing our set with it at home it so I'm comfortable there won't be any surprises. (Knock on wood) :eek: Are you going to have a chance to rehearse with the band if you update?

Last edited:
8.01 sounds really good.
This week, I upgraded Metallica from 6.03 to 8.01 on the day before their first show. We re-selected the amp type, set basic amp controls back to desired positions, adjusted amp OUTPUT LEVEL, and it was done except for some minor tweaks to output level.

My POV is.....a gig is not for testing. If not tried at least twice on rehearsals, wait. As I'm playin' with cover bands I use a lot of presets as well. My solution is storing each preset or bank separately. When tested with a new firmware I'm using it. If not, revert back to the previos version. It is not comfortable and consuming a lot resources....but....
P.S. 8.0b is the first firmware with I'm quite satisfied in my in-ears! Up to this time I've never heard sound like this...

8.01 sounds really good.
This week, I upgraded Metallica from 6.03 to 8.01 on the day before their first show. We re-selected the amp type, set basic amp controls back to desired positions, adjusted amp OUTPUT LEVEL, and it was done except for some minor tweaks to output level.
Yeah, but AX8 8.00 is still in beta, and the beta thread contains some disturbing bug reports, so I think the case is a bit different. It's not like 7.01 sounds bad. Meanwhile, 7.02 beta seems to be really stable and has a few goodies compared to 7.01, so that might be worth it.

in my experience one should never be an early adopter of FW/SW releases unless you have time on your hands 2 troubleshoot the product for free...

8.01 sounds really good.
I think it varies too much from patch to patch to make general assumptions. Some patches might be easily adaptable with only minor changes, others need to be re-created from scratch. Think of Danny's famous VH patches for example. A lot of people including myself loved this patch to death, but so far nobody managed to adapt it to the latest firmware (again including myself, but I suck at (re)creating patches). :(

Many of us stick to the basic controls and get our sound by trying the different amps, maybe something we wouldn't typically try. Then when we update, we aren't chasing advanced parameters, just basic. This won't work for everyone, but it's a fact that people turn knobs simply because they can, and when they happen to try default, it is in line with what they were seeking the whole time.

It's really good that FAS allow the general forum user base to partake in the final phase of beta testing ........ but at the same time you still have to remember that you have to leave yourself the time to thoroughly test the beta in 'field' conditions.

Important show/tour coming up? Then if were me ...... no I would not feel fully confident in using a beta release.

You can of course do a full backup first and try the beta with your presets and try to tweak them into shape if needed with little risk as you can always fall back to the previous system & presets again.

But the thing I'd ask myself in your position is why spend time tweaking a beta? Betas are for testing for bugs and will eventually be replaced with a stable release .... and if you're in a regularly gigging band I think it's better use of your time by tweaking presets on the release version.

Full Backup of current system/presets/cabs (and remember to retain the FW installer for it too)

Install the latest release FW when it appears - test your presets and tweak

If the new system and presets aren't quite in shape yet and a show coming up then fully backup everything and re-load the old system for the show.

After the show - re-install the current release FW and load the partially tweaked backed up system/presets/cabs and continue tweaking/backing up until ready.

Then of course FAS will probably release the next version FW and you start it all over again :)

8.01 sounds really good.

Thanks for all the feedback fellas. I went ahead, backed everything up and took the plunge and updated. Come to find out I was still on 6.02.

After the install, I found that I had to adjust about 60% of the output volumes on my amp block. Other than that it was pretty good.

Here's my question now, based on M@'s response. Am I supposed to go into each preset, remove the amp block, then add it again for the update to work properly? Is that what I'm understanding?? Please explain

What Matt suggests is a 'soft reset' of the amp block. You just have to select another amp and then go back to the amp, you were at before. This will set most but not all parameters in the amp block to their default values - The wiki has a deeper explanation http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=AMP_block#Re-select_or_reset:_Amp_block_defaults
Thank you so much I will look into this So what you are saying is I am not taking advantage of the full update until I do that, correct?

Back
Top Bottom