Curious: how many use frfr or cab for “your” stage sound

I use my Fender FR12 on stage direct to Fractal so I can control what I hear. It's FRFR but sounds more like an amp than any other stage monitor I've used in the past

Depends on the ensemble and the venue. I do have powered monitors I can use when I’m not confident I’ll get a reliable monitor mix (IEM or wedge). I can’t recall a gig with my Fractal where I haven’t gone through FoH, but I could do it if necessary in a smaller venue.

I have an Atomic CLR cabinet behind me in kinda a traditional amp placement and get some of my signal from the monitors.

I run 1 or 2 FRFR's depending on stage size from output 2 and L/R FOH from output 1 which goes to the PA and 5 separate stereo monitor mixes for band mates (we all run IEM's). The only reason I run the FRFR's is for my guitar to hear and react to them. I have a few songs that I actually touch the head of my guitar to the grill of the FRFR for crazy sustain.

Since my stage is going to be twitch FRFR is the only sound I use. I run my Elis 8's low on 1.5 / 10 in my studio.

I use a wireless connection (Iphone) to record and OBS Studio.

I count on the full sound of my Redsounds to capture the beauty of the FM9.

The Elis 8 Active Speaker does sound like a REAL amp but it's am FRFR system.

Out 1 goes to my FRFR in Stereo

Out 2 goes to my DAW in Stereo

They are both identical signal. Out 2 - copy -- Out 1

Last edited:
I send Out 2 L&R to front of house and send just the left Out 1 to an FRFR wedge on stage for monitoring.
If I had a situation where I couldn't run straight to FOH and had to run my FRFR at stage volume, I could... but I'd probably opt for a better FRFR then.
I use a Headrush 112 and it's...fine.

Get the RS Elis 8's or MF 10's. They won't dissapoint. In fact, I believe nowadays FAS sells them/ recommends them, in a package deal with the Fractal Audio Hardware like the FM9/AF3.
Already use the RS MF10s but wondered if there was an equivalent stereo option in just one cab.

I use a Powercab112+ in Flat/RAW (no tweeter, not FRFR) mode with no cab block in FM9 to Out 2, and also send stereo from Out 1 to FOH and IEM with a cab block. Gives the best of both worlds. The Powercab speaker sounds pretty good all by itself, not quite as good as a FRFR.

I'm a belt and suspenders kinda guy at gigs, so I have 1, but usually 2 backups of everything at a gig. I keep my CLR low level, mainly there in case there's an issue where I need stage sound (I can't tell you how many gigs I actually forgot to even turn it on). I LOVE hearing my axe III through my IEM's at gigs. I always run direct to FOH...stereo when able or I give them one XLR when forced to run mono.

I bought a Mission 2x12 stereo FRFR and it sounds awesome but, honestly, it's heavy as hell. So, I bought one Redsound MF-10 and it has become my on-stage gig monitor. It sounds amazing and has more than enough volume for any situation.

Back
Top Bottom