curious-Anyone use Kinman pups with Axe?

I have the Jazzmaster-Fatmaster set.

I ended up putting them in a Squier Vintage Modified Jazzy and absolutely love them, though the pair of PUs costs as much as the guitar did. The tone is fantastic, IMO, and the fact that they're dead quiet is icing on the cake.

A set of strat style Blues for about ten years. Still in a strat...still use 'em. Wonderful sounding. Clean, chimey and completely noiseless. Tried some Sexcoils about a year ago. Stayed in my strat for one day. Kinmans went right back in.

I play nothing very heavy. Blues-rock, classic rock. I do use a SD hot rails bridge with the Kinmans for a blower switch.z

Gary Moore apparently used their Blues set and Woodstock Regular. I'm tempted to get the Woodstock set for my Strat. Since I removed the neck finish the only thing keeping me from playing it non-stop is the EMI hum with the factory single coils.

A set of strat style Blues for about ten years. Still in a strat...still use 'em. Wonderful sounding. Clean, chimey and completely noiseless. Tried some Sexcoils about a year ago. Stayed in my strat for one day. Kinmans went right back in.

I play nothing very heavy. Blues-rock, classic rock. I do use a SD hot rails bridge with the Kinmans for a blower switch.z

Sounds a lot like me, I do throw a bunch of Steely Dan and that type of "jazzy rock type stuff also.

Boy, how do you choose?

I had the Woodstock Plus set with k9 switching in an American Deluxe Strat. That was an amazing set up. Loved the treble bleed volume pot and High Def Tone Control. Extremely versatile Strat. I miss that guitar (minus the weight). Total workhorse. Great trem.

Woodstocks here and one of his wiring harnesses too.

Great vintage tone with the expected vintage amount of string pull, i.e. not too much!

I actually use the bridge pup quite a bit with the tone rolled off. Not very typical for me on a Strat.

The quack positions are not very exciting I'm afraid. I think that is true of all Kinman's but I'm not positive on that. 2 & 4 work fine, just not very much quack in the tone.

Good point about the quack. Not as pronounced, but still nice and unique. I could still cop a good The Edge sound with the right amp and settings (both pre Axe FX and after). In fact, less quack was almost nice.

If so, which ones?

Thanks
AVn 59 (neck) and AVn 62 (I think) (middle)

I have had them for about 8+ years..the logo is pretty well worn off the covers.
These match to the FX2 front end really nice. Nice glassy chime on top, not very strong in the low end like many strat neck position pups we hear.
Dead quiet.
The only screw up was I didn't pay attention to the pole piece spacing when I ordered them originally. The poles DO NOT line up with all the strings on my MIJ 80's strat. They are WIDER than my string profile.

I have an Impersonator 54 set w/k9 switching, tone knob etc. Sounds amazing and I'm not lacking any quack fwiw. Seems just right. Most usable tone knob I've ever had.

The only truly useable tone control.

The ones on my Forshage Orion guitars are good though. Not sure what caps he uses, but I like it!

Wow......Great info.............I'm getting some--Just have to decide which ones. Even though I am a Strat person, I don't care about the quack............My 06 deluxe has plenty, I'm getting the Kinmans for my 89 USa Standard......kind of tired of the CS Fat 50's.........and would like the noiseless.

Thanks everyone

Back
Top Bottom