Crystal Echoes: Crossfade time removed?

Bakerman

Axe-Master
Apparently crossfade time and crossfade type parameters were removed from the Crystal Echoes pitch type over 3 years ago (firmware 12.08). I couldn't find any comments about this here.

Improved Crystal Echoes algorithm. The Crossfade Time and Crossfade Type parameters have been removed as they are no longer applicable.

I'm not sure what "no longer applicable" means or what crossfade type would set (linear vs. logarithmic fades?), but crossfade time now seems to be fixed at 50% of the (shifted) splice length. So during any given segment, you're hearing an earlier segment fade out during the first half and the next segment fade in during the second half. This is very limiting and prevents some musical (IMO) applications that were possible before with crossfade time near minimum. Specifically: using octave, 5th or 4th up/down shift to get a distinct counterpoint line at simple rhythmic ratios (1:2, 2:3, 3:4) to your playing, or maybe a synth sequence. Even with other shift values or imperfect alignment, it could be a nice effect. Trying this now sounds like a total mess because it's always crossfading between two pieces--like putting an extra delay at equal volume and opposing tremolo effects on the two extra parts.

Can adjustable crossfade time be restored to crystal echoes type somehow?

Any crystal echo users here? I just checked the Axe-FX II, and crossfade time at 100% on the II matches the current Axe-FX III crossfading.

Here are a couple examples of crystal shifters with minimal/zero crossfading.

(2:58) octave-up reverse stereo crystal shifts, also 8th & quarter-note L/R delays with no crystals.

(0:29) The entire track has reverse crystals and other fx but the lack of fades is most apparent here. Shifts seem to be an 11th up (+17) if the lower diving note isn't pitch shifted.

These Eventide sounds in a bunch of Vai tunes and other things mentioned above are impossible now with Crystal Echoes' fixed 100% crossfade time. Two granules crossfading constantly is quite different from one resultant line at steady volume. Trying to get some of these sounds now would be about as futile as approximating U2/Edge delay sounds with a reverb block.

Can crossfade time be restored to get the pre-2020 flexiblity of Crystal Echoes?

The Plex Delay's Plex Shift type is similar to Crystal Echoes and also uses 100% crossfade time. If that could have adjustable crossfades it would be a totally usable 4, 6, or 8-voice crystal shifter, as far as I can tell. Plex Shift w/ 4 voices only uses ~0.5% more CPU than Crystal Echoes (III Turbo) and it would be nice to not always require one or both pitch blocks for this type of effect.

Back
Top Bottom