AFIII Crushing Day (Satriani) partial cover

Very nicely done! What is that guitar and awesome fretboard graphic?
Thank you. That's my McNaught Phoenix Rising. Totally custom, triple-threat guitar. I did a review of it when I got endorsed by them. It's on Youtube.

Last edited:
The one solo that Joe can only play if he’s sitting down. I think The Bells Of Lal 2 or Devils Slide seem like his most difficult but I think it’s this one. You can “wing it” with the others but Crushing Day kinda has to be accurate lol

Well done, sir!

The one solo that Joe can only play if he’s sitting down. I think The Bells Of Lal 2 or Devils Slide seem like his most difficult but I think it’s this one. You can “wing it” with the others but Crushing Day kinda has to be accurate lol

Well done, sir!
Thank you! Bells of Lal 2, to me, has a very improvised feel. I wouldn't be surprised if that was like take 1 or 2 all the way through. That's how crazy awesome Joe was back then. Is it harder? I don't think so, although there are some crazy whammy tricks I never mastered there.

I did play Crushing Day live a few days later, standing up, by the way. But perhaps I finger it different than Joe (same notes) so that it's possible. Haha. I haven't watched how he plays it. I just made a few adjustments from the tab book that weren't possible to play quite that fast that way.

Thank you! Bells of Lal 2, to me, has a very improvised feel. I wouldn't be surprised if that was like take 1 or 2 all the way through. That's how crazy awesome Joe was back then. Is it harder? I don't think so, although there are some crazy whammy tricks I never mastered there.

I did play Crushing Day live a few days later, standing up, by the way. But perhaps I finger it different than Joe (same notes) so that it's possible. Haha. I haven't watched how he plays it. I just made a few adjustments from the tab book that weren't possible to play quite that fast that way.

Considering the era and his prowess, I'd be willing to bet it's 100% improvised. That's what I was saying about how Lal 2 may "seem" harder but it isn't really. Ice 9 is probably my favorite to play from that album because I like to do all of the guitar parts in the verses, but Crushing Day is one I never quite got perfect.

In Joe's book, he talks about how it, and the clip below is when he did it. Pretty awesome!!

Considering the era and his prowess, I'd be willing to bet it's 100% improvised. That's what I was saying about how Lal 2 may "seem" harder but it isn't really. Ice 9 is probably my favorite to play from that album because I like to do all of the guitar parts in the verses, but Crushing Day is one I never quite got perfect.

In Joe's book, he talks about how it, and the clip below is when he did it. Pretty awesome!!

What is Joe's book? Maybe I should get it.

Yep, there it is. He plays the part at 1:57 with the wide stretches the same as the 2nd half of that bridge part when it goes up an octave. I don't, I use the open D and G strings like the tab book, so no need to sit down or put your foot on the monitor and rest the guitar there. So I play both octaves differently to make it work standing.

Oddly, Ice 9 is one of the few I never learned much of. I learned Always With Me, Echo, Circles, Midnight and Crushing Day, plus most of Lords Of Karma from the the Surfing CD.

Last edited:
It’s called Strange Beautiful Music. It goes through his entire life and career. He gets into quite a bit of detail about his early albums were done and how certain songs were approached. It’s really great!

It’s called Strange Beautiful Music. It goes through his entire life and career. He gets into quite a bit of detail about his early albums were done and how certain songs were approached. It’s really great!
Thanks! I watched a bio about him recently. Or a long interview, him talking about moving to Japan and being in a Hendrix tribute band. Interesting stuff.

Back
Top Bottom