Crossover Frequency on FRFRs - How Important?

Valhalla

I've been speccing the usual suspects - Yamaha DXR and DZR, QSC, JBL SRX812 and RCF HD or NX 32-A.
Not a band or covers application, just solo ambient guitar with guitar synth, loops, reverbs, some -12 pitch shifting.
Crossover frequency is usually around 2kHz on most of them, but the higher end like RCFs are 700Hz with larger voice coils.
I don't have much knowledge in this department. I'm about to make an investment and want to make the best choice.
I would prefer a PA type speaker that can function as a floor monitor or FOH, I don't know if that's asking too much.
How much does crossover frequency matter, or is it more important to consider plastic vs wood cabinet, fan vs convection?
Could use some guidance here. Thanks.

I've been speccing the usual suspects - Yamaha DXR and DZR, QSC, JBL SRX812 and RCF HD or NX 32-A.
Not a band or covers application, just solo ambient guitar with guitar synth, loops, reverbs, some -12 pitch shifting.
Crossover frequency is usually around 2kHz on most of them, but the higher end like RCFs are 700Hz with larger voice coils.
I don't have much knowledge in this department. I'm about to make an investment and want to make the best choice.
I would prefer a PA type speaker that can function as a floor monitor or FOH, I don't know if that's asking too much.
How much does crossover frequency matter, or is it more important to consider plastic vs wood cabinet, fan vs convection?
Could use some guidance here. Thanks.
You've picked several great cabs there, I think they'll all make you happy.

I run the srx812p and love them.

I'm not sure that crossover frequency makes that much difference.
Any chance you can audition them?

And how loud do you want to run them? I find the larger cd's hold together better at high volumes.

Can't audition, no stores in my area can be bothered to stock even the DXRs.
Not very loud really. Smaller places, bookstores, art galleries, modest church halls, wherever local space/ambient/electronic music shows are held. The reason for wanting 12s is for the frequency range.
Those SRX812p do look great. Honestly, it's down to those vs DZR12 and RCF NX 32-A.
I appreciate the replies!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom