Crossover Block Frequency Adjustment

200man

Power User
For some reason, entering a crossover frequency seems peculiar to me.
If the x10 parameter is selected the correct frequency displays but I can only use the dial, I cannot just doink it in directly. It doesn't affect my ability to make great tones, :) , but it would be easier if you could. Is this by design?

Also, does anyone know the crossover type hard coded into this block?

Thanks folks...

5.5 Crossover [XVR]

This two-way stereo crossover contains 4th-order Linkwitz-Reilly filters.

Thank you sir!

I wonder how this translates to the steepness of the curve.
6 or 12dB would be nice....but anything steeper might be too abrupt for a smooth transition...maybe?
Anyhow, I am glad this block is in the axe. :)

4th order Linkwitz-Riley filters give a flat response summed signal when the two signals are recombined. Shallower sloped filters will bleed more signal beyond the cutoff frequency resulting in a summed signal that has an overall boost centered at the cutoff frequency.

You can use two filter blocks in parallel instead if you want to adjust the slope. Set one to high pass, the other to low pass, and set the cutoff frequency the same in both. It's a bit more work but you have more options if needed.

Last edited:
You can use two filter blocks in parallel instead if you want to adjust the slope. Set one to high pass, the other to low pass, and set the cutoff frequency the same in both. It's a bit more work but you have more options if needed.

I understand...but both blocks are 24dB/octave...how is it that the slope can be adjusted?

I use two blocks:
-one low pass in series with the tone match block
-one in parallel to the other crossover block and tone match

I cannot create a smooth transition with such a steep slope.
If I am missing something here I apologize. :)

4th order Linkwitz-Riley filters give a flat response summed signal when the two signals are recombined. Shallower sloped filters will bleed more signal beyond the cutoff frequency resulting in a summed signal that has an overall boost centered at the cutoff frequency.

Couldn't offsetting the frequencies of the 2 blocks in this case attenuate the "bump" somewhat ?

I understand...but both blocks are 24dB/octave...how is it that the slope can be adjusted?

I use two blocks:
-one low pass in series with the tone match block
-one in parallel to the other crossover block and tone match

I cannot create a smooth transition with such a steep slope.
If I am missing something here I apologize. :)

I think mr. fenders means to use 2 filter blocks in parallel instead of the x-over block

OOOOkay...sorry...thanks..
So, this was what I tried in the beginning of this trek but the attenuation appeared inadequate.

But!
Two selections for slope in the filter block: 2nd order(12dB/octave) and 4th order(24dB/octave).
So selecting the 2nd order would be less aggressive, and that's better.
...and that coupled with 2 filter blocks...using the high and low PASS type...would act exactly like a 12dB 2 way crossover.
..as opposed to the crossover block which is stuck at 24.....
I get it....thank you mr.fender and hubertus!

Last edited:
To further add to the capability I see that the "Q" for the low and high pass types can be used to further effect the slope.
Properly applied, it seems that an even gentler crossover slope may be effected.

This was very easy to change.

I will only add that if restricting a tone match to a particular frequency band is desired, that the last step is to adjust the hi pass filter "level" to align.

Anyhoo, this worked better than the crossover blocks so I am in your debt mr_fender. :)

Back
Top Bottom