Creating Custom IR Blends and Having "Phasey" Issues When Importing Into Axe

I have recently began creating custom blends of impulse responses within my DAW and outputting the resultant composite IR's to be used in my Axe-Fx Ultra.

I have had good success throughout all of the steps, until I get to the "wav to sysex conversion" and "upload to Axe-Fx" stage. I am able to do both the conversion and the upload, but the results do not sound correct. I am hoping that some of the experts here might have some insight to offer.

My process has been to create a 24bit 48k session in Pro Tools and create a number of aux tracks, being fed in parallel by my Axe-Fx Ultra. On each of these aux tracks, I insert an instance of TL Space (my convolution reverb program) and load an appropriate IR from my Redwirez library. I then set levels and panning to taste, as I would in a traditional recording session. Once I've got something I like, I send an impulse trigger along a bus to these aux tracks and record the result as a stereo file. I then normalize and trim the IR.

To ensure that the IR was created properly, I reimport the new composite IR into another aux track and A/B the results of sending my Axe-Fx through this and the multi-track IR set-up.

I then bounce the file down as separate mono 24bit 48k wav files for the left and for the right sides of the stereo composite IR.

Everything up to this point has worked ideally.

My desire is to load each of these into a separate User Cab slot and to run two mono hi-res cab blocks using each these IR's in parallel, each hard panned, so that I can replicate the sound of the stereo composite IR within a patch.

I have been successful in both converting the individual IR's to sysex as well as loading them into the appropriate User Cab slot in the Axe-Fx using Albert's IR Converter. However, the result has yielded what sounds like the two halves of the IR (each in their own Cab block) are now somehow out of phase with each other.

I've tried sending the IR's to the Axe-Fx both by first separately converting to sysex then uploading, and alternately by opening the wav file and just clicking "upload." The results are quite different for some reason, but neither sound correct. FYI, when comparing the graph's of the wav versus the sysex version of the file, the phase plot looks similar, but different.

I've attempted to troubleshoot the process as much as possible on my end before asking for help. I've been able to verify that the composite IR (before conversion) works as it should, the Axe-Fx is outputting its left and right signals in the proper phase when not using these new composite IR's, and that no other setting or factor outside of the conversion and upload process can be found suspect.

I've created waveforms of the Axe-Fx using both guitar playing as well as a 1kHz sinusoidal test wave sent through a blank patch with only two cab blocks in parallel, each hard panned and each loaded with one half of the stereo IR (left on one side and right on the other). I've compared the waveforms of the patch with the cab blocks active, and also with the cab blocks bypassed and then run through the composite IR in my DAW. The former sounds out of phase between the left and the right sides (similar to the effect of placing too much stereo enhancer on a stereo track or delaying one side slightly, with the effect being more noticeable when playing certain notes) and the waveform shows that the left and right are not in proper phase alignment (although there seems to be no delay between the start of one side versus the other and they do not seem to be in perfect polar reversal). The track using the composite IR in the DAW both sounds and looks as it should.

Edit: After further troubleshooting, I'm finding that there is a certain amount of this "phaseyness" on each mono IR after loaded into the Axe, even when soloed, and so not simply a matter of the relationship between the left and right sides (although this is also an issue). Once again, this seems more apparent at certain frequencies or when playing certain notes (bending the low F# up to G on the low E string is a common focal point with its octaves have similar, although lesser effect). Frequency dependent phase issues? After double checking the IR's again in my convolution program, I still see no sign of these issues. I wondered if anything had to do with the truncation in the Axe to 1024 samples, so created truncated versions to re-import into my convolution program. This had no effect on the "phaseyness," although it did make me appreciate what a longer sample length IR offers. ;-)

At this point, I am simply guessing that something as part of the conversion and/or upload process is causing the files to change. I am only guessing here and have no idea as to how address the issue.

Any insight and help would be greatly appreciated!

Also, if anyone can recommend an alternate wav to sysex conversion utility (I'm on a Mac) so that I can test this part of the process as well, I'd be grateful.

I want to stress that I am very grateful for Albert's IR Converter and all of his hard work in creating that as well as his other numerous contributions to this community. I am not trying to insinuate that it does not work properly, I am just trying to present what I know in detail so that the experts here can have as much information as possible to make assessment and recommendations.

I'd also like to say quickly that the blends I have been able to come up with so far with the Redwirez cabs that I have are sounding really great. I'm very excited by the possibilities and am hoping that I can get past this last hurtle and get it all working in time for some upcoming recording.

Thanks in advance to everyone wishing to help out on this!

-Matt

Last edited:
wow that sounds like alot of work. i just use ir lab it is well worth the money. simplify everything.

I have done this in the past and it worked.
Here are a few pointers:

- I used the Fractal converter (NOT the Albert one)
I don't know if it makes any difference, just pointing it out.

I then bounce the file down as separate mono 24bit 48k wav files for the left and for the right sides of the stereo composite IR.
I think this is the root of the problem!
DAWs have a problem with files that are less then a second.
They do nasty stuff to them (panning laws, anti clipping stuff, internal fade in and so on...)

The best solution is to open the Stereo file in a Wave editor,
highlight the Right channel and click DELETE, "Save as" what's left as "L"
Open the Stereo file again and DELETE the Left channel, "Save as" what's left as "R"

-Now, take a very close look at the "L" and the "R"
If there is any peak level difference between them you need to write it down.
Both the Fractal and Albert converters will normalize the files before converting them, you can not avoid this
but you can re-introduce this dB difference in the AXE-FX.
If left was 2 dB lower, then you need to reduce the level by -2dB in the AXE-FX otherwise this little
difference can ruin the whole idea.

I hope this helps, some of the "Stereo pair IRs" I created are my all time favorites.
Except that I'm AXE-less at the moment... but that's another story.

:idea

Last edited:
Redbud: Actually the process is pretty quick and gives me a lot of control. It also gives me access to all my other resources in Pro Tools such as my high end EQ's, detailed waveform editing, etc. I'm very comfortable in Pro Tools and, unfortunately, IR Lab is not an option for me as I'm Mac based. Thanks for the suggestion, though! =-)

Andrew Simon: Thanks for taking the time to help me troubleshoot this. I tried your suggestion and analyzing the waveform of the reimported mono files re-summed as a stereo pair, there is no visual difference between them and the original stereo file. I've zoomed in at the waveform level and all seems to be identical. Both work fine in the convolution program and sound identical. Going through the process you stated and bouncing separate mono files yields the same results, unfortunately.

I wasn't aware about the converter normalizing the files. Thanks for the heads up there. I guess that is good for some folks, but not really for me. Do you know if is using a peak or rms method? I assume peak, since you made mention of noting the waveform peaks.

Another thought... Do the IR's need to be truncated to 1024 samples before converting to avoid issues? I had assumed that it would simply drop the data that extended past its length restriction. If so, is best practice to leave a sharp cut or to add a short fade out at the tail?

Redwirez support has been great and I am sending them my files to look at as well. I'll report back with any findings.

Thanks again to everyone trying to help out here! Very much appreciated! I'm happy to try out any and all suggestions!

Cheers,
-Matt

Also, inquiring about the Fractal converter... Is this PC only? I had downloaded it at one point and it didn't have instructions. The directories looked Window's specific. Will this work on my Mac? If so, can you give some brief instructions on how to use?

Thanks!
-Matt

I wasn't aware about the converter normalizing the files. Thanks for the heads up there. I guess that is good for some folks, but not really for me. Do you know if is using a peak or rms method? I assume peak, since you made mention of noting the waveform peaks.

Yeah, not only NORMALIZING but also TRIMS the silence at the beginning.
This opens up the possibility of having slight differences in the trimming thus introducing phase shifts.
I would recommend NOT to trim the beginning.... or the end, let the converter do it.

I don't know what method the converters use for Normalizing.... but Alberts converter
always yields an IR that's 6dB Louder.... so obviously there are some differences.

:!

Also, inquiring about the Fractal converter... Is this PC only? I had downloaded it at one point and it didn't have instructions. The directories looked Window's specific. Will this work on my Mac? If so, can you give some brief instructions on how to use?

Thanks!
-Matt

I think it's PC only.... the trick is that the file you convert has to be in the same
folder as the converter otherwise it won't work.

But... thinking back, I'm pretty sure I used Alberts converter too and it worked!
So the converter is probably not the problem.

:p

This opens up the possibility of having slight differences in the trimming thus introducing phase shifts.
I would recommend NOT to trim the beginning.... or the end, let the converter do it.

I don't know what method the converters use for Normalizing.... but Alberts converter
always yields an IR that's 6dB Louder.... so obviously there are some differences.

:!

Ummm, you must be using a really old version where the peak was normalized. A while back I changed it to normalize to unit energy just like Cliff does.

FWIW, I don't like the homomorphic processing Cliff's utility does, it fucks too much with the IR.

This is probably NOT your problem either because you mentioned
that it sounds bad even with only 1 CAB.

I think it's the Pro Tool bounce.
I know I do not trust my DAW for this.
I loop the pulse and record it live with TAPE IT VST (windows only)
Silverspike - TapeIt

I let it click 4-5 times,
I never take the first click
again because the innitial rise time of the DAW is not reliable.

Another workaround is to introduce some very low level noise before your pulse.
This way the "audio engine" is on and doesn't need to suddenly open up with the pulse.

Here is Tutorial I wrote way back:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/user-...al-redwirez-mics-into-single-ir-tutorial.html

And here is the pulse I use:
http://www.andras-shimon.com/TEMP/Trigger2.wav

:p

Last edited:
AndrewSimon: Thanks again for your continued help here! =-)

I'll give this a shot and report back if I have better results. I should probably clarify that the composite IR sounds just fine when reimported into my convolution program (TL Space), so it would seem odd if the file was borked why it would work fine there, but not in the Axe. The leading space trimming seems like a potential for issue, although the start times of either file appear to be at the same point in time in this case. Also, the single mono files are each showcasing some issue in addition to the combined effect, so there would also need to be something additional going on.

Is there a utility to convert back from the sysex to wav so that I can compare the converted files to the unconverted ones?

Cheers,
-Matt

Back
Top Bottom