Crazy, intermittent volume changes

I'm hoping this is a problem with the cable or the external footswitch (and not the MFC or--god forbid--the unit itself).

For the last few months, I've noticed occasional swells or dips in volume while I'm playing. It was so intermittent that I let it slide, but over the last couple of gigs, it's gotten much worse; the soundman even asked me what was up after we finished last night.

A couple of years ago, I watched one of Kris Katsukuri's YouTube tutorials on setting up a global volume boost by reducing the midi output volume to the Axe and using a switch to remove the reduction (so that most of the time, my output volume is a little lower, and when I kick in the switch, it's back to normal level, creating a "boost").

I set this up with a custom-made switch I used to use as an amp channel switcher and a trs cable, as external switch 1.

I was never really happy with it, because--either due to the type of cable or due to the switch box--anytime I'd switch to a new preset, the boost would be on. I changed to a different switch box, but then I found that I had to switch it twice to turn the boost on.

Anyway, there isn't enough room on the Pedaltrain2 board i have my MFC mounted on to keep the switch on there, so it's always next to the MFC, and I suspect I've been stepping on the cable, creating some sort of intermittent connection problem. I'm going to try a new cable tonight and see whether it goes away.

Has anybody else ever dealt with anything like this?

Someone just posted a thread about a month or two ago about volume dips when playing as u sort of described.

Back
Top Bottom