Crackling/Static noise when guitar turned up

I have a BlueTooth mouse that is as quiet as a.... Church Mouse... hahaha.
If your PC/Laptop has BT you could try that.. however, there are some known issues with Bluetooth drivers & ASIO Latency with laptops, or at least there was about a year ago IIRC.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

So, I've done a lot of troubleshooting.

It's not specific to one guitar - not single coils - my ESP has EMG pickups so I changed to a new battery.

I've tried both using the Axe as SPDIF and as an interface - issue was still there.

I've managed to make it pretty much completely gone now - can't hear my mouse on scroll anymore - I did disconnect the mouse and it didn't help. I'm using a wireless keyboard but I honestly think that the issue is routed to the motherboard or GPU.

I've gone into my BIOS and disabled EIST - this has helped. I've increased the noise gate threshold on the preset and that really has helped too.

I've still got the issue - I have to get my guitar really close to the case to hear interference. I haven't solved the problem but it's more usable now. Pickups will pick up EMI so it's natural for this to happen - I was just hearing it way more than I should.

Without spending more time and money, I don't think I'll get this 100% solved.

I did use to record with Guitar Rig 5 and never noticed this issue. Maybe it was because the presets weren't as 'noisy' and didn't make it as noticeable. Preset 55 'Dweezil's Bassguy' on the Axe III was where I first noticed the issue - it's a very 'noisy' preset with the noise gate at the default setting. I turn that up to -60 and it's much better to me.

I have a lot more to learn - I've quickly come to realise that the factory presets are there to show what the Axe can do to an extent ... but the true power comes with creating your own presets that sound good with your own equipment. None of the factory presets are useful to me but I don't expect them to be.

TIme for me to venture into some third party IRs and create my own presets ... and eventually get a mac :D

Thanks again.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

So, I've done a lot of troubleshooting.

It's not specific to one guitar - not single coils - my ESP has EMG pickups so I changed to a new battery.

I've tried both using the Axe as SPDIF and as an interface - issue was still there.

it's definitely an interference problem that originates from the pickups. Nothing to do with the Axe-Fx. Your troubleshooting confirmed it.

I've managed to make it pretty much completely gone now - can't hear my mouse on scroll anymore - I did disconnect the mouse and it didn't help. I'm using a wireless keyboard but I honestly think that the issue is routed to the motherboard or GPU.

I've gone into my BIOS and disabled EIST - this has helped. I've increased the noise gate threshold on the preset and that really has helped too.

I've still got the issue - I have to get my guitar really close to the case to hear interference. I haven't solved the problem but it's more usable now. Pickups will pick up EMI so it's natural for this to happen - I was just hearing it way more than I should.

Without spending more time and money, I don't think I'll get this 100% solved.

You should try to move the case as far from the pickups as possible. I understand this is not always possible, but it would really help.

it's definitely an interference problem that originates from the pickups. Nothing to do with the Axe-Fx. Your troubleshooting confirmed it.

You should try to move the case as far from the pickups as possible. I understand this is not always possible, but it would really help.

100% - it's not an Axe issue at all. I was mainly testing the SPDIF connection and the Axe an interface to rule out any issues with my Saffire Pro 14. Having my PC as far away as possible is the best way right now.

You may know this already.

Many have success shielding their guitar electrics cavity with copper foil ... some with paint. You’re the ground btw.

You may know this already.

Many have success shielding their guitar electrics cavity with copper foil ... some with paint. You’re the ground btw.

I've heard of this - copper foil on the guitar electrics cavity. Not sure on the best way to do this but I'm going to have a look into it. Thanks Fractals.

Back
Top Bottom