Crackling noise when take out hands of the strings

mostly in single coils.
This kinda confirms that this is 60cycle hum aka ground noise. Somewhere in your signal chain, the ground is not connected properly. I’d start with the wall wart and work my way to the guitar. Wall warts not being grounded is potentially more dangerous than guitars not being grounded so definitely try and check with a outlet tester (which it seems is on its way to you?) and meanwhile see if rooms in the other end of your house produce the same kind of noise or not.

Guitars not being grounded are a cheap and easy fix. There are plenty of videos on YouTube that show you how to fix this. Although if this happens with all guitars (single coil and humbucker) then probability dictates it is most likely a fault with something else.

Btw, are all the electronic components in your rig being powered from the same outlet? If not, then that is your problem.

This kinda confirms that this is 60cycle hum aka ground noise. Somewhere in your signal chain, the ground is not connected properly. I’d start with the wall wart and work my way to the guitar. Wall warts not being grounded is potentially more dangerous than guitars not being grounded so definitely try and check with a outlet tester (which it seems is on its way to you?) and meanwhile see if rooms in the other end of your house produce the same kind of noise or not.

Guitars not being grounded are a cheap and easy fix. There are plenty of videos on YouTube that show you how to fix this. Although if this happens with all guitars (single coil and humbucker) then probability dictates it is most likely a fault with something else.

Btw, are all the electronic components in your rig being powered from the same outlet? If not, then that is your problem.
Yes they are, i will separate outlets. Thank you.

Yes they are, i will separate outlets. Thank you.
If I was unclear, I should restate: you need to have your signal chain (Axe Fx, computer, monitors, etc.) being powered by the same outlet in the wall. You can use a power strip or power conditioner to power each component, but ultimately it all needs to go to the same wall wart. If you have anything in the signal chain being powered off of some other outlet, that will creat a ground loop which is what is creating the noise that you are experiencing.

for clarity:

1) the term “wall wart” is typically used to identify an external power supply, usually a small-ish device used with a specific piece of equipment. When plugged into a wall “outlet”, an external power supply looks sort of like a growth on the outlet plate — hence the descriptor “wart”.

2) using multiple electrical (wall) outlets to power equipment in an audio/video system CAN cause grounding issues, depending on how the wiring leading to and/or connecting the outlets (usually inside the walls) is routed/connected — but not always.

3) using a single electrical (wall) outlet to power the devices in a system CAN often minimize the occurrence of ground-related noise issues — but not always.

4) regardless of the outlet scheme(s) used, the cables used to connect the system components to one another AND/OR the manner in which those cables are connected AND/OR the manner in which the equipment is mounted CAN minimize the occurrence of grounding issues — but not always.

5) the LACK of a ground connection (“good” or otherwise) can often cause both the equipment AND cables in an audio/video to act as a “noise” antenna — ESPECIALLY an electric guitar.

6) even in a properly-grounded system, an electric guitar — especially one using single-coil pickups — makes an excellent antenna susceptible to interference/noise generated by many other devices, especially computers/etc. in the same room — but not only in the same room.

You can read about one of my exploits with “guitar noise” here (if you have some time to kill — it ain’t a short story):

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/tube-inst-preamp-in-front-of-xl.130991/post-1552948

The clicking sounds like HD drives moving their reading heads. But too many clicks for a single computer, more like a server farm.

With no hands on the strings it's all normal that you get any kinds of noises. Your guitar with a cable works like an antenna and with lots of gain you can receive radio and fm transmissions of all kinds. There's nothing wrong with that. It's all normal and real amps also do that. Your advantage in the digital world is that you have a good noise gate at hand. So use that.

Reactions: RLD
Suggestion -
I followed a recent G66 vid, placed a gate block BETWEEN the amp and cab blocks, and side-chained it to input 1. Works like a charm! Now all of my presets have this feature. 😬

Thank you Strabes.
With volume roll down, noise stops
touching the strings at vol 10 it reduces almost completely.
mostly in single coils

Sorry for the late reply, I missed the notification when you replied last week. Surprised no one has said this yet: this is the intended behavior for the string ground in a guitar. Your body functions like a giant antenna for EMI/RFI. When you touch the strings all that noise is sent to ground. The fact that 1) it's happening with multiple guitars, 2) with single coils, 3) goes away with the guitar's volume knob off, and 4) goes away when you touch the strings, all show that it's not a wiring issue, but rather EMI/RFI coming in through your pickups and your body. If it were a power issue in your house it wouldn't go away when you roll down the volume or touch the strings. I will admit that I've never heard clicking like that though, except if I hold my phone literally inches from the pickups. Does it go away if you shut down your computer and other electronic devices in the room? In the mean time I would just use a mild setting on the input gate to silence it when you're not playing or touching the strings.

placed a gate block BETWEEN the amp and cab blocks, and side-chained it to input 1
Just FYI, the drive and amp blocks don't add any noise of their own, they only amplify noise coming in through the input. You can test this by disconnecting the shunt before any drives or amps so they're not seeing any input. Turn up their level and drive as much as you want, the output will be dead quiet.
Screenshot 2023-01-24 061131.png
Given this, my preference is to just cut the noise from the guitar before it gets amplified by gain staging, i.e. at the input block, where there's a lot less noise to deal with because it hasn't been amplified by your gain staging.

Last edited:
Reactions: RLD
In my house, I was getting intermittent noise. It turned out that it was happening when my wife ran the dishwasher. The motor noise was getting all over the house wiring.

My Strats were especially bad for both that and computer noise. Over time, I've converted them all to noiseless pickups.

If you're getting clicks, my guess is one of these two things:
1) Your phone is still in your pocket
2) You have a plexiglass cover on your PC

Last edited:
It’s this one -
And he gets right to it. There are some great suggestions on this thread so far - try them all and pick the one that works best for you.
Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom