CPU usage

dschaaf

Experienced
Hi, I am just wondering if it is normal to be at almost 30% usage with no amps, cabs or any effects whatsoever? I just have an "In1" to "Out 2" and "In2" to "Out1" with shunts (to allow insertion of an outboard effect. If this is the case and typical usage should not surpass 75%-80%, I really have 45-50% for all other blocks?

Thanks,
Derek

Attachments

• 2022-09-21_01-30-25.png
    2022-09-21_01-30-25.png
    417.3 KB · Views: 30
Hi, I am just wondering if it is normal to be at almost 30% usage with no amps, cabs or any effects whatsoever? I just have an "In1" to "Out 2" and "In2" to "Out1" with shunts (to allow insertion of an outboard effect. If this is the case and typical usage should not surpass 75%-80%, I really have 45-50% for all other blocks?

Thanks,
Derek
Shunts take up CPU. They don’t count towards estimating what CPU is left like you are because blocks that replace them would negate that usage.

You also don’t need to fill an entire row for an outboard effect setup, instead placing in and out blocks closer to each other when possible, maybe not even using a shunt at all.

It's a big confusion point .. also like, around 85%, your unit is "done" and has to mute.
It would be better if we only see the usable CPU ..

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I have had my Axe FX III since it launched (Axe FX II before that) and also have the FM9 Turbo but just never paid attention really to the CPU usage on those units as I never built presets that were super CPU intensive. I just started trying out my FM3 (and knowing that the threshold was lower) was paying more attention and just wanted to confirm this was correct...which it appears to be. I can certainly shorten the chain and remove shunts.

Thanks very much!

...Just as a test I added a comp, drive and reverb and I am at 66% (mind I could lower the reverb quality). I then did the same things and removed 12-14 shunts and shortened then chain in it only came down by 2%.

Thx
D

1663760020556.png

1663760036085.png

I think the CPU usage is getting more intensive per block as the firmware upgrades progress. Just an observation; I noticed a few factory patches from previous firmware versions go into CPU overuse with the newest firmware (I'm aware that updated presets should be loaded as well to prevent this issue).

IME the biggest trick to free up CPU in a practical way is to avoid reverbs when possible. There are extremely capable delays in the unit, and delays run on their own core with the amp models and cabs, which is why delays tend to use low CPU. It also helps to download the CPU usage list per block posted on the forum to get an idea of where you'll end up with your planned preset. If you want a complicated signal chain with intensive reverbs, it might be a good choice to just use an external reverb.

I've been skeptical on the possibility of a FM3 Turbo, but it would help the unit a LOT if another core could be added for just reverbs. That is the FM3's biggest weakness IMHO, having to sacrifice too much other stuff to use reverbs.

Definitely set your reverb quality to eco - everything else is ... not necessary ;)
And: Maybe you can ditch the drive block and use the amp input instead.
I have comp, delay, reverb, plex verb, two vol blocks, two IRs, eq filter and I'm around 70%'ish

It's a big confusion point .. also like, around 85%, your unit is "done" and has to mute.
It would be better if we only see the usable CPU ..

There has been some discussion on that. I see no reason to change it. When I first got the FM3 it was on Ares firmware. I made some presets and I had a lot of stuff in there. Then Cygnus and more updates. Now I run into the wall all the time. So one drive block, eco reverb. If I use 2 cabs they’re both standard res or just one in Ultrares. If I want stuff like the plex I’ll copy the amp block and cab and strip it down so the plex works etc. So different versions of the same preset. You’ll get a feel for it after awhile. Like room level in the cab block uses more cpu. Some of the blocks usage can vary a lot depending on modes and parameters. It’s a great little unit. I’m having more fun playing than I ever have. Just roll with it. It isn’t the Axe and it’s priced accordingly.

Comp drive and reverb tend to use the most CPU out of most blocks, with reverb using up to 30% or more on the highest qualities. Definitely reduce the quality on the reverb block to save CPU.

I have about 18 blocks in my main preset right around the 80% limit.

Factory presets have more blocks that you show here as well, so it about choices made within the settings.

Its a big confusing point especially for new users.
They don't want to know how much processing power the unit needs to spare to work properly :D
A simple CPU bar how much a user can actually use would be a good thing - from 0 to 100, not from 0 to 100 where the enduser has to try out if the unit mutes around 84, 85 or 86 ;D ... I know its around the forum for many years and I have adapted, but still, I don't understand the reason to show CPU space which nobody can actually use.

They don't want to know how much processing power the unit needs to spare to work properly :D
A simple CPU bar how much a user can actually use would be a good thing - from 0 to 100, not from 0 to 100 where the enduser has to try out if the unit mutes around 84, 85 or 86 ;D ... I know its around the forum for many years and I have adapted, but still, I don't understand the reason to show CPU space which nobody can actually use.
What if it allows 102%?

What if it allows 102%?

If you can calculate and display your current CPU usage, you have to have what 100 percent is.
If 102% CPU usage is fine, or 105%, or 150% or whatever, it still could be recalculate to a range of 0 to 100 - a range every "DAU" can understand (german for "Dümmster anzunehmender User" which basically means .. "most possible dumb user" 😂 Is there a US slang for that? BDU? Brain-dead-user? 🤣) And of course! No offensive to all new users! I also had troubles to get that in the beginning ...

Nothing to prioritize but still, I read about this misunderstanding sooooo many times ...

Doesn't the meter turn red just before you hit the danger area?

I mean....there definitely are musicians (and especially DJs) who think Red means "almost loud enough"....but there's no reason to bend everything to fit them.

If you can calculate and display your current CPU usage, you have to have what 100 percent is.
If 102% CPU usage is fine, or 105%, or 150% or whatever, it still could be recalculate to a range of 0 to 100 - a range every "DAU" can understand (german for "Dümmster anzunehmender User" which basically means .. "most possible dumb user" 😂 Is there a US slang for that? BDU? Brain-dead-user? 🤣) And of course! No offensive to all new users! I also had troubles to get that in the beginning ...

Nothing to prioritize but still, I read about this misunderstanding sooooo many times ...

I like DAU. It's funny. But from an IT/CS background, the closest common things I can think of are PEBKAC ("Problem exists between keyboard and chair") or just "User" (which is really only insulting if you're a devotee of the Bastard Operator from Hell). You could also say Luser (with that spelling), but that's almost as esoteric.

Because it is variable and by allowing you to see the limits this way they are letting you fine tune your presets while also allowing you to break all the rules with what you have available. If they set it with an arbitrary 0-100 they would have to make compromises on what we can do with the available space. On some presets it will run just fine on 80%, but on others it will mute because you have a block or a channel that when engaged will push the processor too much. I have seen presets run with up to 84% but then I switch from one reverb to another and all of a sudden it no longer works just because the new reverb peaks when you run a signal through it. If they picked an arbitrary 0-100% scale they would have to decide on a safe spot to stop you from adding blocks. 0-100 percent with the warning starting at 80% but might work up to 84% would become 0-100% with a hard stop at 70-75% because they would have to use averages in order for that number to mean anything. While it is nice to know that on a Boss gt 1000 I will never run out of CPU, Boss accomplishes that by setting limits on what you can do with the available blocks..

Reactions: Rex
Back
Top Bottom