CPU Usage Ratio: FM9 to FM3

ucnick

Inspired
My FM9 arrive yesterday, so I put my FM3 + FC6 away for now, but intend to continue using the FM3 for some gigs we play in small restaurant/bars with limited floor space, classy places but not very roomy, so the FM3 will be a little easier to fit on stage.

That being said, I want to keep the FM9 presets within the capability of the FM3 as much as possible so that when I make a new preset in my FM9 it will have a good chance of not exceeding the the FM3 limit when loaded (and even if it does, it can be reduced slightly to fit).

I know about the 2 amps vs 1 amp thing, and the other differences a swell, but assuming all else is equal what would be the approximate max CPU usage in an FM9 preset that would not drive an FM3 into oblivion? I don't tend to use complicated chains, usually a single row with compressor/wah/drive(s)/amp/cab/chorus/delay/reverb is about it, and my presets typically run from ~60% to 80% of the FM3 CPU limit.

Any estimates? I am certain that it is not 2 to 1, due to the allocation of the FM9 CPU resources, I'm just looking for some sort of guideline, rather than an exact rule.

Thanks.

There’s no way to compare, the reverb block uses 1% cpu on the fm9 as it runs on its own core. On the FM3 in can vary a lot depending on the quality and number of repeats (~20%). Other blocks like wah will be about the same.

Last edited:
You will either be drastically under utilizing the FM9 or pushing beyond the limits of the FM3. You will almost certainly have to have separate presets for both. I would build base presets in the FM3 that run smoothly and then add things like higher quality reverb and extra effects in the FM9 after you transfer the presets over. That way your core tone stays the same and you can take advantage of the extra power and switches in the FM9.

Thanks for the advice.

Yeah I thought it wasn't likely to be any sort of linear relationship, again due to different CPU usage predicated by the different architectures, but was hoping there might have been some guideline. No worries.

I guess I'll just have to test out the new ones I develop on the FM9 on the FM3 and verify how much they use and sound, and tweak accordingly, as I am primarily using the FM9 now and do not have a place to keep the FM3 available, so it's one or the other.

Thanks again!👍

I don’t recommend starting on the FM9 and trying to move down, at least not initially.

I started building my presets for the FM3 on the FM3, then moved them upwards and got used to the differences then started building on one of the others. I’m lazy and don’t want to maintain multiple versions of a preset, or create one, move it to the FM3 then wish I had brought a different unit because “oh, I wanted to use that block now!”

I used to have two different pedalboards, my big rig, and a greatly reduced board for portability, and ran into that too often, so it probably influenced my thinking when I switched to digital.

Yeah I thought it wasn't likely to be any sort of linear relationship, again due to different CPU usage predicated by the different architectures, but was hoping there might have been some guideline.
There’s not really any guidance, you need to study the compatibility chart in the blocks guide, read the comparison of the units in the wiki, and understand the differences in the architectures and where the different blocks are processed. That’s a lot to know, which is why I say it’s better to start with the little unit and work up because it’s the one that has the most constraints when building a preset. Moving to the bigger units successively removes constraints.

Would you be able to import blocks saved on the 9 into the 3 or vice versa? That way it would be easy to update your core blocks like the amp and cab or etc into presets on either platform. Being on the FM3 I am using multiple presets based on the same amp cab combos. So one might have a Plex or pitch or comp or 2 drives. Since I can’t put it all into one. So if I make edits I can overwrite the saved blocks for all presets using that block. Which brings me to another question. If I update an amp block and save, will the other presets using that block load the new or old copy of a block?

Would you be able to import blocks saved on the 9 into the 3 or vice versa? That way it would be easy to update your core blocks like the amp and cab or etc into presets on either platform. Being on the FM3 I am using multiple presets based on the same amp cab combos. So one might have a Plex or pitch or comp or 2 drives. Since I can’t put it all into one. So if I make edits I can overwrite the saved blocks for all presets using that block. Which brings me to another question. If I update an amp block and save, will the other presets using that block load the new or old copy of a block?
the presets created a copy of the library block when you pulled it in. updating a library block will not update your presets. that's what global blocks on the AxeFx are used for.

the presets created a copy of the library block when you pulled it in. updating a library block will not update your presets. that's what global blocks on the AxeFx are used for.
He's talking about importing blocks into the library and then using those blocks to load into individual blocks in individual presets ;)

Edit:

Or he wasn't... Nevermind! :)

Last edited:
He's talking about importing blocks into the library and then using those blocks to load into individual blocks in individual presets ;)

No, I was wondering if the other presets would get updated automatically. I’ve been reloading the blocks. All good. I’m learning a lot from you guys. Thanks.

it would be soo cool if the presets could somehow retain their knowledge of the library block link (e.g. it's name) so a batch updater in FM9 edit could update all presets using the same block. Not really a global block but still easier to maintain consistency.

it would be soo cool if the presets could somehow retain their knowledge of the library block link (e.g. it's name) so a batch updater in FM9 edit could update all presets using the same block. Not really a global block but still easier to maintain consistency.
Except for those times when the firmware is in transition from one version to another and doesn't know about a particular block-type or parameter… then what?

so a batch updater in FM9 edit could update all presets using the same block.
I'm trying to understand…

Do you want Edit to automatically override the settings in every preset that exists in a block that has been saved to the library? How is Edit supposed to know exactly which version of the block you applied to the preset? By keeping track of the filename of the saved block? And where is it supposed to keep that information?

The modeler is the source of truth, not the editor.

I'm trying to understand…

Do you want Edit to automatically override the settings in every preset that exists in a block that has been saved to the library? How is Edit supposed to know exactly which version of the block you applied to the preset? By keeping track of the filename of the saved block? And where is it supposed to keep that information?

The modeler is the source of truth, not the editor.

That's why I wrote it would be soo cool if the presets could somehow retain their knowledge of the library block link

There are multiple ways to peel the onion :
  1. global blocks (which are very unlikely going to happen as I view it), you edit that block on the FM9 and it immediately applies to all using presets
  2. let FM9-Edit support a block link library, e.g. of up to 256 blocks, every link points to a block definition on your PC/Mac. The link ID is stored in one byte for every block in a preset on the FM9. Let a batch job find all presets using that link ID and update those presets with the corresponding block definition from your PC/Mac. This requires an FM9 firmware and FM9-Edit change.
  3. same as 2. but do not store the link ID on the FM9 but only in a preset stored on your PC/Mac. Have a batch job update the presets using the link ID, choose which presets on the FM9 to update using the ones stored on your PC/Mac. This requires an FM9-Edit change only.
The goal is to make consistent updates of presets easier.

Back
Top Bottom