CPU Usage: Axe III vs. FM9?

bleujazz3

Fractal Fanatic
Someone had asked me how might the FM9 compare CPU usage-wise if one were using an Axe III with a decent preset running about 56% CPU.

Although I realize that CPU usage does not translate linearly from Axe III to FM9, what might the comparable CPU usage of the same Axe III preset be for the FM9?

IDK if providing a preset is necessary. Could someone chime in with a ballpark estimate of the comparative CPU numbers?

Thanks.

I had also posted this question in the Axe III Discussion section, and someone else had quoted @iaresee's comparisons.

In the Axe III discussion, we had agreed that because of the great amount of data that would need to be compiled from not only factory presets, but also user presets, the task of determining an average variance between FX3 & FM9 CPU usage would be nearly impossible.

I had asked if there were a ballpark figure, and @iaresee politely but firmly said, no. My takeaway from this is that FAS cannot provide a ballpark figure, simply because it would need to include much more than factory presets. All of the Fractal community who own or have access to both an Axe III and an FM9 would need to contribute to this database, and it would require a lot of work, which I don't think people would be willing to take time from their busy schedules to attempt doing.

So for now, I'm OK with "there is a variance of CPU usage between Axe III & FM9, but we don't how much or what parameters/blocks affect the variance more than others."

It should be possible for someone having both units to create a simple excel file with one line per effect (indicating the % CPU added by this effect) and two columns : FX3 and FM9.

It should be possible for someone having both units to create a simple excel file with one line per effect (indicating the % CPU added by this effect) and two columns : FX3 and FM9.
It takes about 1 hour per unit to make that list including all types (excluding amp and cab). Then next firmware it changes and you do it again.

Back
Top Bottom