CPU Economy Question

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're just referring to panning a SINGLE cab, right? Because doesn't using two IRs eat up more DSP than a single one, regardless of panning?
No. The cab block runs such that you don't see the DSP capacity it's using, nor does the DSP capacity it's using impact the available DSP capacity in the preset. For all intents and purposes, there's no difference to the end user between using 1 IR or 2 IRs in the cab block on the FM3.

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/...lock#Cab_processing_on_the_AX8.2C_FM3_and_FM9

I don't recall seeing any CPU hit using either one or two IRs in a cab block. Maybe the cab block is in the dedicated core with amp mods and delays?
This is correct.

Last edited:
Here's a CPU management trick: A block always uses CPU when it's present in a scene, regardless of whether it's bypassed or not. However, it only uses CPU for its current channel. Some effect types use more CPU than others, so if I've got a CPU heavy effect (like a shimmer reverb) that I only use in one scene, I'll switch the channel to a much less CPU intensive model (like spring reverb) in other scenes. Vice versa, when I have that more intense reverb selected, I'll switch channels on other blocks I'm not using to less CPU in intensive ones to balance it out. That said, I rarely run into a patch that's that packed to the brim with complex effects that I need to do that.

Here's a CPU management trick: A block always uses CPU when it's present in a scene, regardless of whether it's bypassed or not. However, it only uses CPU for its current channel. Some effect types use more CPU than others, so if I've got a CPU heavy effect (like a shimmer reverb) that I only use in one scene, I'll switch the channel to a much less CPU intensive model (like spring reverb) in other scenes. Vice versa, when I have that more intense reverb selected, I'll switch channels on other blocks I'm not using to less CPU in intensive ones to balance it out. That said, I rarely run into a patch that's that packed to the brim with complex effects that I need to do that.

I've tried that before without success. Like if scene 1 was 80 percent and scene 2, 81 percent, it would tell me for a brief second when switching that I'm over 85 percent and then mute itself before settling into the normal 81 percent on scene 2. Even though it was under the limit, I'd have to switch presets for it to unmute.

Maybe it has to do with the types of effects used, since some may be sharing the same processor.

I've tried that before without success. Like if scene 1 was 80 percent and scene 2, 81 percent, it would tell me for a brief second when switching that I'm over 85 percent and then mute itself before settling into the normal 81 percent on scene 2. Even though it was under the limit, I'd have to switch presets for it to unmute.

Maybe it has to do with the types of effects used, since some may be sharing the same processor.
It truly works, but 85% is too much, with 82% about the max my FM3 will tolerate.

I have one Scene that runs smart harmony via the Pitch Block/Dual Diatonic that hits at 82%, though the rest of the Scenes park the Pitch Block on Whammy or Arpeggiator and they hit at 77% or so.

Also, even though the Cab Block runs on the FPU or something other than the main CPU, and makes little difference between 1 or 2 IR's, using Ultra-Rez still hit's the CPU quite a bit harder than Standard IR's.

Last edited:
It truly works, but 85% is too much, with 82% about the max my FM3 will tolerate.

I have one Scene that runs smart harmony via the Pitch Block/Dual Diatonic that hits at 82%, though the rest of the Scenes park the Pitch Block on Whammy or Arpeggiator and they hit at 77% or so.

Also, even though the Cab Block runs on the FPU or something other than the main CPU, and makes little difference between i or 2 IR's, using Ultra-Rez still hit's the CPU quite a bit harder than Standard IR's.

I know 85 is too much. I'm saying in the process of switching from scene 1 to scene 2, the CPU jumps too high. If I just start the preset on those scenes they're fine, but if I try to switch from scene 1 to 2 it mutes itself. So YMMV with that one.

I know 85 is too much. I'm saying in the process of switching from scene 1 to scene 2, the CPU jumps too high. If I just start the preset on those scenes they're fine, but if I try to switch from scene 1 to 2 it mutes itself. So YMMV with that one.
Yeah, when CPU gets too high all sorts of random things slow down or become unstable, before it mutes.

My show is automated, though Scene changes, the timing of cross-fades and blocks bypassing and un-bypassing from external MIDI, plus the Editor all get unpredictable on the bleeding edge, and with my kitchen sink preset that is > 82%.

I wish there was a P&P "Turbo" clock option for the FM3 as I could use a bit more juice, but alas, it is what it is and I love the form factor vs the other options.

Last edited:
I wish there was a P&P "Turbo" clock option for the FM3 as I could use a bit more juice, but alas, it is what it is and I love the form factor vs the other options.

yeah I agree with that. It would be a nice 'try at your own risk, voids all warranties' option.

However, I'm sure if I drove a Tesla (if I had one) at ludicrous speed at all times, eventually it would crash... so maybe dialing back is a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom