Coverage Pattern of speakers, which is most desirable

Lionfeather

Inspired
I've been looking at some of the qsc powered speakers, I'm seeing a coverage range between 75 degrees to 105.

I would likely more often than not use one as a floor wedge, and I am fairly tall at 6'6", so wider seems better, yet controlling the stage volume is also important, no one else wants to hear me the way I want to hear me.

What are your thoughts regarding the ramifications of the different dispersion angles?

Last edited:
Most likely the dispersion angle won't help that much... The angle of the cabinet enclosure is probably more important.

My Xitone wedges are 90 degrees and I'm 5'11" tall - I still prefer to put the front edge on my pedalboard to get a bit more upward angle.

The dispersion angle we need more beneficial as you move side to side.

Directivity is tricky, as it's frequency dependent. Specs like "75 degrees" is kind of meaningless, and only serves as a general guideline.

In most small monitors, frequencies below ~1 kHz will have a very wide directivity, regardless of what "75 degree" type of spec it might have been given. At ~3 kHz there could be irregularities in directivity at the woofer-tweeter crossover frequency that further deviate from its rated one-number spec "75 degrees." Additionally, if the tweeter horn/waveguide is insufficiently designed, directivity might vary and/or narrow at high frequencies.

For example, coaxial loudspeakers that use the woofer as the tweeter's horn might be rated "90 degrees," but its actual directivity will vary a lot in its high frequency range, and narrow to a beam above ~10 kHz.

All that said, I agree with @unix-guy that the floor angle of the monitor is probably way more important for your freakish 6'6" height. Whatever you get, just make sure it's pointing up at you, put something under it to prop it up if you have to.

Not to beat a dead horse here, but unix-guy and yeky83 are spot on. I use a QSC KW122 and set it up as a wedge, but behind me. I'm only 6' tall, and I have the QSC about 3'-5' away, which works pretty spot on in my situation. The angle that the speaker sits is key. I find that using it as a wedge in front of me puts it too close and the sound is just shooting at my torso, hence the 3'-5' distance.

Is there not a PA stage monitor usually in front of most stage setups? I usually run my guitar only monitor in backline position so I can back up into the sweet spot for leads, and come forward to hear the rest of the band as needed.

I too will most often be using in ears. Using a speaker in those instances will be to help with the controlled feedback thing. Using it as a wedge in front pointing back is more about not adding to the sound out front. Of course real life experience will teach me quickly what works and what doesn't. Maybe I'll put it on a stand and keep the volume low and walk in close when I need to.

Clearly if I'm playing a gig without in ears I'll place the speaker in the backline. Lol I don't know yet. Just acquiring information to help with my purchase decision. Thanks so much for the input! I only overthink things for a little bit.

Back
Top Bottom