couldn't most Djent be played on just a 3 string guitar?

MesaGuitarGuy

Power User
I guess most of the djent I've heard only uses the lowest 3 strings of a 7 string guitar.
And they're all playing riffs with a LOT of low B. And mostly the same tempo. With screaming vocals that I can't understand at all.
But there's definitely a market for it and it connects with a lot of people.

I guess I just don't get it... sorry.

So who are the best djent groups out there? Maybe if I can hear what you guys like, I'd be more into it.
just sayin...
Jeff

I feel much the same, despite enjoying a lifetime of rock & metal!
unsure.gif

I suppose that anyone who is not 'totally into' a particular genre will comment that 'all the songs sound the same', but as you say, there are loads who love it and of course, the tongue-in-cheek '3 string' comment doesn't start to tell the whole story

Perhaps we're just getting old...
thinking.gif

laughing.gif

I just bought a Tyler Variax JTV-59 and one of the tunings is Baritone. Maybe I'll give it a shot, but yeah, I think I'm just getting older :)

I was just talking about this the other night on another forum. I'm getting old too.

I get it, I just don't feel like trying to tackle it. It is a different thing and the last time I owned a 7 string guitar I got vertigo looking down at the fretboard and it just sounded wrong to me. I understand why there are so many one note runs though.

I can listen to it and appreciate it, I just don't have any desire to play it.

After the Burial is considered DJERNT and Meshuggah has been around since the dang 80s they are Djent. I can see why most say only three strings however thats the copy cat bands you are probably hearing the originals although they do a lot of riding on lower strings their riffs are very difficult and the I like at least they are all using their full amount of strings. But rock, metal, country is all three strings in a sence. I mean half the crap on the radio is drop d and all on the top two strings. Most 80s rock and metal all power cords and penitonic scales and blues scales(sorry brian fart cant remeber the name). The ones that are rediculos players and dont just get 8 strings n 7 strings to look cool and fit the image of quote Djent are pretty well underground and you wont find them all over even though there signed they arent huge known.

yep yep (not a band, just felt like it), animals as leaders, born of osiris, periphery, veil of maya, vildhjerta, aeolia, after the burial, tesseract.

Posting some of my favourite videos from them:

I am somewhat familiar with, at least, Djent's beginnings. Like any style of music, there are your innovators or cream of the crop. Meshuggah and Animals as Leaders are prime examples of tops in that category. The same thing happened to Djent that has happened to about every genre: stylistic inbreeding. End up with TONS of these bands that are turned on by a single aspect of the truly good group's styles and they make every song a beginning to end run of that single aspect or narrow set of aspects. Then other folks listen to those bands and then narrow it down even further to where not only does it get difficult to distinguish one band from another... you just don't simply care to. I saw this happen to thrash, death metal, hardcore and so on. Now, some styles are tolerable even when they get heavily inbred... metal doesn't tend to be one of those for me despite my long history with it.

Now... I am getting older... and my point of view is... just write a good song. I don't care if it sunds like Cynic or Hank Williams Sr. Just write a good tune that, top to bottom, means something to you. I don't mean deep lyrics necessarily. Just something that moves you.

....and Weird Al has the best cover band ever. Just saying.

I see Djent as having a fairly short shelf life.
I do like some of the output though but it is the same with any genre; the originators come in and do something new, a bunch of people copy them and then the 'rules are set'.
It goes through a lull in popularity and then gets reinvented 10 years down the line.
Hopefully by the time Nu-Djent or Post-Djent come along I'll be too old and enfeebled to care. :)

The only thing that bugs me about the genre is the random insertion of complex chords with no harmonic destination.
There is no function to them other than to provide a drop in dynamics before the brootalz returns.
Yawn.

Based on those YouTube links, here is what I'm hearing:

animals as leaders sound like a Berklee ensemble

born of osiris sound like Pantera

periphery sound like Linkin Park with guitar solos

I just don't dig it when people wear their guitars as if they were a necklace. It just looks wrong...

And then there's the frog man dance they do when they play... Again, wrong....

Last edited:
As far as I'm concerned Djent is composed of two elements: Meshuggah, and those who copy Meshuggah. I don't even like the word Djent. These little kids with their emo haircuts playing ZOMG-SO-HEAVY riffs on their 8-strings.... it's pretty laughable.

I am actually comfortable with the liking of this frog man dance.

I wear my guitar like a necklace because I find it ergonomic (yeah try explaining ergonomic to the masculine beerthrowing caveman with his leatherstrap and boots to go with).

Offended? Don't be. I respect that man like everyone else, I just see of us all as people with different meanings / ways of looking at music and style.

I'm attending musicology at the moment and I find the authentic truth from a rockers point of view to be very interesting.

"Based on those YouTube links, here is what I'm hearing:

animals as leaders sound like a Berklee ensemble

born of osiris sound like Pantera

periphery sound like Linkin Park with guitar solos"

@luke: I feel blessed for not having your ears then to put it smooth, I hear beautiful music.

Finally, the wind of a sensual kiss of harmony and resolution to all of you <3

*flies away like a cartooncharacter in the smell of a warm pie on the windowsill.

Back
Top Bottom