Could use some pointers/ tips on building a fresh FM3 preset for live application. For Reference listen on youtube "Fractus Promissum" by Cirith Ungol

Jim Barraza

I used the FM3 for the first time this past weekend at Mass Destruction fest in Atlanta. There were a few hiccups switching scenes/and I'm looking to correct some things as we get ready to tour Europe in January 2022. The plan is to start from scratch and build a block set that mimics the tones on our albums "Forever Black, Half Past Human" and/ or "Witch's game". On all of these albums. In the studio, we used mainly a 1968 Marshall JMP Plexi Super Bass 100w Head. On FM3 I am digging the 50- watt jumped Plexi, just not sure if i should use the one designated hi, or move to the 100-watt Plexi.
I just needed this one place (On This thread) to ask questions and get answers based on your personal experience or knowledge in achieving my goal.. it will help make my life less stressful. Thanks

Just as a tip, the “Wish” tag for a thread in this sub-forum is to flag it as a request for Fractal to enhance the editor, not for saying you wish someone would help you.

Just as a tip, the “Wish” tag for a thread in this sub-forum is to flag it as a request for Fractal to enhance the editor, not for saying you wish someone would help you.
Thank you, Greg. I removed it.
Btw, I have fractal bot/ laptop/ or PC connected, FM3-edit, Drivers, Firmware up to date, all manuals downloaded on my phone and laptop. I read them and retain as much as I can. I realize you have to build these presets from scratch with a clear intention of direction for the sound you must have.
Also, I kind of assume I'm on my own to figure out all the bells and whistles, do's and don'ts on this fm3 by searching and spending countless hours figuring out if I'm using this device correctly for use with the various backline amp heads and cabinets I will encounter. I'm going to look into getting a neutral power amp to take amp heads out of the equation. I almost want to go back to using real amps/ pedals. The frustration and time FM3 causes me takes away from my playing time way too much. But, the good news is I have a couple of people local here that I can wrangle up and sort out the levels and parameters and all the yaddy yada. Trying to make it just plug and play as I move around the world with some calm consistency. I'll get it figured out eventually.

Last edited:
The very best place to start is to plug in your guitar and step through the factory presets. Turn up the volume to 90db, loud enough to be a good simulation of a live band setting. That’s important to get some acoustic coupling with the guitar and to avoid the Fletcher-Munsen effect from affecting what you hear. Fractal put significant effort into tuning the presets for the Cygnus firmware to highlight the unit, and there are some great sounds and examples of how to do things. Copy the presets you like to a separate bank, then continue listening. When you finally get through them, take the first one you liked and tweak it to your taste. Again, remember to adjust the EQ of a preset at band volume or you risk getting too much bass and/or treble. If you plug the unit into a set of good neutral powered monitors or FOH speakers you can quickly get very workable sound from the factory presets then build your own presets from scratch at your leisure.

The Snapshot tool (the little camera icon) toward the top-right of the editor is handy when editing because you can revert changes. Before you start making changes click the camera to save the starting point, then click it when you are at a spot you want to remember. Finally click Save when you are happy with it. At that point you might want to tell the editor to save the preset’s blocks to the library to begin assembling building blocks for your own presets; that’s found under the Preset menu.

When you have made it through the presets you copied you should have a good collection of various blocks. Read the manual to get the concept of presets, scenes and channels, then start building your own presets. At that point you will have questions so ask a specific question about something in the sub-forum, attach your preset, and we’ll try to help.

As a starting point, read https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Presets#Guidelines_for_creating_presets and https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/...odels_list#FRIEDMAN_BE_2010_.28Friedman_BE.29 for rock sounds and https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/...ace.2Fblackface_Fender_Bandmaster.2C_AB763.29 for cleans and be sure to follow the links to Yek’s write-ups about the amps.

Remember to backup the system and presets often. The files can be compressed and archived into a single file that is smaller than a single bank’s file so they won’t take much room.

The manual is worth reading several times, along with the blocks manual. The wiki is full of great information so read through pages to get tips collected from the forum.

Leon Todd and Cooper Carter have great demo videos on YouTube that are worth watching.

The stand-alone Fractal-Bot has been integrated into the editor, so you probably won’t need the standalone version. Don’t try to run it at the same time as the editor: they’re mutually exclusive and can’t run at the same time.

Don’t write off the sound of the built-in amps and cabs immediately, they’re very powerful and flexible. Some people want a standard cab but you lose some of the flexibility the unit offers.

Last edited:
Thank you Greg \m/ I appreciate your response. That's some valuable time-saving information right there. And I will keep reading the manuals over and over every chance I get. I've shared this link with my guitar tech/ studio engineer. We'll get everything dialed. If there is something that stumps us, I will ask.

Back
Top Bottom