Could use a little help this morning (USB issue) (RESOLVED)

Brian Coonan

Power User
Hey everyone, Happy Easter if you're celebrating that.

This morning it appears I can no longer use the AX8 when USB is plugged in - if I start it up with USB plugged in, I will get just a blip of sound before there is no output. Unplugging the USB will not restore the output, I have to power cycle the AX8 without USB plugged in to get the outputs to send a signal again.

If I have sound, and then plug in USB, the sound cuts out and once again I'll need to unplug it and power cycle the AX8 to get sound to go through the outputs.

What I've done:
tried multiple USB cables, long and short ones
tried multiple USB ports on my iMac (keyboard, all on back - with no other USB devices plugged in)
tried a powered USB hub with nothing else plugged in besides that to my computer

None of my troubleshooting attempts have yielded any success.

I am using the newest version of AX8-Edit however this started the other day prior to updating that. Still using FW 7.01 and the AX8 hasn't been roughed up at all.

Any other suggestions you guys might offer? Thanks a bunch - hope everyone is having a great day.

Here is a vid of what happens with USB plugged in when I turn on the AX8:

You might check after you start everything up will AX8-Edit work? is there communication between your Mac and AX8? I wonder if the USB is some how sending control change to the AX8 and turning it off so if AX8-Edit is working you might try changing some patches to see if that gets your audio path working, also on page 81 of the Owners manual there is some I/O USB setting that you could look at too.. Finally if USB communication is working and the problem started with the version your using why not either reverse flash your device to older version or take it to latest version, also be sure your cable is USB 2.0 and if USB is not working then most likely your going to need hardware support, Good luck...

Have you tried a different preset (at startup), maybe something corrupt.
Have tried a different computer Mac PC whatever, just to see if it reacts the exact same way.

John

You might check after you start everything up will AX8-Edit work? is there communication between your Mac and AX8? I wonder if the USB is some how sending control change to the AX8 and turning it off so if AX8-Edit is working you might try changing some patches to see if that gets your audio path working, also on page 81 of the Owners manual there is some I/O USB setting that you could look at too.. Finally if USB communication is working and the problem started with the version your using why not either reverse flash your device to older version or take it to latest version, also be sure your cable is USB 2.0 and if USB is not working then most likely your going to need hardware support, Good luck...

Thanks Dave. There is a connection between the computer and AX8 - I can edit with AX8-Edit and do everything as normal, just not any output going through the ports. Input is still fine (watching the INSTR In meter). I did check the manual but don't see anything related to USB other than a couple things that don't apply to this specific issue). The issue was occurring with this firmware, and both the previous version of AX8-Edit and the newest version, and the unit is new so nothing really to revert to that I believe would help anyway.

It does seem like something is happening in the AX8 though to kill the signal to the output jacks when USB is plugged in since there IS a signal for just a second. Very odd.

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it!

Have you tried a different preset (at startup), maybe something corrupt.
Have tried a different computer Mac PC whatever, just to see if it reacts the exact same way.

John

Hi John - thanks for the reply. I have tried a different preset at startup with no change - I did a refresh as well on several presets to see if that would happen. I don't really have the capability to try connecting to another computer unfortunately...that would be a good idea. I think I'll reach out to support to see what they say. I'm going to back up the unit and maybe flash it if that's an option - like reset to factory type deal.

Thanks Dave. There is a connection between the computer and AX8 - I can edit with AX8-Edit and do everything as normal, just not any output going through the ports. Input is still fine (watching the INSTR In meter). I did check the manual but don't see anything related to USB other than a couple things that don't apply to this specific issue). The issue was occurring with this firmware, and both the previous version of AX8-Edit and the newest version, and the unit is new so nothing really to revert to that I believe would help anyway.

It does seem like something is happening in the AX8 though to kill the signal to the output jacks when USB is plugged in since there IS a signal for just a second. Very odd.

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it!
Your welcome Brian, I hate when stuff docent work especially my music tech let alone a new AX8, my last chime would be restore IOS back to previous version and try a factory reset at that point its probably time to send it back to FAS for some really help...

It may be a MIDI or audio assignment conflict rather than USB issue: Check the Audio/Midi in OSX. Maybe an ID/Port issue or routing: there is an AX8 MIDI driver in there: test: refresh, etc. Fractal Bot will also show available ports.

Last edited:
It may be a MIDI or audio assignment conflict rather than USB issue: Check the Audio/Midi in OSX. Maybe an ID/Port issue or routing: there is an AX8 MIDI driver in there: test: refresh, etc. Fractal Bot will also show available ports.
Also a good suggestion - I'll look at that when I get home tonight. I feel like it wouldn't be something in the AX8 just because 1) it's brand new and 2) everything was working fine for about 2 weeks - possible I suppose but to me seems unlikely

When the new version of AX8-Edit came out, I didn't download it right away but the version I was using (previous version was the one right before the latest) would have a pop-up when it opened saying "this isn't the latest version" and you could either cancel or hit "open" but, the directory where it was trying to open a file (I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be looking for) didn't have a .dmg file or anything that I would click on TO open so I hit cancel. One time though, I did hit open and it went through the install process - however - anytime I would open AX8-Edit after that, it would still come up with that pop-up saying I wasn't using the latest version. Which makes me think that maybe something got corrupt between the 2 versions of AX8-Edit. The other day I put all AX8-Edit applications I could find in the trash and re-downloaded the newest version. I may have to do a more thorough search and try that again, empty the trash reboot, and THEN reinstall again.

Going to try that tonight as well as look for any audio/MIDI settings that might be conflicting.

Thanks @artzeal for your suggestion as well.

not sure if this is helpful to you, but i have had the issue several times and i found that a couple of things can cause the issue. i'm using a pc by the way.

1) leaving the ax8 on for long periods of in conjunction with using google chrome browser. close browser and reboot ax8.

2) leaving other audio devices on. leaving my eleven rack on will cause the issue every time. it takes a day or so, but it happens. i think it has something to do with windows using the device as a soundcard. turn off eleven rack and reboot ax8.

i might add that none of the issues i'm having are ax8 problems, but windows issues.

Try running AX8 direct into an amp or headphones to see if it the AX8 is outputting sound. Just because you don't get output from the interface doesn't mean there is no output from the AX8. Simplify the signal chain as much as possible is usually the best way to troubleshoot, then start layering on to find the problem.

Sidenote - you play a mean Em11. ;)

not sure if this is helpful to you, but i have had the issue several times and i found that a couple of things can cause the issue. i'm using a pc by the way.

1) leaving the ax8 on for long periods of in conjunction with using google chrome browser. close browser and reboot ax8.

2) leaving other audio devices on. leaving my eleven rack on will cause the issue every time. it takes a day or so, but it happens. i think it has something to do with windows using the device as a soundcard. turn off eleven rack and reboot ax8.

i might add that none of the issues i'm having are ax8 problems, but windows issues.

interesting, thanks. It was on for a good amount of time but no Chrome (I had heard that could be an issue). I did have some Avid things in my audio set up from when I had ProTools and various MBoxes which I deleted as well. Right now, I still think it's a communication issue and not an AX8 issue.

Try running AX8 direct into an amp or headphones to see if it the AX8 is outputting sound. Just because you don't get output from the interface doesn't mean there is no output from the AX8. Simplify the signal chain as much as possible is usually the best way to troubleshoot, then start layering on to find the problem.

Sidenote - you play a mean Em11. ;)

HA - I actually laughed out loud at that last line. The reason I say there is no output is because I'm not getting an input signal on the interface whereas if I plug my guitar directly into it, I do get that signal.

Thank you for your help guys - it turns out that for some reason in the MIDI controller section of Logic, the AX8 had taken over the settings for my Axiom Air keyboard MIDI controller and was indeed sending some program changes - I deleted all of them and rebooted and I'm back in business.

Your help was very much appreciated! :)

Thank you for your help guys - it turns out that for some reason in the MIDI controller section of Logic, the AX8 had taken over the settings for my Axiom Air keyboard MIDI controller and was indeed sending some program changes - I deleted all of them and rebooted and I'm back in business.

Glad to hear you got it solved. It's rock o'clock now!

Hi Brian any chance you could explain how you did that in logic? I'm running into the same issue

Back
Top Bottom