could this work? (axe fx ll through a stereo?)

In my small home studio I run the Axe to a stereo receiver and then out to passive monitors... I also run cables out from my PC soundcard to the stereo receiver...
It works fine! I guess the optimal solution would be to buy a amplifier made for studio use, but at least this Sony receiver have a setting to bypass all eq and hifi enhancing features.

I can hear a small difference in tone compared to my Sennheiser headphones, but I'm ok with it...

the cables as described above, and then you would have to bring it down 12dB aprox
Standard operating level for the axe is ensure by turning the digital level/encoder all the way to the right, so you would have to bring it down.
+20dBu is WAY to hot for semi pro gear.

The difference in S.o.L. from +4dBu to -10dBv is about 11.7dB's if I'm not mistaken. That should be what you could expect at a starting point.

I see the axe has 600ohm o/p so that should be pretty standard for bridge impedance.

I have played mine through the stereo many time. Because the switching in my receiver/amp is digital, there is some latency, though. It is mildly irritating, but tolerable if I just wan to play in the living room without setting up the other stuff. I normally have it going through my studio setup. The latency on that is negligible.

I do it all the time. I tend to mix on the high end system, but I evaluate everything I mix on any stereo I can get my hands on. I have been known to dial a guitar tone or two on a lower quality system to insure it comes through as an essential element.

the cables as described above, and then you would have to bring it down 12dB aprox
Standard operating level for the axe is ensure by turning the digital level/encoder all the way to the right, so you would have to bring it down.

Level knob can be used to control level. Knobs at maximum is only a suggestion for unity gain with 4CM.

Everyone listen and listen closely:

UNITY GAIN IS ONLY FOR WHEN RUNNING FOUR-CABLE METHOD. OTHERWISE, USE THE LEVEL CONTROLS TO CONTROL THE LEVELS. YOU SHOULD NEVER TURN THE LEVEL KNOBS ALL THE WAY UP UNDER NORMAL USE.

+1 on the above. Through a decent stereo it actually sounds pretty good with cab sims on.

I run mine into a recently recapped Sansui AU-515 with tone controls bypassed,
and monitor through passive Studio Monitors; works great.
Living Room FRFR...

Back
Top Bottom