Could this be an okay SS power amp?

I'm not familiar with the amp you linked, but I can say that the Carvin DCM200L does a great job for me.
Although it's not a W monster, it holds up very good against a loud drummer when running stereo into a 4x12.

The amp is Class-D and from what I have heard is both dynamic and quite linear even when pushed. I would give it a try, especially the low price considered.

I'm with Roadrunner - I'm not familiar with that amp, but am quite satisfied with a Carvin DCM200, which has slightly less power.

Most solid state amps are fairly linear and transparent, which is what you want so they don't add anything to the signal the Axe Fx is producing. Some are better than others, of course, but generally speaking as long as you have a couple/few hundred watts, you should be in good shape.

The Carvin is Class A - this is Class D. It wont have the same dynamics, and at that price wont be a fantastic Class D design. Might be OK for the money, but its definately the budget end of the spectrum. The Wattage isnt great either. You'll probably have enough headroom into a 4 Ohm cab - but anything else will more than likely mean running it in bridged mode where youd be OK in to 8 Ohms - and probably into 16 unless your driving a 4x12 where it just wont have the juice really.

The trend, based on actual results, has been Class A/B. The more power the better (more headroom before clipping). Better to save and do it right the first time.

Another +1 for the Carvin DCM200L.......I just recently got one to power a 4x12 which is the dry cab in the w\d\w set up I'm doing, and for what it cost,....it slays.

Back
Top Bottom