Could someone please give me some advise for the behringer fcb 1010

Denis

Inspired
Hi folks,

I bought the behringer fcb foot controller and I'm having a difficult time to program this thing.I saw a tutorial on youtube for how to assign the expression pedals and it helped me a lot but there are other things that I can't figure out.Does somebody know how could I assign the numbers 6,7,8,9,10 for stomp box switching and the numbers 1,2,3,4,5 for switching the patches.I also having a problem with the bank switching.When I start to switch banks it goes from bank 00 to 09 and in every bank I can select 10 presets only, but does anybody know how to set this thing up to go higher because I want to be able to select more than just the first 100 presets.Sorry if this is not the appropriate place for this post and also sorry for my bad english :roll

First thing you'll need is the Uno chip to be able to do what you are looking for with the stomp boxes.

Next is that I recommend using Ripwerx to edit. I recommend it very highly. Of course you will need a MIDI interface on your computer to use it and it only works with Windows. I am pretty sure that Mac has something similar, but I don't know what it is.

There is also a new player in the editor market by Gordius who makes the Little Giant stuff (really neat stuff actually).

After you get the Uno chip installed and an editor than you will be on your way.

Now you can use the AxeFXII USB MIDI port to download configurations from the FCB1010, but at present you cannot upload through it as it becomes corrupt and will hose up your footcontroller (just needs to be reprogrammed). Someone on here was saying that they thought they found a workaround, but I don't know who or where or how so you'd have to search for that. I'm not really sure that they were successful either so you may be wasting your time. A standard MIDI port on a sound card or a cheap USB to MIDI adapter will work. I usually take the output of the FCB1010 and keep that connected to the AxeFXII MIDI IN. I take the input of the FCB1010 and connect that to the output of the MIDI port on my sound card. Select the right ports inside of Ripwerx and go for it.

First off, this is in the wrong section and needs to be in the "other Midi Controllers" section.

Second, NO, Actually you don't need the UNO Chip for any of this, but you will need to educate yourself.

Here is a great Place To Start

http://host.mtnsys.com:81/faq-fcb/showfaqs.asp

Also there are many a post on the forums in the "Other Midi Controllers" section on the FCB with stock PROM.

To change scenes, turn off program changes for that preset, then turn on CNT1 and set a CC of 34 with a value of 0-7 (scenes 1-8). you can set this up various ways.

To call higher number presets on the Axe FX II you need to adjust it within the AXE FX. On the Midi Page of the I/O menu, adjust the "Midi PC Offset" as described on page 137 in the Axe FX II manual

Last edited:
Could someone please give me some advise for the behringer fcb 1010

ebay-ch.jpg

Sorry, that's my knee-jerk reaction to anything made by behringer. ;)

I just bought a Eurekasound Prom- my 9 year old son and I installed it- it does exactly what I need (EF mode for every preset and 10 favorite presets)- really a great value. I like the FCB because of the silent switches- right up my alley. I have also owned a UnO in the past and I prefer the functionality of the Eurekaprom for my needs. Stupid easy to program and easy to adjust on the fly as well- no CPU needed.

First off, this is in the wrong section and needs to be in the "other Midi Controllers" section.
Second, NO, Actually you don't need the UNO Chip for any of this, but you will need to educate yourself.

Er, I'm pretty sure you do need the UNO for 'proper' stompbox behaviour, ie if you want the footswitch LEDs to remain 'on' when an effect is active. Otherwise the LED just shows the last footswitch pressed which is kind of pointless for stomps.

I have an FCB with UNO and think it's great. I had to go through two other FCBs though before I got one that worked, first one was completely screwed, second one had a defective MIDI in circuit. Behringer's QA is apparently not great. I use the editor from the people that make the UNO and it's very good (cheap, not free). Also works with non-UNO FCBs.

Er, I'm pretty sure you do need the UNO for 'proper' stompbox behaviour, ie if you want the footswitch LEDs to remain 'on' when an effect is active. Otherwise the LED just shows the last footswitch pressed which is kind of pointless for stomps.

I have an FCB with UNO and think it's great. I had to go through two other FCBs though before I got one that worked, first one was completely screwed, second one had a defective MIDI in circuit. Behringer's QA is apparently not great. I use the editor from the people that make the UNO and it's very good (cheap, not free). Also works with non-UNO FCBs.

Yeah for the LEDs, you won't get that with the stock chip, I actually misread the OP as wanting scenes instead of stompbox for some reason, my apologies.

PS. this is a free windows editor for the FCB1010, also compatible with the UNO chip. http://www.mtnsys.com/?path=faq-fcb/PCEditorBeta.htm?

Last edited:
Well I second what most guys aleady told you here. One of the available alternative firmwares should work for you. I used the UNO firmware for a while, but..

There is also a new player in the editor market by Gordius who makes the Little Giant stuff (really neat stuff actually).

Not only in the editor market. I upgraded my FCB to the LG-FCB board (LG-FCB) some time ago and I really like all the improved or new features. The import/export feature makes it really easy to "batch edit" your settings in your prefered text editor.

And tbh the man behind the LG-/Gordius-products (Mr. De Donder) was everytime very friendly and helpful if I had a question (btw. how many answer customer mails on a sunday morning at 2 a.m.?)

And to that pal, who suggested "ebay". A midi board isn't really part of the audio signal chain and only has to send some bytes of information. Even a Behringer is good enough for that. ;)

But hey.. just my 2c

(OT: Shouldn't this thread better fit in the "MIDI Controller / Other" section of this forum?)

Last edited:
Hi folks,

I bought the behringer fcb foot controller and I'm having a difficult time to program this thing.I saw a tutorial on youtube for how to assign the expression pedals and it helped me a lot but there are other things that I can't figure out.Does somebody know how could I assign the numbers 6,7,8,9,10 for stomp box switching and the numbers 1,2,3,4,5 for switching the patches.I also having a problem with the bank switching.When I start to switch banks it goes from bank 00 to 09 and in every bank I can select 10 presets only, but does anybody know how to set this thing up to go higher because I want to be able to select more than just the first 100 presets.Sorry if this is not the appropriate place for this post and also sorry for my bad english :roll

You need UnO chip for the stompbox functionality. If you've got an Axe II then it's not necessary as using scenes is more useful but can't be mapped reasonably to stompboxes as you can't turn scenes off. Basically if you want to use scenes you just have to completely ignore the LEDs on the FCB and just remember where you are as only one pedal's LED is active at the same time (meaning it can't show for example selected preset on top row and selected scene on bottom row).

Definitely use Ripwerx for editing, but notice two things:

• It doesn't necessarily work for uploading your bank configuration. At least on my system the FCB just crashes if I do. So I use MIDI-OX for the actual updating (save a Sysex file in Ripwerx, upload with MIDI-OX).
  • By default it doesn't show all program change options so if you have presets toggling back or some other strange behavior, check that in Ripwerx you've set all columns to visible and removed any extra program PC or CC messages that might be there.

You could map higher than 100 patches on the pedal but then you'd be limited to presets 100-200 for example. Just forget about it, you won't need over 100 patches for anything.

i run a fcb 1010 and it works killer with the eprom upgrade its easy to install it...... youtube it if you want to see it done its piece of cake to do the chip is 10 bucks the guy who burns the chips is really cool he shipped it very fast in a static bag and i have run it for a while now and no problems and "meshuggah" uses one fredrik has one and he also has a back up live so if the 1010 suck that bad like some say he wouldent have it in his guitar rig they tour a lot so that says its road worthy i have had mine for ever never had a issues

"meshuggah" uses one fredrik has one and he also has a back up live so if the 1010 suck that bad like some say he wouldent have it in his guitar rig they tour a lot so that says its road worthy i have had mine for ever never had a issues

Well not 100% sure, but in the last "meshuggah rig rundown" i saw (this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAFJmgA2G5E), which was recently posted here (Lounge?) btw, they had one FCB lying around and said he only uses one of the pedals for an effect and, just as you said, backup if the PC MIDI controlling stuff would stop working.

But I think we should really stop arguing about the build quality of this board. It's around for a while and because of it's low price its a decent first MIDI-controller for a lot of us. Well and a lot of you guys seem to use yours for quiet a while now. Mine is only some months old and I use my stuff mainly at home (so not very heavy duty).

And I'll repeat myself here but isn't a MIDI controller just a device to send some "controll bytes" to a device? So doesn't matter which brand of devices sends these bytes.. the AxeFxs output will sound the same, right?

Btw. I think 'shredi knight" just wanted to make a funny statement (and maybe has underestimated the number of happy FCB users (even here) ;)).

Last edited:
Mines almost 10 years old, been hacked up and modified and it still works like new. I've had a few Behringer products that were not very good. The FCB1010 isn't one of them. And when you compare the capabilities with how powerful the configurations are it's the best value out there by a mile. Its not the best pedal ever made, but it's a very good one.

The uno chip is only for the toggle function.
Otherwise you need one pedal for on, and another one for off.

If i remember correctly.

Also, I think you can write (but not read) to the chip directly from the axe, but I'm not sure.

First thing you'll need is the Uno chip to be able to do what you are looking for with the stomp boxes.

Next is that I recommend using Ripwerx to edit. I recommend it very highly. Of course you will need a MIDI interface on your computer to use it and it only works with Windows. I am pretty sure that Mac has something similar, but I don't know what it is.

After you get the Uno chip installed and an editor than you will be on your way.

Now you can use the AxeFXII USB MIDI port to download configurations from the FCB1010, but at present you cannot upload through it as it becomes corrupt and will hose up your footcontroller (just needs to be reprogrammed). Someone on here was saying that they thought they found a workaround, but I don't know who or where or how so you'd have to search for that. I'm not really sure that they were successful either so you may be wasting your time. A standard MIDI port on a sound card or a cheap USB to MIDI adapter will work. I usually take the output of the FCB1010 and keep that connected to the AxeFXII MIDI IN. I take the input of the FCB1010 and connect that to the output of the MIDI port on my sound card. Select the right ports inside of Ripwerx and go for it.

The uno chip is only for the toggle function.
Otherwise you need one pedal for on, and another one for off.

This isn't entirely right. You *can* toggle on/off without the Uno just like a stompbox (it will alternate note on/off or cc value 0/127) but...

1. LEDs won't stay lit, they just light on the last pedal pressed
2. A pedal won't retain it's 'state' when you press another one

...so basically if you want stompbox get the Uno. It costs peanuts and makes the FCB much more useable IMO.

So what has the new behringer factory chip corrected/added compared to the previous factory chip. And does uno still provide more functionality than the new factory chip?

Back
Top Bottom