Could a Fractal like product exist for Home audio?

awdwon

I had a thought the other day about whether or not the type of technology that Fractal delivers in the modelling department could apply to home hi-fi audio systems. I don't see really why it couldn't. One of my in-laws is a freak about what different pre-amp / power amp combinations will produce and has literally spent tens of thousands of dollars over the past few years to get to where he is now. It got me thinking about Fractal and the Axe FX. I'm surprised this type of product doesn't exist, or maybe it does and I've just never heard of it. Thoughts?

As a recording engineer and producer, I recommend just getting a nice pair of studio monitors and pairing it up with a good DAC. Then you will hear the product pretty much the way the engineer wanted and as close as possible to how they did themselves. Any colouration you hear with tube HiFi poweramps and the like are most likely distortion or EQ boosts and cuts. It might sound "nice" but it is the opposite of "HiFi".

IMHO, of course.

Use a pair of CLRs or Xitone cabs, either active or passive with a good power amp, or some good studio monitors, and you've got a great speaker system.

Then yes, a good DAC/preamp with quality transport, and you're set.

Now, home theater would be a different thing (more speakers and processing)...

But you're right, you can go completely nuts with that stuff too.

I'm cool with an older Pioneer Elite DVD player (not even HDMI, believe it or not) and higher-end Pioneer Elite receiver for surround; a pair of decent tower speakers, nice sub, and middle of the road center and surround speakers. Use the Pioneer MCACC to get the sound as right as I can without room treatment, a little tweaking, and it makes me happy.

I'm happy enough with my B&O 4500 which I bought new in 1989. I was 15 then. I got redline 45.2 speakers, and later I added a cona subwoofer, and recently I got my dads RX2 turntable.

Now, I know the 4500 amp and CD player are generic Philips made products of the time, but to me they are truly HiFi in comparison to today's products (iPods, iPads, lousy beats headphones, PC speakers, cellphones et...all terrible equipment on which to play music). No need for Fractal gear in this department thanks, not that I wouldn't be intrigued.....

Back
Top Bottom