Copying / Creating a Patch - New Ultra User

Paul2916

Inspired
Hi! I have a basic question about creating a patch but can't seem to find an answer in the manual or on line...so, here goes.

Q. If I have a relatively 'simple' patch that I like (say something like comp 1, amp 1, cab 1 and reverb 1) but I want to thicken up the sound by running an identical chain alongside consisting of comp 2, amp 2, cab 2 and reverb 2 - all with IDENTICAL settings to the initial patch, is there a quick way to effectively copy & paste each item from chain '1' into the '2' part of the chain?

At the moment I am having to build each effect the 'long' way by looking at each item's page settings in chain 1, writing that down on paper and then dialling the settings into the effect in chain 2....over and over. Surely there is a quicker way?

Thanks in anticipation.
Paul

You can't copy a whole chain of effects, but you can copy and store each one of the blocks by right clicking on it and choosing Save Settings. Then just right click on an empty block and choose which saved block you want to paste.

If the settings on the effects are all the same, I'm not sure there would be much difference between having a separate chain and just having a separate amp sim feeding into the existing chain.

Thanks for your answer Bryan. I assume that you are editing the Ultra using the Axe-Edit computer software...that's a bit beyond me at this stage, I'm SO new to this, I am just using the Ultra box at this time.

Thanks tzrider, you may well be correct. I could use that bike of yours to help me ride this learning curve! Ha ha. Cheers!

Instead of a duplicate chain that will give you exactly the same output, try adding a short delay in parallel with a shunt at the end of your chain.

Hi! I have a basic question about creating a patch but can't seem to find an answer in the manual or on line...so, here goes.

Q. If I have a relatively 'simple' patch that I like (say something like comp 1, amp 1, cab 1 and reverb 1) but I want to thicken up the sound by running an identical chain alongside consisting of comp 2, amp 2, cab 2 and reverb 2 - all with IDENTICAL settings to the initial patch, is there a quick way to effectively copy & paste each item from chain '1' into the '2' part of the chain?

At the moment I am having to build each effect the 'long' way by looking at each item's page settings in chain 1, writing that down on paper and then dialling the settings into the effect in chain 2....over and over. Surely there is a quicker way?

Thanks in anticipation.
Paul

The duplicate chain will increase the volume but not alter/thicken the tone. You can just as well keep a single chain and turn up the level somewehere.....

Thanks Yek, I appreciate your input. It's the copy and pasting of the amp/stomp/cab/etc... that I'm really interested in, not thickening the tone as such. I should have said in my original post that I'm not using the Axe Edit software at this stage, too soon!, just working with the unit. Cheers!

Thanks Yek, I appreciate your input. It's the copy and pasting of the amp/stomp/cab/etc... that I'm really interested in, not thickening the tone as such. I should have said in my original post that I'm not using the Axe Edit software at this stage, too soon!, just working with the unit. Cheers!

No such luck, Paul. Copying of blocks within the Axe-FX itself is very basic and limited. You can copy a block from another preset, provided it's the same instance of the block (i.e. you can copy AMP1 to AMP1, but *not* to AMP2)... that, of course, does not help you with what you initially asked about, it merely adds yet another limitation. You cannot copy a block within a patch, and you can only copy the same instance of a block across patches.

Global amps might provide some relief for the amp block, if you want to go that route, but won't help with any of the other block types.

In short, you need to add new blocks and tweak them manually to match.

Thank you Dpoirier, I understand you completely and yes, you have answered the question that I was trying to ask. From my perspective I'm heartened by your answer because I thought this might be the case but you just never know... Thanks again.

Thanks Dpoirier, your answer makes complete sense to me as I really had read the manual but wasn't finding the answer at all. I'm only a couple of days into owning an Ultra so you can probably empathise with my world of confusion right now - ha ha - but already I have made three patches of my own and I'm really enjoying the sounds that I can achieve with even my limited knowledge. Thanks again for your help.

Back
Top Bottom