Wish Copy scene opens copied scene

aldavis1941

I wish when I copied a scene to another scene, the editor would go to the copy. I find myself accidentally modifying the original when I wanted to modify the copy. Presets work this way. Thanks.

Which scene will it open when you select to copy the current scene to all the others? Or will it remain on the currently selected scene, in that case?

Last edited:
Which scene will it open when you select to copy the current scene to all the others? Or will it remain on the currently selected scene, in that case?
When I open the dialog to copy it, the current scene is gray and the other scenes are selectable. After I pick one, it does the copy but leaves the focus on the original. If one doesn't catch that, one begins to edit the current scene not the copy. I just noticed that there is a 'swap' dialog. I guess I could keep going, finish messing up the original then swap it.
My use-case would be something like FC SW #1 would be a base setup and FC SW #5 (the one above) would be the same scene but with more stuff turned on. For that work flow, changing the focus to the copy makes a lot of sense to me.

Yes, you basically already said so... :) but, again: Which scene will it open when you select to copy the current scene to all the others?

You work on scene 1, you copy it to scene 2, you want it to switch to scene 2 in the editor, instead of remaining on scene 1. Got that.

But when you work on scene 1 and then you "copy current scene to ALL", which scene should the editor then switch to? 2? 3? 4? ... 8?

Last edited:
This is probably a good idea. There are enough apps that work that way that I subconsciously expect it to switch to the scene I'm copying to, and like Moke I often end up editing the wrong scene as a consequence.

The inconsistent way copy/paste is handled for scenes/channels/presets/blocks could probably benefit from some cleanup.

What is the end-user's expectation of a 'copy to all' function? The user is most likely thinking of it as a 'fill operation'. If one wants to 'fill' something, the expectation is that the focus would remain on the original. The user's expectation of a 'copy to another scene' is most likely that they want to start with what they have and make a change to it. The user wants to interact with the copy not the original. That is a 'modification operation'.
The use-case that is currently implemented could be called a 'backup operation'. The copy is made and the focus remains on the original. The implied result is the original is 'backed up' and the user doesn't intend to interact with the copy. Although that is certainly a legitimate use-case, I submit that it is not the mostly likely expectation of the typical end-user.

Back
Top Bottom