Wish Copy & paste feature

maorgr

Inspired
Hi,

I know my suggestion is going to sound a bit meh, but as I re-associated like 100 presets to IRs yesterday, I could have really used the WIN+V feature, however axe-edit does not support that feature, sadly.

Also, it would be cool if we could write scripts which go through presets and change blocks according to a csv, or change / remove / add components based on predefined parameters...

Just my $(0.01x2)

Big fan

Last edited:
The editor has it's own buffer, I think.

Also, unless the same capability exists on Mac I'd be surprised to see it implemented.

However, thanks for the tip as I wasn't aware of that feature. Sounds useful!

Hi,

I know my suggestion is going to sound a bit meh, but as I re-associated like 100 presets to IRs yesterday, I could have really used the WIN+V feature, however axe-edit does not support that feature, sadly.

Just my $(0.01x2)

Big fan
It’s difficult to tell exactly what you’re talking about because the Edit apps already support copy and paste from the keyboard and using the menu bar and pop-up contextual menus. We can copy and paste presets, scenes within their containing presets, blocks to/from the same and other presets, and channels into like blocks either to the same or different channels, and the value of parameters.

In addition, the Block Library can contain Cab blocks, which can be inserted into presets or used to reconfigure/overwrite existing Cab blocks. Each block stored can be an individual channel or all channels, so it’s a convenient addition to copy/paste. Configure a Cab channel, save it to the library, then cycle through the other presets and reuse the channel.

You could even use Edit’s bulk parameter change ability to automate the process in selected presets.

Some paste actions don’t make sense so they can’t occur, such as copy/paste of scenes into different presets, but without a better explanation of what you are trying to do it’s hard to help.

It’s difficult to tell exactly what you’re talking about because the Edit apps already support copy and paste from the keyboard and using the menu bar and pop-up contextual menus. We can copy and paste presets, scenes within their containing presets, blocks to/from the same and other presets, and channels into like blocks either to the same or different channels, and the value of parameters.

In addition, the Block Library can contain Cab blocks, which can be inserted into presets or used to reconfigure/overwrite existing Cab blocks. Each block stored can be an individual channel or all channels, so it’s a convenient addition to copy/paste. Configure a Cab channel, save it to the library, then cycle through the other presets and reuse the channel.

You could even use Edit’s bulk parameter change ability to automate the process in selected presets.

Some paste actions don’t make sense so they can’t occur, such as copy/paste of scenes into different presets, but without a better explanation of what you are trying to do it’s hard to help.
actually what I'm talking about it quite easy to grasp (though I do ought to apologize for my bad English)

Anyway I purchased a preset pack, and the author has associated the cab IRs to his presets based on his USER numbers on HIS AXE FX.
since his numbers were occupied on my AXE FX, I had to re associate each preset to the IR user number on my device...

actually what I'm talking about it quite easy to grasp (though I do ought to apologize for my bad English)

Anyway I purchased a preset pack, and the author has associated the cab IRs to his presets based on his USER numbers on HIS AXE FX.
since his numbers were occupied on my AXE FX, I had to re associate each preset to the IR user number on my device...
Typically preset vendors who provide IRs as part of their product include instructions on where the presets expect the included IRs to be.
Maybe take a look in the install directions for info like that.

Typically preset vendors who provide IRs as part of their product include instructions on where the presets expect the included IRs to be.
Maybe take a look in the install directions for info like that.
Well, for that specific package he did not, but it was easy to "reverse engineer" the issue, and he helped me quite a lot, but still that's a lot of manual work.

I purchased a preset pack, and the author has associated the cab IRs to his presets based on his USER numbers on HIS AXE FX.
THAT should have been said in the original post.

The problem is that the modeler associates IRs with the cabs using the slot number. We have a longstanding request to make the association be more rigorous, more intelligent, and able to automatically maintain the Cab block links when moving IRs. I suspect it’s not an easy modification and might break existing backups and preset packs. And it also might not be possible to shoehorn it into the hardware which has finite memory.

But even that wouldn’t help when first installing presets and loading their required IRs because it collides with your existing user IRs.

Edit supports bundling a preset with its associated cab IRs and then makes it easier to save the IR and maintain the associations, however that only applies to single presets, not entire backups. Creating preset packs using that mechanism would result in very bloated distributions and could even cause worse problems if the user was not paying attention.

It’s a growing pain in the system, and hopefully Fractal can find a way around it and slide it into an update someday. Until then it’s up to us to organize the IRs.

PS - If the packs used the factory cabs initially, the installation and audition process would be much easier. Then if the user wanted to switch to the supplied IRs associated with the pack they could consult a list, see what the IR is, load it, and let Edit sweep through and update the presets. But, again, that’s a growing pain, only in a different place.

Last edited:
THAT should have been said in the original post.

The problem is that the modeler associates IRs with the cabs using the slot number. We have a longstanding request to make the association be more rigorous, more intelligent, and able to automatically maintain the Cab block links when moving IRs. I suspect it’s not an easy modification and might break existing backups and preset packs. And it also might not be possible to shoehorn it into the hardware which has finite memory.

But even that wouldn’t help when first installing presets and loading their required IRs because it collides with your existing user IRs.

Edit supports bundling a preset with its associated cab IRs and then makes it easier to save the IR and maintain the associations, however that only applies to single presets, not entire backups. Creating preset packs using that mechanism would result in very bloated distributions and could even cause worse problems if the user was not paying attention.

It’s a growing pain in the system, and hopefully Fractal can find a way around it and slide it into an update someday. Until then it’s up to us to organize the IRs.
That is the REASON behind for my wish, not the wish itself.

That is the REASON behind for my wish, not the wish itself.
It always helps to explain the reason to give the whole picture, not rush to the assumed solution. In programming it’s called an “XY question”.

We agree with you that the problem is a PITA. Those of us who have done a lot of development understand how we got into this situation, it’s just hard to get out of it without breaking the existing system; it’d be a major rewrite of that part of the firmware and wouldn’t fit well into how the hardware and editor duo work together.

It always helps to explain the reason to give the whole picture, not rush to the assumed solution. In programming it’s called an “XY question”.

We agree with you that the problem is a PITA. Those of us who have done a lot of development understand how we got into this situation, it’s just hard to get out of it without breaking the existing system; it’d be a major rewrite of that part of the firmware and wouldn’t fit well into how the hardware and editor duo work together.
You're correct, and my wish is far from being a solution, but rather a quality of life(work) suggestion for people who need to execute tasks similar to mine.

You could have use manage cabs and move the ir to the number location you wanted. And copy the previous one elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom