Wish Copy/paste block from FM3 front panel

Seb Rura

I’d really like to be able to copy any block from a preset to a clipboard and paste it into another preset (or the same). No advanced features, just a simple copy/paste. I highly enjoy using the FM3 without the computer software, and this feature I really miss.

Copy/paste is not something available from the command line of most computers. While there’s a front-panel UI on the modeler, it’s different from the full stack of a computer’s GUI.

I don’t expect Fractal to be able to implement cut/copy/paste in the hardware in this generation, but maybe the next generation. It’d be convenient, but for now we have *Edit, which allows us to do 90% of what we need.

is there currently a way to copy a delay block (or a single channel from it) into another preset from the front panel?. I want to understand what you mean by Edit covering 90% of this

is there currently a way to copy a delay block (or a single channel from it) into another preset from the front panel?. I want to understand what you mean by Edit covering 90% of this
From what I understand copy-paste is not possible on the unit itself.
(Edit is the Mac/PC editer)

i believe the easiest way is to save the block to your library and just open/import it in the other preset

I want to understand what you mean by Edit covering 90% of this

The modeler acts like a host computer and Edit is basically a terminal connected to it that asks the computer for information and presents it to us on our computer using the GUI. For the most part, Edit’s abilities mirror what we can do from the front-panel of the modeler.

Edit can do Batch Change, which is basically what we can do one-by-one on the front-panel, only Edit does them across a range of presets much more quickly. Edit also hosts Fractal-Bot, making it convenient for installing and restoring and backing up the files in the modeler’s FLASH memory without having to quit and load the external version of Fractal-Bot. And Edit manages the Block Library and the Snapshot manager. Conversely, Edit cannot modify or view all the global settings, only a subset of them.

Because Edit runs on windowed GUIs with keyboard and mouse support most of us are more likely to use it, but it’s a really good idea to have at least a basic idea how to navigate the front panel and modify presets.

thank you guys for the answer. I understand that most of these things are implemented on the desktop tool and not in the unit's firmware. The reason why i'm interested in this is because i'm on GNU/Linux and so far there's no way to run FM3-Edit on it. At least i haven't had much luck with Wine. The unit works flawlessly as an audio interface, but the editor won't find the device.

Being able to reuse some stuff from different presets from the panel would be very nice.
A linux version, or at least getting it to work with wine (i know some folks have had good luck with Axe-Edit) would be great as well, but i've read there are no plans to do that because the Linux community is not very significant.

i'm on GNU/Linux and so far there's no way to run FM3-Edit on it. At least i haven't had much luck with Wine. The unit works flawlessly as an audio interface, but the editor won't find the device.
Were you able to successfully load the driver onto Wine?

Of course about everything can be done in FM3 Edit on a computer, but that’s not relevant to my wish. As I wrote, I enjoy using the FM3 without a computer. I grew up programming synths when there were no computers, so I’m used to and prefer working directly on the device.

To me it doesn’t make any sense that a simple copy/paste function can’t be implemented on an FM3 because of hardware restrictions. It has buttons. It has memory. You can edit presets without storing every change at all times. Why wouldn’t it be possible to use a tiny part of the memory to store a block? Genuine question.

Back
Top Bottom