Coolest practice/light-duty FRFR to date...

hippietim

Axe-Master
I wanted to buy a Boss DR-01S for the living room to jam with acoustics. Fortunately, they aren't available yet. Out of curiosity I looked around for something similar and stumbled on the Korg Stageman 80. I can't tell if they're being discontinued or have just started shipping because not many dealers have them and most that do show out of stock. A store had one on Ebay and I tried a lowball bid expecting a counter and they just accepted it. Very cool :)

So the Stageman arrived the other day and I got to fire it up last night. Rather than just jam along with my acoustic, I decided to see how well it did with the AX8 since the Stageman has 4 inputs. Once I sorted out some whine issues, I started just having fun with the thing. It is a surprisingly good sounding powered speaker for the AX8 - it sounds better than a number of PA monitors that I've tried. Even with only 2 4" speakers at 40 watts a side, it was pretty darn loud. The drum sounds were very good - they're rhythm loops so it sounds and feels pretty good - much better than the usual sterile drum machine patterns.

If you are so inclined, it can be powered with D batteries as well for street jams. I could see this thing being really good for the folks that do coffee house gigs - it has more than enough power for that.

Back
Top Bottom