cool NAMM stuff

MesaGuitarGuy

Power User
here is the first thing that caught my attention:
Imagine a guitar that has perfect tuning, intonation anywhere on the neck, which can also offer alt tunings and virtual capo?
Oh, and model pups, etc.
(and NOT a L6 product?)

Auto-Tune for Guitar

watch the videos on that page for more info

I'll have to look for that tomorrow.

The first thing that caught my eye were guitars and basses by Brown's Guitar Factory that are fretted up to the 12th fret, and then are fretless from there up. I played one of the guitars and liked it, although I don't really get the point of having fretless on the high notes. Can't find a good picture to post here. They've been around for a couple of years but I'd never seen them before.

The other thing that caught my attention was the 360 drum rig that Tommy Lee plays upside down. My wife was like "wtf?!!??" I said, well that's one way to make sure your drummer doesn't drink too much ;-)

As good of a concept as auto tune is, a properly constructed instrument that has been properly setup will intonate and stay in tune. As for the rest of what it can do there is nothing really there that Line 6 hasn't already perfected with the J.T. series guitars but it's a nice try though.

I don't like autotune. I don't like autotuneguitar.

Edit: Others may do, it may be good for others. yeah others may love it :D

here in Arizona, I play a lot of gigs outside. That means it can be in the low 40's in the winter and 110 in the summer. My guitars are all quality guitars. They all suffer from staying in tune in these conditions. Having a built-in system would save me hours (or so it seems) of retuning between songs. Just sayin...

here in Arizona, I play a lot of gigs outside. That means it can be in the low 40's in the winter and 110 in the summer. My guitars are all quality guitars. They all suffer from staying in tune in these conditions. Having a built-in system would save me hours (or so it seems) of retuning between songs. Just sayin...

I can see where in an environment like that it can serve a usefull purpose.

You also have ridiculously wild swings in humidity. I was in Phx last year when it hit 2% followed 2 days later by rain. Auto-truss-rod-adjust would be helpful in those conditions.

You could get yourself a Trussart. That'd probably take care of the humidity issues! ...... but then you might have some rust problems :lol

I have some of the same issues in Utah. I live in the mountains at 6700' but often play 1/2 hour away in Salt Lake at 4200' so I also have significant pressure changes... add in temperature and humidity and it can be a problem. I always try to get to the gig with enough time for my guitars to equalize temperature but can't always do it. I've been in a dust storm in Phx once, too... it was like being in hot dry fog. Glad I wasn't gigging.

Anyway, I played one of the new Peavey's equipped with the auto-tune system today. I have to say, I liked it. I think the thing it does that the others (Variax and the re-introduced Roland VG Strat, which btw sounds sweet) don't do, is that if a Variax or VG is a bit out of tune, when you switch to another tuning it's still out by that amount. Or do the Variax/VG actually do the auto-tune thing and compensate for your strings being out? The rep said they don't but I'm not sure...

This one wasn't connected to midi so I wasn't able to quickly switch to alternate tunings. But what you can do, is for example if you want Baritone tuning, you bar across the 5th fret and engage the auto-tune function. The tuner compensates by making the 5th fret regular EADGBE, so your open tuning is now Baritone. Or if you want Drop-D, you just grab the low F# and hit auto-tune, it makes that 2nd fret note into E, which makes the open string D. Pretty cool. I'll be interested to see the full-featured product.

Mesa, did you get a chance to try it out?

Last edited:
Autotune and the auto-truss rod adjuster would be very popular in Minnesota. We go from brutal sub zero temps (most years - I don't think it's been below zero once this winter and we've had days in the 50s in Jan) with super low humidity to 100+ degree days and fairly high humidity. If you don't know how to adjust your truss rod here, and have more than a couple of guitars, you need a trust fund to keep up with the weather's effect on setup.

I'm waiting for the Peavey AT-200 even if the auto-tune seems to kill the sustain a little bit.(i will try to find a workaround)
The best in tune guitars i had were a telecaster and a stratocaster deluxe plus.
They were almost right all along the neck and stay in tune several weeks.

Less than 500$? Bravo Peavey.(probably cheap guitar but anyway, enough good for me with the autotune)
Check the face of the guy on the left at the beginning. lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom