Cool Effects that you *have* to have.

H13

Inspired
So I've been tweaking my patches and getting my effects set up with my pedalboard and I've got a huge problem.

My patch is only running at 70% usage and I have a spare spot on my footswitch for another effect.

So CLEARLY I need to get another stupid noise going on. The laws of the universe say so.

I'm a big Gilmour fan, so I've got:
- Wah
- Compressor\Delay
- Phaser
- Chorus
- Flanger
- Rotary (looooove this)
- ???
- PROFIT.

So what should I fill up that blank space with? I've got a fair bit of processing power left so any ridiculous combination of effects will happily be experimented with.

So I've been tweaking my patches and getting my effects set up with my pedalboard and I've got a huge problem.

My patch is only running at 70% usage and I have a spare spot on my footswitch for another effect.

So CLEARLY I need to get another stupid noise going on. The laws of the universe say so.

I'm a big Gilmour fan, so I've got:
- Wah
- Compressor\Delay
- Phaser
- Chorus
- Flanger
- Rotary (looooove this)
- ???
- PROFIT.

So what should I fill up that blank space with? I've got a fair bit of processing power left so any ridiculous combination of effects will happily be experimented with.
UniVibe

If your a Gilmour fan I'd think you'd need a delay and maybe a drive pedal (though with the right amp you can get away without it)

In my patches that aren't exact song patches, I always have to have:

-Dotted Eighth Delay
-A lead delay
-Big spacey ambient reverb, for those times you just have to have it ;)
-I don't know if its considered an effect as such, but a Volume Pedal can just do so much, with swells and the like
-And of course, ye olde tubescreamer tightening trick

I like setting up a lead boost using a Filter block at the end of the chain, just adding +6dB, assign it to one of the 4 additional switch outs of the MFC101.
Amp X/Y and Cab X/Y.
My Reverb is set to change X/Y, initial reverb X is around 2.3sec Hall and Y reverb is an almost dry and tight space.
Drive pedal, I'm a fan of treble boost for increasing gain of my distorted Amp presets.
Pitch 1 (Harmonizer)
Delay 1
Multi Delay 1
Ring Mod
I always set my Volume to EXP 1 (I control the volume of the cab block) (change -80dB/+20dB to -80dB/-0dB)
and my Wah to EXP 2
Looper (I don't use this much but I program some of my presets with it)

Reverb,
Tape delay,
Tape chorus (really loving the tape chorus lately)
Pitch block for octave multiplying.
Multi delay.
Volume block coupled to a gate or filter, So i can make it act as a ducker basically for split into the parallel effects of chorus and delays or other misc stuffz.

If it's clean, then compressor, some chorus, some delay, some reverb.

If it's metal / rhythm just drive (FAS Boost in Q3 is Officially "The" Drive) - amp - cab

Leads might have some delay added, and EQ to boost mids, maybe a pitch block if I want to do weird whammy stuff.

Very seldom do I ever use wah.

Ambient could be anything, but always has a volume/pan for swells. But I do a lot of the delay/verb for ambient with DAW based post effects as well.

This is my usual setup. I've bolded the ones that I must have on my setup. I was pretty surprised that I could kind of manage with only 4 effects. I also have real Zvex Fuzz Factory and Dunlop Fuzz Face on my setup but they still haven't quite found their place.

Other sounds that I occasionally use are Binson Echorec 2 (with custom made expression knobs!) and Moog Taurus emulations. I love the Echorec and I'd wish to use it more often in our songs.

Wah - crybaby
RingMd: for bass octaver, don't use it too often
Drive 2: BB Pre at the moment, for more distortion and fatter leads. Y: Fuzz Face emulation so I can use the wah in front of this one. Still experimenting...
Drive 1: TS808 Y: Octavia emulation with treble cut off. Still experimenting...
Compressor: haven't found much use for this, might swap it out
Flanger: analog mono with lots of feedback (40%). I've been using this one with fuzz to have a HUGE flanger sound.
Phaser: EHX Small Stone emulation matched to my V2 Small Stone Y: Uni-vibe (using X for 95% of the time)
Chorus: Dimension emulation
Delay 1: vintage digital, matched to Ibanez DDL10. Y: same thing but with more mix and feeback
Filter: 6dB level boost, lately been experimenting with this one and decided to keep it

Amp
Cab

Rotary: I love the sound, but don't use it too much tbh
Delay 2: stereo tape for mountain top solo's and to add some space
GEQ: 4dB boost for leads
Looper: using this more and more often, but it's not a must-have yet

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom