Converting to an Axe Ultra need advice!!!

Ok so I finally am almost there for the funds to switch to an axefx rig. Heres my plan so far:

Axe fx Ultra
2 KrK Rokit 5"s
Presonus Firepod/firestudio (whatever its called)
And some nice headphones.

Can I run an Aux input through the presonus to jam along to a song on my ipod while having the axe fx going into it at the same time and listening either though the headphones or monitors?

And the presonus is the onlything Im not 100% on. It seems like the right tool but its firewire only, right?

Amd Ill be moving up from a POD HD. Besides the normal improvments in quiality, what are some features and such thatll be new to me? Like can you load custom IRs onto an Ultra?

Sorry for the somewhat vauge qurstions but Om not too sure what to expect at this point, I know the axe is best for my current situation and that it sounds great nut other than that I dont think Ill fully have a grasp on it all untill its all in my hands. But I want to be as prepared as possible if that makes sense

you should read the manual before buying. it explains a lot on setting up and what the features are

Ok so I finally am almost there for the funds to switch to an axefx rig. Heres my plan so far:

Axe fx Ultra
2 KrK Rokit 5"s
Presonus Firepod/firestudio (whatever its called)
And some nice headphones.

Can I run an Aux input through the presonus to jam along to a song on my ipod while having the axe fx going into it at the same time and listening either though the headphones or monitors?

Yes, this should be no problem at all.
The Axe 2 improves on this and acts as a USB interface.

And the presonus is the onlything Im not 100% on. It seems like the right tool but its firewire only, right?

I don't know about the Firebox specifically- I don't have one.
Most interfaces are either FW or USB- combined USB/FW interfaces are thin on the ground.

Amd Ill be moving up from a POD HD. Besides the normal improvments in quiality, what are some features and such thatll be new to me? Like can you load custom IRs onto an Ultra?

Yes, a big step up from the POD HD.
Custom IR's are no problem.

Sorry for the somewhat vauge qurstions but Om not too sure what to expect at this point, I know the axe is best for my current situation and that it sounds great nut other than that I dont think Ill fully have a grasp on it all untill its all in my hands. But I want to be as prepared as possible if that makes sense

I'm sure you'll be fine- just read as much as you can about the Axe, people here are always able to help.
Also check out the wiki.

Hey man if you plan on playing your Axe FX through monitors, I would REALLY recommend spending a little bit extra and getting Rokit 6's instead of Rokit 5's. I found the 5's to have very little low end response in them and they almost sound shrill. The 6's are a very tight sounding monitor that have a good amount of low end. For the small price increase, I would say its an investment you won't regret.

As for an interface, you can buy anything really it does not matter what you get.

So essentially this seems to be what your rig will look like:
Your computer will be plugged into (and powering if USB) your interface.

Guitar ---> Axe FX ---> Interface ---> Monitors

I wouldn't worry about getting nice headphones if its just for an Axe rig. I've never liked the sound of the Axe through headphones. As for an Aux input on an interface, you will have line ins so it will be fine. You will also be able to set up your computer so you can play music from your computer through the interface into your monitors. It will be no problem playing your axe while there is music playing as well. This is the setup I use.

Give the Axe Wiki a read. It's a great site for learning the device... I've had my AFX for like 2 months now and I feel like there's still so much to learn!

Well The 6s arent availble near me so its the 5s or the 8s. I dont mind buying the 8s but wont it be lind of overkill?

And the headphones are just for late night playing, I need the option to play practically dead silent.

And also for interfaces Ive hit a roadblock. I like whatthe Firestudio and the Saffire pro40 have to offer but the fact that theyre firewire causes issues potentially for me. Is there a 1u rackmount thing similar to those 2 that is UsB powered and reliable? If not which one of those small halfrack interfaces would work for me?

I have the 8s and love them. They have a really full sound. Did you listen to the 5s and then the 8s? If they have both bring in listen to similar genre on both before you buy. Before I got my 8s I did a ton of research on monitors and if you go with anything less than an 8 you will be missing a ton of the bottom end and should team it up with a sub.

On other thing, don't exPect the axe to blow you awa at first. You need time to learn the unit then adjust for your guitar, room, etc etc. I know for the first 2 weeks I was REALLY disappointed but now after a year I haven't been happier and would never sell it. Unless I was to buy the 2 (or the 3 when it comes out lol).

I also use AKG 240 headphones. They sound great and I can wear them for hours without even noticing they are there. I do find though that you have to adjust your patches slightly to really enjoy the axe with headphones, at least for the distortion patches. I find the clean ones (especially ones with tons of reverb/ambient effect) are fun to play.

Back
Top Bottom