Converting from Pedalboard to Axe Fx

Hey guys! New here. My question is, has anyone here sold their pedalboard and utilized the Axe Fx as their pedalboard with a real tube amp? Did it work well? Im considering making the switch for versatility reasons, but Im not sure how well the Axe Fx's effects will hold up to my dedicated pedals. I would also get a use out of the amp blocks for home recording purposes, or when playing at church or a small venue.
Thanks!

Effects on AXE FXII are at the top. I left my analog pedalboard from years now. With the AXE FX, you can have the same sound as your analog pedalboard, comparing side by side the real stomps and the digital ones, I cannot find big differences to say, ok analog is better.
Where the Axe is a little bit lacking, is on Fuzz pedals like the Big Muff for Gilmour's tone.

I prefer pedals to the AFX.

Look, I bet the AFX can be tweaked to NAIL the EXACT sound of the pedal. And I'm sure you could spend 28 hours achieving that.

Or you could spend 100 bucks and plug in a proper TS808 that you could also plug into a real amp.

I prefer some pedals to the Axe, but I'd rather spend a little time on getting something that sounds good enough to me then haul more gear along. Time spent is usually something you do once, hauling additional gear along is something that you keep on doing. And that gets old real fast. Not to mention the additional tap dancing.

For me the FX were the biggest reason to get the Axe, as I wanted presets, less stuff to haul around and no more tap dancing. To me that was worth the sacrifice of ditching a few favorite sounds if I couldn't exactly recreate them in my Axe. No more having to diddle with knobs and settings during and between songs, everything switching over to a new setting with a single stomp, I'm loving it! Sure, I wish I still had a good fuzz boxes, like a good Muff and my Skreddy Lunar Module clone, but I reckon what I have now is good enough. And nobody in the audience will hear the difference anyway. So why go through all the hassle just because I am an anal retentive?

I did go through a learning curve though when I transitioned from pedal board to Axe. At first I tried to recreate my pedal board pedal for pedal. Including ye olde drive pedals into a clean amp setup. But the Axe did not have the drive pedals modeled that I used, and the ones it did I never really liked. For high gain stuff I never liked the Ruckus. I even tried to make a rig with some of my favorite drive pedals and an external looper in the Axe FX loop, but that alone added 10 kilos to my rig. Then it dawned on me, why trying to emulate a Marshall via pedals into a clean amp when I have Marshall amp models in my Axe. That was a game changer. Maybe if I ever get a guitar tech and roadies to setup and haul my rig around for me I'll go back to using real drive pedals, but until then it's the Axe only. My back thanks me for that.

Just try it and see if you think a given effect sounds good. I still have some specific pedals, but a lot of them, like my delays, I found sounded every bit as good in the Axe, with added bonus of synced tempo, dual delays etc

If you have a pedal you can’t easily match, then stick with that, but if the axe does the effect just as well, might as well sell the pedal.

In some cases the axe isn’t “as good”, but close enough for the few times you might want the effect.

Thanks for the replies guys! I think im going to jump in on the bandwagon. Now to see if I should buy one now, or wait til the 3 comes out....

Thanks for the replies guys! I think im going to jump in on the bandwagon. Now to see if I should buy one now, or wait til the 3 comes out....
The market for used Axe Fx II is at a high volume with low prices, so much easier to dip your toes into that world now.

After you use it a bit, I suspect you'll be selling your tube amp or at least using it way less... The Axe Fx is the real deal!

That's a different discussion altogether. Considering the waiting list it might probably be next year until you can get your hands on a III. On the other hand just knowing there's a superior unit out there might make you feel you settled for less? You might regret it later on? But if you got cash to burn and can't wait, I would suggest get a XL+ for as cheap as possible. 2nd hand market for the win!

I’d go for a ax8 if you plan to use pedals with it as well. All on the floor form factor works a bit better imo, plus you don’t need a foot controller, long cable runs etc

Lower price too. Can’t do quite as many effects at once and such but if your using hardware pedals for some things it’s less of an issue.

I use hardware fuzz, vibe and wah, then into the ax8 for amp and cab modeling, plus delay and reverb. Everything is at my feet and while rig is quite portable

Since he's mostly interested in using FX maybe the FX-8 is more his thing? That way he can use his old amp and drive pedals, and get all those pesky time based pedals in the loop of his amp.

I’ve owned an fx8, ax8, and now XL+. I have not tried the XL with a real amp but the FX8 was amazing in 4CM with a real amp. The AX8 I did not like that much. I tried it with a BE100 and a 5153. It had noticeable signal loss of high end sparkle when put before the input it 4CM. In my opinion the FX8 is THE best way to play with a real amp. The drive models seem to take a bit of experimenting. If you save your pedals to A/B until you find good settings you should be able to get really close.

I started with your plan with a Fractal AXFX Ultra in 2009 into a RoadKing. Sounded great, but it was too much stuff to tote. Had the AX FX8 been available, I would have bought that instead and might still be playing that way (with a really bad back). Now I just use an AX8 into an Atomic CLR. It sounds great (I get tone compliments at most gigs) and it's less than 50 pounds of gear vs over 100. The big adjustment from a tube amp is that all your tones are preset. The sound character changes as you go from bedroom to gig volume, so you need to set everything up at the appropriate volume. If you are playing through a half dozen presets or more, it's not as easy as twisting a tone knob to correct something that sounds bad. That's the downside but the upside is more than worth the set up and learning curve.

So the reason I'm considering using my amps at all with it is because I have 2 amps custom wired to my ear, and they sound killer. There also wouldn't be an amp model for them. At the same time, I recognize that convenience and sound advantages to playing direct in to the sound system, no matter what size the venue is. Alright I'm browsing the market for a used 2 then!

Back
Top Bottom