Convert my Axe-FX II presets to FM3 with FracTool, or scrap them?

How well are presets converted over to the FM3? I've got loads of custom and purchased presets, and it would be a shame to let them all go... anyone have experience to say how close to the originals will they sound after they're converted to FM3?

You will have to do some tuning for sure! I converted some of my AX8 presets and they are not translating well. I would say if they are fairly simple presets I would start from scratch, more complex ones I would convert just to have the layout then change what needs to be changed.

Exactly the same experience here migrating from Axe II to III. I used fractool for general scheme, then tuned as if I was building from scratch. Did not get good results trying to replicate.

at least keep the presets on a thumb drive. never know when you can use one. even though I use axe fx 3 now and sold the helix I still kept presets and cabs on a thumb drive because I can still use the cabs from the helix on the axe 3

Id scrap them honestly, the modeling has changed a good bit since the days of the II, and its probably going to be more work trying to convert things than to just start fresh. On my III I find that I have to do very little tweaking as most amps sound great just right out of the box, so it can require little effort to have a great sound.

I'd give it a go and see how you like it. I had pretty good luck converting presets over when I got my Axe III.

I've had mixed luck moving things over with Fractool. Most of the presets required tweaking and adding in and out blocks. Many were incompatible due to legitimate differences. There were some "happy accidents" created in the broken translation without me having to do anything once I set up the in and out blocks, like my new fave pushed Dual Reverb (Frankenstein's Twin) preset, so I'm glad I tried the Fractool conversion.

For my "transitional rig", I went OCD with it (proof in the pics below). I set both systems up identically, using the same input signal to the stereo CLRs, each using an EV1 for volume. I compared and tweaked my top presets side by side in FM3 Edit and Axe Edit, sometimes matching as many settings as I could with the FXII Edit settings. Changes and additions in the FM3 amp block options made this tough, but I was able to identify and match about 80% of the settings. This took a lot of time, but it was helpful in getting familiar with the new options and FM3 Edit. I've decided that approach wasn't worth the effort and now I'm using the FM3 stock presets and seasoning to taste. Many of the stock presets sound incredible as is, especially with the added scenes. I hear and feel an improvement over the FXII XL+ when comparing similar presets side by side.

Transitional-Rig-Monitor.jpg

Transitional-Rig-Gear.jpg

Back
Top Bottom