Convert Axe FX III Presets to FM3 presets

Hi, I'm new to the Fractal system and just got an FM3 today. Is there an easy way to convert a Axe Fx 3 preset to the FM3? I'm over on CPU space currently

you'll have to delete unnecessary blocks until it fits. The FM3 isn't nearly as powerful as the III

FM3-Edit can easily load presets from the FX3 using the Preset Manager or the embedded Fractal-Bot, with some caveats:
  • The grid is smaller, so blocks in the FX3 preset that are off the end or bottom on the FM3 will be moved to the first column and be disconnected, which will break the preset. You'll have to move them back to where you think they belong in the chain and reattach them, which will be difficult without having been able to see where they were or what they did prior to the import. FracTool can help you see the layout and parameters, but often that isn't enough information to get it to work.
  • Some block-types don't exist on the FM3 or their blocks can have more occurrences on the FX3 than the FM3 which will only have one or two. The non-existing ones or additional ones will be silently dropped. Odds are really good this will break the preset completely.
  • It's really easy to accidentally import a preset that overloads the FM3 CPU, and that condition makes it hard to get rid of the preset. It won't break the FM3, but it's likely to really frustrate and irritate you. Read the section "Problems With A Single Preset" on page 102 in the FM3 manual for how to work around that problem.
  • There is an awful lot of capability in the FM3, and because of the potential problems, and because you're not well versed in this, I'd recommend not trying for a while and, instead, explore what the FM3 can do. The frustration you'll encounter if the import goes wrong will outweigh the advantages of having the FX3 preset on the FM3 the majority of the time in my experience and opinion.
If, in spite of those, you want to continue, you can load exported individual presets or banks from the Preset Manager, just drop the file into the left panel, pick the ones you want and drag them over to the slot(s) you want to use, then save them.

It's much easier to convert an FX3 preset to the FM3, and you'll have a better chance of success, if you have an FX3 and know the limitations and differences. Comparing the FM3 to the Axe-Fx III will help. I've done this many times, with varying degrees of success. Sometimes I stripped out what I didn't want and reduced the layout so it would fit into the FM3, other times I split the preset into two separate ones, but after doing them I've only kept one or two.

The factory presets for the FM3 are an excellent resource to learn what the unit can do, and how to get it to make those great sounds. I suggest wandering through them many times and playing with their various scenes. You'll probably find that loading presets from the FX3 isn't that important to you.

Last edited:
Excellent response, Mr. Ferguson. Thank you for sharing your experience.
Well, thanks.

It’s a path I’ve been down many times. Having the FX3 really helps because I can do the conversion on it, then push to the FM3, which really rules out those situations where the preset would fail during import. But, after releasing Cygnus on both platforms, Fractal went through all the presets on the FX3 and fine tuned them for that platform, then took those and fine tuned them for the FM3.

The resulting presets are really good, and for the most part sound the same on the FM3 as on the FX3. Yeah, there are some differences, but given the FM3 limitations it’s kickin’ some major butt. That’s why wandering through the factory presets is useful, it’s a great way to become aware of what it can do, then take them apart and learn how to do it. At that point there’s much less need to go through the porting process.

Leon Todd (@2112) and @Burgs have great videos that demonstrate a variety of topics and then share their presets. Those are good for doing the same thing too: Dissect and learn. And @Cooper Carter has his Masterclass which is an in-depth series.

The resulting presets are really good, and for the most part sound the same on the FM3 as on the FX3. Yeah, there are some differences

What kind of differences? I've been trying to decide between AXE III and FM3 to replace my AX8. I think I could get by with 3 switches, I don't need dual amps, vocoder, or tonematch. My signal chains consist of a few pedals at most. But I don't want to compromise on sound quality / feel of the amps or effects. I also read the scene switching gap is larger on the FM3 but I'm not sure if this matters in real world use. I love the sound of the AXE III but if the FM3 has the same sound and is more portable and for less money then that's the route I should go.

What kind of differences?
The previous link to the Wiki article explains them.

They’re so close you couldn’t tell unless you know what to listen for, and in a live band setting odds are really good you couldn’t tell, and the audience definitely won’t; A preset created on the FM3 and loaded onto the FX3 will sound identical when the parameters are the same.

The scene switching gap difference? I’ve never noticed that. If I’m using the editor and I switch scenes, yes, sometimes the display doesn’t refresh as fast, but that’s hardly the same as the switching time on the device itself, instead I think it’s tied to the USB processing. The sound seems to switch in the same amount of time but, even if it didn’t, the difference is so tiny that I haven’t noticed, and I can be really picky about those sorts of things.

I notice some occasional artifacts as I toggle parameters in enabled blocks when switching scenes, but those are because I was lazy and didn’t set my scenes and block controllers up the way I should have, but that’s my fault, it is a problem with any modeler, and is consistent between the two. But the scenes switch plenty fast to keep up with me, especially when I do them right.

IMO, the FM3 is plenty good for the average giggling musician or small or home recording studio. The FX3 is targeted at the touring pro, who already has racked gear and would be using multiple amp and cab types and big effect chains, or a busy studio that absolutely must have the best sounding reverb or the blocks not available on the FM3. And, even then, using the FM3 to re-amp or post process a track will close that gap, or just use the DAW’s plug-ins, or buy those one or two pedals that are essential and stick them into the effects loop… creative thinking can make a difference there. Finally, some of us are in a position where the FX3 is somewhat of a luxury; Similar to having many guitars and/or amps we didn’t need, it was convenient, it scratched an itch - my FX3 allows me to usually keep my FM3 packed and ready to go and keep my room somewhat less cluttered, which at our house helps ensure domestic tranquility.

Really, if you are unsure whether the FM3 is right, buy one, return it if it doesn’t meet your needs and upgrade to the FX3.

Last edited:
The previous link to the Wiki article explains them.
Unfortunately, the article doesn't list every difference. It doesn't mention the Input Gain parameter in the Setup menu, for instance, which drastically affected the results when I ported my AF3 presets to the Fm3, nor does it mention some additional settings in the knee parameter of the compressor block. There are others, but I can't remember off the top of my head. But, as you said, they're so close you'd have to know what you're listening for to tell the difference, and I'd argue that even then it'd be so subtle that you'd probably guess wrong in a blindfold test. In terms of editing presets, hell, you probably would never even know the parameters were different or missing unless you were carefully comparing them one-by-one, side-by-side with the Axe III.

The FM3 is, IMO, hands-down, the best value in modeler technology on the market today. It was a even better before the recent price hike, but still; i bought mine literally hours after the price hike and still have zero regrets. I can keep my Axe Fx III at home and the FM3 kills it for rehearsals and gigs.

Last edited:
Well, thanks.

It’s a path I’ve been down many times. Having the FX3 really helps because I can do the conversion on it, then push to the FM3, which really rules out those situations where the preset would fail during import. But, after releasing Cygnus on both platforms, Fractal went through all the presets on the FX3 and fine tuned them for that platform, then took those and fine tuned them for the FM3.
oh, yes. i, too, have been down this path. I thought it was just me. coming from a slew of desktop pc/software modelling offerings, i wouldn't say i'm a novice. i will say the fractal UI/learning curve is not beyond the others mostly just different words for same things. however, i have not seen others that have other product models begging for tone files to be converted. i almost said easily converted :)

not only did you confirm it wasn't just me, i learned a thing or 2. thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom