Convert a Mesa 4x12 recto cab to FrFr

LoPaN

Inspired
So I have a 4x12 recto cab sitting aroung, at the moment I run my XL+ through an Art SL1 power amp into two Yamaha PA speakers that have 8" woofers. Its sounds great but compared to the mesa cab lacks low end. I like the Mesa cab but I prefer FrFr the mesa cab colors the sound too much. Is there any way to convert a Mesa cab to FrFr? Im guessing new speakers would need to be installed but is it that simple just a speaker swap?

thanks all

Alan

true frfr takes lots of carful engineering to accomplish just fr though my not be to hard with a speaker change and adding some tweets and crossovers, maybe since you already have the power amp, mesa, and pa speakers maybe if the ohm load is not a problem you could run all three(mesa like sub, yamaha like satilites)

You can change your speakers but that won't make the cabinet full range nor flat response. If it were so simple, everyone would be doing so.

Agree with all responses. Converting a cab to frfr sounds like an interesting dabble in sound engineering but a pretty lofty goal..

Xitone is a stellar example of an FRFR cab that has the "in your face" appeal of a standard high-quality guitar cab but really allows the AxeFx to do what it's best at.

Save the time and effort and accompany your AxeFX with the proper equipment when you can! Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How about making an IR that corrects the cab? There was a thread about this in the past and I've thought about trying it myself.

I think you're asking for something that breaks the laws of physics. Even if you would get the EQ somewhat similar we're talking about one 8" speaker doing what four 12" speakers are doing. :) If that was possible... there would be no need for 4x12 cabs right?

I'm gonna repeat what's been said many times..

Obviously FRFR setups and traditional cab setups are globally different in regard to the Axefx. But I have found cab Sims ON with a cab sounded killer in a few ways! I even recorded a cab sin thru a Marshall 212! It sounded "wolfish" and cool!

Use your ears! Find what YOU like... that being said, I don't believe you can retrofit a cab to be FRFR truly, but maybe you'll come up with a killer way to use this fascinating tool of ours! I personally went XiTone FRFR and have never looked back.
Good luck!

If you simply insisted on doing this, I'd probably say to use two high end (Beyma?) coaxial drivers loaded diagonally with NOTHING in the other speaker locations.

Still, not a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom