Convert 2 Stereo inputs to 4 Mono channels for processing

F.A

Hi!

I'm considering an Axe FX III with a fairly unique use case in mind.
I've read the manuals and I think what I want to do should be possible but it's hard to confirm without the unit in front of me and would greatly appreciate if someone here would take a look and see if it's doable.

The use case:
8-string guitar with individual outputs from each string. The individual pickups are loZ, flat response and full range as opposed to the quite lowpassed sound of regular pickups.

The 8 strings are to be summed to 2 stereo pairs using an external mixer and connected using two stereo inputs on the Axe FX.

In the grid I want to first be able to EQ the 4 signals, preferably independently, and pan them so that all 4 signals will be centered. I do not want the pairs of direct strings to remain hard panned L+R.

Each of the 4 signals will then be processed by 4 separate stereo delay blocks, a few ms of delay on each side and modulated for a Pat Metheny-like chorus sound. I want to have different parameters set up depending on which strings I'm processing hence the 4 Delay Blocks.

All of this will then be mixed to one stereo pair with the delays panned hard L+R and the 4 string pairs in the middle to be sent to an amp block -> Cab Block -> Longer delay of around 400ms -> 2 Resonator Blocks in parallel (to emulate the Resonant Chord Algo from the Lexicon PCM 80 et al) -> Reverb -> Output 1+2

If this would work, it would mean that I could have the 8 string permanently hooked up to 2 Stereo Pairs, my regular 6 string Ibanez connected to the regular Instrument input and the output from the pickup in my classical guitar connected to one input of the remaining stereo pair of inputs and be able to quickly call up different presets for the various instruments whenever inspiration strikes, all with the unparalleled quality of processing that the Axe FX provides.

Thank you all in advance for reading and helping me out here :)

In the grid I want to first be able to EQ the 4 signals, preferably independently, and pan them so that all 4 signals will be centered.
Volume/Pan blocks (input select parameter) can be used for this part. While the Axe-FX III only has 4 vol/pans, there are a couple alternatives (mixer block, or any block that can output a 100% dry signal into a null filter) if you need a vol/pan for something else.

Also note that amp blocks are mono, so if you want the stereo delays to go through an amp and remain stereo, you'll need two amp blocks with input selects set to left/right.

Volume/Pan blocks (input select parameter) can be used for this part. While the Axe-FX III only has 4 vol/pans, there are a couple alternatives (mixer block, or any block that can output a 100% dry signal into a null filter) if you need a vol/pan for something else.

Also note that amp blocks are mono, so if you want the stereo delays to go through an amp and remain stereo, you'll need two amp blocks with input selects set to left/right.
Thank you!

As I will only have 2 Stereo Pairs for the inputs, I figure that 4 Volume/Pan blocks would suffice to convert those signals to 4 Mono signals ready for further processing and then utilising 2 Amp + Cab blocks as described in order to get the full stereo spread of the delays.

Adding this quick sketch of what this patch could look like as it may help visualise what I'd like to do as well as help anyone reading easier see any glaring errors.

Attachments

• Skärmavbild 2024-01-24 kl. 14.35.20.png
    Skärmavbild 2024-01-24 kl. 14.35.20.png
    50 KB · Views: 13
Back
Top Bottom