Controlling the AxeFx via WiFi with an iPhone / iPad / Android device

multivir

Inspired
Hi guys - the title says it all. I finally got it to work. Without hauling a laptop.
The key ingredient is called "The missing link", a OSC / MIDI converter that acts as WiFi hotspot and can be found here:
The Missing Link : Jabrudian Industries LLC

I am not affiliated with Jabrudian, so all information that I'll post is limited to my personal experience with the device.

Here's what you need:

Axe Fx
Midi cable
The Missing Link and a power supply (regular DC or via USB)
MIDI cable
iOS device (iPhone / iPad /iPod touch)
TouchOSC app from the app store. Oh, there's also an android version. Haven't tried it though.

Here's what you have to do:
There's a YouTube video that explains the ML setup procedure, which is pretty straightforward. Then you have to install TouchOSC on your iPhone and either create or install an existing interface. I'll post mine when I have access to my machine tonight or tomorrow.

What works great: Patch changes, on / off for fx blocks

What doesn't work smoothly (yet):*
Exp. pedal fx like wha stutter a bit when controlled via a fader.
I lost connection once or twice and haven't figured out yet why that happened
When you turn on effects and change to another presets, they stay on, although they're not active (based on the state of the recalled patch). You first need to turn them off, then on again.

Bottom line

It doesn't replace a pedalboard yet - but is a pretty neat gadget and saves you quite a bit of weight if all you need to do is switch between three patches and a few stomp box style fx. Now I only need to find a way how to attach my iPhone to my Telecaster so it's accessible without getting in my way (no, definitely not the Jim Dunlop iPhone suction cup) :)

Cheers,

M.

Too cool! Was only a matter of time before someone came out with something like this. I'm sure people will find all sorts of uses for this device.

I'm having some problems with programming via touchOSC editor. How can you simply set up a patch change switch? The editor seems to overwrite my entered parameters as soon as I save. Any tips?

Back
Top Bottom