Controlling more than one AxeFX3 from AxeEdit(s)

simonp54

Experienced
I have two units. Im looking to understand what is the best way for using AxeEdit with both units at the same time on a single Mac. If I plug in each unit to a separate USB-C interface on my Mac can I run two instances of AxeEdit and connect to each AxeFX3 separately? If this is the way to do it, how to I configure AxeEdit to connect to the (second) AxeFX3?

I run two FX3s to one Mac & I get a pop-up every time I fire-up AxeEdit asking which unit to connect to.

There's an option in the menus to show connected devices and choose the one to connect to.

You can't run multiple instances of Axe-Edit as far as I'm aware...

I've recently been using this with 2 FM9s. It works switching back and forth but the built-in FractalBot doesn't seem to work quite right. I have to unplug the one I'm not using to be safe when sending firmware updates or uploading presets.

I'm not sure if Axe-Edit has the same problem as FM9-Edit.

I've recently been using this with 2 FM9s. It works switching back and forth but the built-in FractalBot doesn't seem to work quite right. I have to unplug the one I'm not using to be safe when sending firmware updates or uploading presets.

Yes Axe-Edit does have the same issue, with 2 AFX3's I have to shut one unit down to do firmware upgrades .

For everything else the shortcut Command K pulls up the connected device dialog so you can switch quickly between units on a Mac which is pretty slick

There's an option in the menus to show connected devices and choose the one to connect to.

Yes Axe-Edit does have the same issue, with 2 AFX3's I have to shut one unit down to do firmware upgrades .

For everything else the shortcut Command K pulls up the connected device dialog so you can switch quickly between

You can run multiple instances connected to different Axe-Fx III’s. You cannot connect more than one instance to the same unit, though.

You can run multiple instances connected to different Axe-Fx III’s. You cannot connect more than one instance to the same unit, though.
Really?

Trying to start more than 1 instance for me has always displayed an error that only 1 instance can be run. But then I never did that with both units connected to my computer.

I only have 1 Axe Fx III but I'll try it with FM9-edit and see.

Really?

Trying to start more than 1 instance for me has always displayed an error that only 1 instance can be run. But then I never did that with both units connected to my computer.

I only have 1 Axe Fx III but I'll try it with FM9-edit and see.
You will need to change a config file. Go to C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Fractal Audio\Axe-Edit III\.
Search on <VALUE name="ALLOW_MORE_THAN_ONE" val="0"/> Change value to ="1" And save. This will allow a 2nd instance of the editor to run. Have only done this with two Fx IIIs, though.

You will need to change a config file. Go to C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Fractal Audio\Axe-Edit III\.
Search on <VALUE name="ALLOW_MORE_THAN_ONE" val="0"/> Change value to ="1" And save. This will allow a 2nd instance of the editor to run. Have only done this with two Fx IIIs, though.
Oh and let the hacking begin 😅

Is this a documented change? How did you learn about it?

Do you need to redo this after editor updates?

Also, you only listed a directory. What's the file name?

I've tried using "open -n /Applications/FM3-Edit.app" in Terminal for Mac, but it doesn't work.

I get a popup that says that an instance is already running.

What's the file name?
Axe-Edit III.settings...double click & use notepad to open file.

Just tried it and I can open two instances of axe-Edit.
My second axeFx isn't at home right now so can't verify that it would connect to the second instance of Axe-Edit. So far though, no reason to dispute what 'HereToday' posted.

Axe-Edit III.settings...double click & use notepad to open file.

Just tried it and I can open two instances of axe-Edit.
My second axeFx isn't at home right now so can't verify that it would connect to the second instance of Axe-Edit. So far though, no reason to dispute what 'HereToday' posted.
I'll try it with our FM9s soon...

I just uninstalled latest version (after having done the change), re-installed previous version then re-installed latest version back again and the changed value remained throughout.
Tested with FM9-Edit and it does work (using the correct settings file for FM9).

Note that you need to close the editor before editing the file.

I did notice that while both were running I had odd behavior of things getting redrawn while I was moving the mouse over the screen. It was even happening in the inactive editor session.

Back
Top Bottom