Controlling JP2C with Axe Fx III and MMGT 22

brettllingle

Inspired
I can't get the Axe-Fx III to switch channels on the JP2C via midi. I have a custom midi cable so I can use phantom power to the MMGT 22 which uses both the midi in and out ports on the Axe-Fx III. I have another midi cable going from the midi through on the Axe-Fx III to the JP2C. The midi channel is set to channel 1 on the Axe-Fx III, JP2C and the MMGT. Any help would be appreciated.

You have two options to switch the channels on the JP2C. Are you planning on having the RJM switch the channels or the AxeFX?

If you plan on using the AxeFX you need to use the midi block and either assign the midi functions to Scenes/presets so they fire when there is a scene/preset change. Or you can assign PCs/CCs to the Control switches in the AxeFX and have them fire off when the control switches are triggered. (Generally I would avoid using control switches with your rig since you're not using an FC12/FC6)

If you're planning on using the RJM MMGT, you need to assign buttons in the buttons page or use presets to fire off midi from the RJM to switch to the JP2C.

In general, I would recommend firing off the string of CC#s from either the axefx or the RJM to control which channel, and which functions (Boost/EQ/Shred etc) rather than having the JP2C "learn". This way you can keep track of what's being fired off

You have two options to switch the channels on the JP2C. Are you planning on having the RJM switch the channels or the AxeFX?

If you plan on using the AxeFX you need to use the midi block and either assign the midi functions to Scenes/presets so they fire when there is a scene/preset change. Or you can assign PCs/CCs to the Control switches in the AxeFX and have them fire off when the control switches are triggered. (Generally I would avoid using control switches with your rig since you're not using an FC12/FC6)

If you're planning on using the RJM MMGT, you need to assign buttons in the buttons page or use presets to fire off midi from the RJM to switch to the JP2C.

In general, I would recommend firing off the string of CC#s from either the axefx or the RJM to control which channel, and which functions (Boost/EQ/Shred etc) rather than having the JP2C "learn". This way you can keep track of what's being fired off
My only option is to have the RJM plugged into the Axe-Fx III since the JP2C only has midi in and midi out. Then running another midi cable from the through on the Axe-Fx III to the JP2C.

how are you trying to get the Axe3 to change the JP2C? what specifically is the Axe3 doing to control it?

My only option is to have the RJM plugged into the Axe-Fx III since the JP2C only has midi in and midi out. Then running another midi cable from the through on the Axe-Fx III to the JP2C.

Then you have two options. Either create a button/buttons on the button page of the RJM in one of the layers for each channel and function. Then you can have each preset turn on or off whatever functions you'd like and assign them in the preset.

I'd highly recommend using the RJM editor as Ron has already programmed in the default CC#s in the editor and you can just have it assign all the functons to a button page like below

Screenshot 2024-01-14 at 3.55.00 PM.png

Other option is assigning everything in the midi block in the AxeFX3, and then having each preset trigger fire off the midi CC#s. (Much harder and more arduous)

Other option is assigning everything in the midi block in the AxeFX3, and then having each preset trigger fire off the midi CC#s. (Much harder and more arduous)
I will try these options thanks. I am illiterate when it comes to programming midi. I am not even sure what cc and pc or control switches are.

I am thinking it would be a lot easier having the FC12.

While I would never talk anyone out of purchasing a fractal product, I would just say that the Mastermind GT22 is already more than capable of handling what you want it to do. But, you will run into the same issue with an FC12 if you don't understand midi.

Not to toot my own horn, but there are plenty of competent rig builders/programmers that you can find here. (Including myself) that may help guide you.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/forums/find-a-teacher-expert.123/

While I would never talk anyone out of purchasing a fractal product, I would just say that the Mastermind GT22 is already more than capable of handling what you want it to do. But, you will run into the same issue with an FC12 if you don't understand midi.

Not to toot my own horn, but there are plenty of competent rig builders/programmers that you can find here. (Including myself) that may help guide you.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/forums/find-a-teacher-expert.123/
I appreciate it. My question is if using the RJM editor, wouldn't I have to pick the JP2C as the device on the RJM MMGT 22 instead of the Axe-Fx III?

I appreciate it. My question is if using the RJM editor, wouldn't I have to pick the JP2C as the device on the RJM MMGT 22 instead of the Axe-Fx III?

You can have both. Just have them as two separate devices in the devices page. Just make sure you also assign the proper midi channels. The mastermind can control up to 16 midi enabled devices.

You can have both. Just have them as two separate devices in the devices page. Just make sure you also assign the proper midi channels. The mastermind can control up to 16 midi enabled devices.
Thanks man I got it working! As soon as I added the JP2C to the RJM MMGT 22 it worked! I didn't even have to do anything else! I really appreciate it! I didn't know you could add more than one device in the edit device page. Doh!

The cabling and connections all sound fine. You need to set the JP and RJM to different midi channels however. Then set up the JP in the devices menu of the RJM, though I think it will be a generic PC/CC device.

From there, I might first build presets and PC changes to address the Axe primarily, and control the JP using IA buttons. But now we’re getting into specifics with the JP I’m not familiar with and overall preset design methodology.

Edit: you already got it sussed

Thanks man I got it working! As soon as I added the JP2C to the RJM MMGT 22 it worked! I didn't even have to do anything else! I really appreciate it! I didn't know you could add more than one device.

Perfect! Yes RJM mastermind can handle A LOT of different midi devices, you just would be wise to set up different midi channels for each device or else everything gets sent to each device. You'll run into weird issues and crosstalk.

During my tenure with Def Leppard, the mastermind Midi GT22s were controlling, IIRC 10 (?) devices in their racks.

Back
Top Bottom