Control Switches Stay On Between Presets?

kmachman

Inspired
I just began using control switches to control the amp boost, saturation, fat, bright and bass cut switches. Set them up in AmpControl layout 6 on FC12.

I have quite a few presets programmed with that now.

Now I notice when i engage a control switch in the AmpControl layout (6), it will continue to keep them in the state i leave them in one preset to another totally different preset.

Is there a way to make it so that those switches dont carry over to other presets? Or are they a constant across the preset spectrum?
I like that they stay on between scenes... but having them act as global seems odd to me.

This is controlled in Controllers → CS per Scene. The default is "Last" which will keep the Control switch state to whatever it was Last (and what you see). I prefer to set all mine to Off except in scenes where I want them on - I use CS1 as my Amp Boost and engages that in a few scenes
I didnt think that the controllers settings (Off, On & Last) would carry over to all presets. Thought that was just per preset, but i guess its global?
I'll give that a try... thanks.

Yeah... not really doing what i thought it was gonna do. Its odd that the "Last" setting is global across all presets. I would have thought it would just be "Last" within the same preset across scenes.

I guess I'll have to play around some more. Thanks again.

CS Per Scene is saved per preset. It is not global.
Correct, but if the setting is "Last" on the scene that's loaded when you switch preset, the Control Switch will keep whatever state it has - making it in effect global. If you wish it to always start "off" when you load a preset, you will have to set the CS Per Scene to "off" for the default scene for that preset.

Correct, but if the setting is "Last" on the scene that's loaded when you switch preset, the Control Switch will keep whatever state it has - making it in effect global. If you wish it to always start "off" when you load a preset, you will have to set the CS Per Scene to "off" for the default scene for that preset.
Thats absolutely true. Kinda sucks really... Maybe should make that a "wish" to change that. Not sure why it would be like that... for my needs anyways.

I rely heavily on it maintaining the state between presets. I'll have a preset-per-song approach and it's really the only way to control block states across all presets. Makes total sense for my workflow.

Thats absolutely true. Kinda sucks really... Maybe should make that a "wish" to change that. Not sure why it would be like that... for my needs anyways.
You change it by setting CS Per Scene to "off" on the default scene if you want it "off". By having the three options you have great flexibility and there would absolutely not be any need to change this.

For instance it's not uncommon to have like a single-coil boost in presets. If you attach that to a Control Switch you could have that global between presets if you set CS Per Scene to "Last" for that Control Switch.

I don't necessarily agree. There could be a 4th choice that allowed it to be "last within preset".

I can see a use case for this...
Although thinking about it, I'm not sure just 1 more option would suffice... Because what would the CS when changing presets?

That could become complicated.

Although thinking about it, I'm not sure just 1 more option would suffice... Because what would the CS when changing presets?

That could become complicated.
You mean for instance:
  • Preset 1has CS 1 setting "last within preset", you set CS1 on.
  • You switch to Preset 2, set CS1 to off.
  • You switch back to Preset 1, do you mean that "last within preset" should set CS1 to on when loading the preset?
In that case, the unit would need to globally keep track of the Control Switches potentially across all presets. And yes, that sounds more complex than other similar use cases in the Fractal world.

That's not the way it works. The CS state is determined by the CS per Scene setting of the scene that is being loaded (the destination), not the one you are coming from.

If you switch to a scene that has CS per Scene set On or OFF the CS will turn on or off respectively when that new scene is loaded. If CS per Scene is set to Last, it keeps its last setting. Switching presets works exactly the same. It just uses the setting for the default scene of the destination preset.

Nevermind, I think I mis-read your reply. We're basically saying the same thing. The limitation is you can't have all the scenes set to LAST in a preset but still have it load specifically as On or OFF when you first switch to that preset.

Last edited:
I think the difficulty is that there is maybe no distinction between loading a scene from within a preset and loading the default scene after changing presets. You'd need independent settings for both cases. Some sort of "On Preset Change" setting.

Songs and Setlists also let you load any scene from any preset, so it would have to consider not just the default scene for any given preset, but all of them.

The limitation is you can't have all the scenes set to LAST in a preset but still have it load specifically as On or OFF when you first switch to that preset.
Yes, that is definitely a current limitation. That would have to have two new options like "Last (default on)" and "Last (default off)".
I would like to see an option like @unix-guy mentioned. Then have the individual Control Switch states just 'load as saved' if that option is used.
I've never understood the appeal of the default scene being the scene when the preset was last saved, and I don't think that's a good default setting. But since it is a setting that the default scene is the scene when last saved, having Control Switches follow the same standard would make sense. So now where up to:
  • On
  • Off
  • As Last Saved
  • Last
  • Last (default on)
  • Last (default off)
  • Last (default last saved)
I could see the use case and my workflow is much simpler so personally I don't need any additional settings 😀.

One possible work around if you don't use all 8 scenes is to duplicate your default scene in an unused scene and then set its CS per Scene setting to the different state needed on preset load.

For example, say you use Scenes 1 through 4 in a given preset and Scene 1 is your default. Duplicate Scene 1 in Scene 8 and make that the new default. You could then have CS per Scene set to LAST for scenes 1 through 4 and set scene 8 to Off. When the preset loads it would load scene 8 and the CS would be Off, but anytime you select scene 1 from that same preset, it would be set to LAST.

I was thinking about this the other day... I'm actually fine with the current options of on/off/last, but here's my wish - and maybe there's a way to do this that I just haven't figured out:

Let's say I have a preset and my CS per scene setting has control switch 1 Off for scene 1 and On for scene 2. I load the preset, and now I'm on scene 1 and the switch is off. I turn it on with a footswitch. Then I go to scene 2, and it's on because that's what the setting says. When I go back to scene 1, it will turn back off... but maybe I'd prefer it to stay on, since I had it that way when I left scene 1. At least until I go to another preset and come back.

Basically, the way it works now is like having "scene revert" on, and I'd like to be able to turn it off. Then control switches would work more like block bypass switches. Or have I missed something, and this can already be done with a setting I haven't found yet?

Back
Top Bottom