Control Switch Per-Preset

badmagick

Inspired
I had been using an external switch to engage the pitch block but want to try to use CS1 for this function (modifying the bypass). I can assign CS1 to one of the buttons in the effects page just fine and it works. However, when I try to assign it in the Per-Preset layout, I can't get it to work. Are there any known issues with this function? I am on FW1. This is my first crack at the per-preset functionality, so I am guessing I am missing something simple.

Here's the preset. In the effects page (toggle the "MORE FX>>", the CS1 works fine to engage the pitch block.
When I hold the scenes button and goto the Per Preset page, the CS1 button does not change state.
Any help is appreciated....

Attachments

• MOST SONGS.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 1
Not answering myself because I haven't yet dived into per-preset switches, though I'd like to, and I'm sure I will eventually, when I have a strong need.

I'm pretty sure they're not as straightforward as the concept is in my head, where you just go to any preset, and replace any of the switches in the layout you're on with a custom switch that only applies to this one preset.

I'm not sure why that is, but it's probably because Cliff has come up with a hugely powerful abstraction that I'll love once I understand it. Still, gotta say, it's too bad this isn't simpler.

Or maybe it is, and I just gotta get my hands dirty.

Last edited:
Not answering myself because I haven't yet dived into per-preset switches, thought I'd like to, and I'm sure I will eventually, when I have a strong need.

I'm pretty sure they're not as straightforward as the concept is in my head, where you just go to any preset, and replace any of the switches in the layout you're on with a custom switch that only applies to this one preset.

I'm not sure why that is, but it's probably because Cliff has come up with a hugely powerful abstraction that I'll love once I understand it. Still, gotta say, it's too bad this isn't simpler.

Or maybe it is, and I just gotta get my hands dirty.
You assign the desired function in the Per-Preset area, then you change a switch you want to use into a Override (replaces the global function on that switch for that one preset only) or change the switch entirely to a per-preset global function (which adopts whatever Number you used in the first step on all presets).

My Effects layout has mutated into an empty layout onto which PPOs are placed. This is in contrast to my Presets ans Scenes layouts, which are pretty etched in stone across the whole pile of presets. PPOs are incredibly useful....

Thanks guys.
I’ll try Chris’ suggestion. If I’m not successful, maybe I’ll put up a video of my process. The override thing is new to me as well but I’ll poke around a bit more.

Sorry for the crappy video, but despite the low (or zero) production quality, I really think this will describe what I am trying to do and how I am falling short better than my crappy text...
Thanks again...

And just for a little more info, here's a snap of my FC Config
If there's anything else that may be helpful, please let me know...
E1E567CB-24F9-411C-A10B-465091010510.jpeg

Tim

Sorry for the crappy video, but despite the low (or zero) production quality, I really think this will describe what I am trying to do and how I am falling short better than my crappy text...
Thanks again...

And just for a little more info, here's a snap of my FC Config
If there's anything else that may be helpful, please let me know...
View attachment 93676

Tim

Please show a screen shot of the footswitch layout with your pre preset switches. Not the per preset button, just the regular page for switches. And click on switch 6 so we can see the tap and hold function there.

Updated

Attachments

• 221E4A7A-3887-49D4-90BC-9933E8F7D60D.jpeg
    221E4A7A-3887-49D4-90BC-9933E8F7D60D.jpeg
    212.4 KB · Views: 24
  • C7E562C1-25CB-40EC-B94E-487C930EB444.jpeg
    C7E562C1-25CB-40EC-B94E-487C930EB444.jpeg
    168.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 74A7E113-C5BA-40E4-8CFE-E294C1F0F001.jpeg
    74A7E113-C5BA-40E4-8CFE-E294C1F0F001.jpeg
    209.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 87EA5087-2ED1-4A54-AD82-2A2B06A6C7A3.jpeg
    87EA5087-2ED1-4A54-AD82-2A2B06A6C7A3.jpeg
    145.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Appreciate you looking at this. I've been fine with an external switch for this function, but I'm just trying to streamline a bit...

Updated the attachment
an Override function is used when you want the switch to do it's normal function (like Chorus On) in ALL presets except for one (or a few) exceptions - these exceptions are where you'd use the Override.

since you're already using the Per-Preset Layout for this setup, you're replacing Per-Preset #6 with an override to do Per-Preset #6. so no need to use overrides here.

you should remove the Overrides from that entire layout since each switch is already set to do the Per-Preset function.

however for the issue specifically, Switch 6 has a "hidden" hold function for the Master Layout Menu, where you hold switch 6, then tap switch 9. you can turn that off in the FC Settings (i know it's on the hardware menu, not sure it's available in Edit).

that's probably why it works in your Effects layout (CS is on Switch 5, so no hold conflict there), but not in your other layout due to it being on Switch 6.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh….
Of course I pick the one switch to do what I want to do that won’t let me do what I want to do!

I disabled the MLM Switch Combo setting in FC Setup on the unit and now it works! Not sure how one would possibly know this, but thank you!

Any possible negative repercussions from disabling this feature? I am using the OFMG9 (or whatever they’re calling it) setup.

Thanks again!

Any possible negative repercussions from disabling this feature? I am using the OFMG9 (or whatever they’re calling it) setup.
Probably no negatives as that layout setup has direct layout switches to move around, and isn’t reliant on the Master Layout Menu.

Back
Top Bottom