Control Axe FX II with Cubase?

DakenSG

Hello all,

I’m getting ready to record some guitar parts using my Axe FX II Mark II with my band. Our band leader will be using Cubase 6 for recording. I would like to know if there is a way for Cubase to send out MIDI messages to control the Axe FX II during the recording process. More specifically, I have a WAH block in my preset that I use an LFO modifier on to sync to the tap tempo. In this case I’d like to do one of the following;

1) Use Cubase to output a MIDI command that will sync the Axe FX’s LFO with the song’s tempo, and also send a “start” command to trigger the LFO to start at the beginning of its curve at a certain spot in the song.

Or…

2) Use Cubase to create the LFO curve to control the WAH block at a certain spot in the song.

Option #1 is my preference.

I believe what I want to do is feasible with an “automation” track, but I have almost zero experience with Cubase and want to be sure before we get set to record.

Has anyone tackled this before? Or have the knowledge on how to achieve it?

Thanks all!

I'm probably sticking my neck out and saying something that reveals the true depth of my ignorance, but I am a cubase user (cubase 9 elements). What you're asking might be possible (if I understand correctly), but I don't think it would be done with track automation, which is typically used in mix down. With my limited experience, I can't think of a way to do it with MIDI comands from cubase.

One way to tackle this is to just record the track dry (amp, cab, maybe drive, and no other effects), and then add the desired effects in post-processing - you would probably need some after-market effect vst plugins.

An easier way, is to play the tracks against a click track (stable bpm) and set up your effects timing to that tempo, tied to scenes for quick clean changeover while recording. Low tech, but tried and true. This is easier if the drummer and band can handle click tracks. Some people get it easily.... others are hopeless. Even if cubase can do the MIDI command you want, you will still be on a click track (how else can cubase know the correct oscillation frequency?).

I'm sure there are people with cooler ideas than that, and look forward to hearing about how what you want to do can be done.
Good licks! (As in guitar licks....)
SJB

I have my DAW setup to do something similar. The Axe-FX will respond to MIDI clock to set the global tempo. Since your LFO is already sync'd to tap tempo it should work without any more modifications to your preset. You just need to connect the Axe-FX to the Cubase computer.

I use my Axe Fx 2 sync'ed with Cubase in live concerts.
As my band plays sync'ed with a master track in Cubase, all my presets and dynamic interaction with Axe Fx are done "automatically".
I only need to worry about playing. No pedal dancing on stage. I still have a Liquid Foot connected to Axe Fx just in case, but rarely use.

1) It seems to be achieved by @hippietim tips

2) You to add a blank midi track in cubase. Then use the pencil tool to add "control changes" or "program changes" in that midi track in order to do whatevery you want in Axe Fx. You can even add sysex in a Cubase midi track, but probably it's not necessary.

Back
Top Bottom