Continued problem with tone matching

Axeman

Experienced
I've tried the tone matching a few times since getting the Axe II. Tried it again with v10 and still not happy with the results. I've been trying it with clean tones.

I get a good match tone wise, but two things bother me. First, the volume level is too low. I made sure the sample from the clip was loud enough, but maybe I'm missing something. I have to add 8db or more to the level to bring it to the same level as a normal cab. It doesn't make sense. Second, there is a slight what I will call "blanket" over the tone. Slightly muffled.

And finally while it does capture the right EQ and sounds good from a tone perspective, it doesn't sound great when playing other songs. It's as if the tone match was good for just the song. I can't explain it but there are very slight/weird tone artifacts in the sound when I play a simple note.

When I build my own tone with my ears I get clear, concise, smooth perfect tone. The tone match just loses something.

The clip I'm using is from a DVD and it's just guitar and nothing else. Pretty good quality but it it's a recording of Edge playing live (but alone) from the IMGL DVD. Maybe you have to have an absolutely perfect studio recorded tone?

I'll try to post a clip later, but any thoughts/tips would be appreciated.

TM is messed up in V10, it ends up sounding distant like there is reverb on it.

Hopefully V10.01 will correct this.........

There are known issues with TM in v10. It is being addressed as Cliff seemed to know what was going on as soon as it was brought up. Should be fixed in the next release which from what I understand is not that far off.

I could have used that four letter word (soon), but I don't want my mouth washed out with soap. :)

Back
Top Bottom