Bug? continually getting disconnected from USB / FM9-edit

I had a lot of issues with this right out of the gate when I first got my FM9 a month ago, almost to the point of packing it up and returnng it. Do you happen to be trying to run USB audio as well through it, for practicing etc? If doing that I have found that I have to specifically go into the FM9 Windows drive speaker sound settings and change the playback mode to the lowest setting, 16bit, from the default 24bit. This is even the case with the new windows driver they released last week. It's a bummer to have to go lowest quality, but before making that change I was getting all sorts of issues in Edit and playback when using them together. Another thing was if you are pushing the CPU of a preset over 81%. For me those two thing cleared up my issues. I do think FA could have improved the connectivity on the FM9T mk II since it was a new release with a price increase with USB 3.00, as USB 2 is a dinosaur at this point, but I am sure it had to do with motherboard specs and would have required some re-engineering.

I had a lot of issues with this right out of the gate when I first got my FM9 a month ago, almost to the point of packing it up and returnng it. Do you happen to be trying to run USB audio as well through it, for practicing etc? If doing that I have found that I have to specifically go into the FM9 Windows drive speaker sound settings and change the playback mode to the lowest setting, 16bit, from the default 24bit. This is even the case with the new windows driver they released last week. It's a bummer to have to go lowest quality, but before making that change I was getting all sorts of issues in Edit and playback when using them together. Another thing was if you are pushing the CPU of a preset over 81%. For me those two thing cleared up my issues. I do think FA could have improved the connectivity on the FM9T mk II since it was a new release with a price increase with USB 3.00, as USB 2 is a dinosaur at this point, but I am sure it had to do with motherboard specs and would have required some re-engineering.
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...e-converted-to-usb-anyway.202476/post-2532415

Hi all!

Got my FM9 MKII Turbo a few days ago and experiencing an USB issue.

When my MacBook Air M2, 2022, Sonoma 14.4 goes to sleep and wakes up again my FM9 (FW 6.0 and USB 1.02) is disconnected. FM9-Edit and System Audio don't show the unit anymore.
Only fix here is to restart the FM9. Restarting the laptop only doesn't help nor does replugging the USB cable has any effect.

An Apple USB-to-USB-C adapter is used, as the MacBooks only have USB-C ports. Nevertheless the cable is ok, as it worked perfectly with my Quad Cortex and without my Mac falling to sleep.

Found an older threat mentioning the app "Amphetamine" - but keeping my laptop from not falling to sleep can't be solution. ;)

Edit: Just tested again. Seems like the issue is not reliably reproducible.

Happy about any tips!

Last edited:
FYI, the USB cable that came with my FM9 was bad. Fortunately it's the first step in debugging a connection issue. Just switch it out with a known good cable.

Hi all!

When my MacBook Air M2, 2022, Sonoma 14.4 goes to sleep and wakes up again my FM9 (FW 6.0 and USB 1.02) is disconnected. FM9-Edit and System Audio don't show the unit anymore.
Only fix here is to restart the FM9. Restarting the laptop only doesn't help nor does replugging the USB cable has any effect.

An Apple USB-to-USB-C adapter is used, as the MacBooks only have USB-C ports. Nevertheless the cable is ok, as it worked perfectly with my Quad Cortex and without my Mac falling to sleep.

Found an older threat mentioning the app "Amphetamine" - but keeping my laptop from not falling to sleep can't be solution. ;)

Happy about any tips!
I've had this happen, as well - no hub in between the FM9 and my laptop (M1 MBP, Sonoma 14.3.1), just a two meter cable.

Hi all!

Happy about any tips!
Try this and bypass the garbage Apple USB-C to USB-A adaptor. I plug this in directly to my M1 Max MacBook Pro and leave my FM9T on and never experience a disconnect.

https://a.co/d/aFc3pZa

I'm using a 15' cable with no issues.
That is max cable length for USB 2.0 specifications.

It if works that's good but depending on many factors it might not.

I've also got a 15 foot cable that I use occasionally to update my other guitarist's unit. No issues so far...

10' too long for USB 2? Really? Grrrrrrr

5m (16' 6" ish) is that age-old protocol's specification. Is something not to spec in Fractal units that would seriously require suggesting 6' USB cables? Come on.

I have several (aged) pieces of USB 2 gear that carry 16 bi-directional channels of audio. GUI's hip as. AAX protocol... ... ...

Love Fractal to pieces, but man... it's 2024. Thanks be to Jaysus we're not dealing with SCSI, I guess.

Genuinely not trying to be a smart arse. I just wish Cliff was not only the biggest egg-head I know of in the modeling world, but wish he shit USB drivers/firmware before he had breakfast.

Just a rant, I guess. All love.

5m (16' 6" ish) is that age-old protocol's specification.

I think you’ve misunderstood the spec. That length is just a recommendation to not use cables that exceed that length. It’s not some kind of performance requirement. There are just too many environmental factors to permit any kind of guarantee in the spec about length.

Hi all, thanks for the input! Tried another cable, direct USB to USB C, without Apple Adapter, 2m long. Issue remains in general. Haven't found out yet how to reproduce it. Nevertheless, it definitely only happens after Macbook wakes up from sleep.

Back
Top Bottom