Considering Cab IRs for live vs. recording

johnnymillion

Inspired
When I'm dialing in tones for recording I love how cabs captured with ribbon mics sound warm and rich. Other single mic IRs can sound harsh out of context. I know that ears are the final measure, but do you lean towards IRs created with 57s or 414s (rather than mixes of any of these) when dialing in a preset for live use since it would emulate a mic a sound person would probably use?

Typically the IR's I use for live sound always contain at least one ribbon mic. I lean toward mixes containing a ribbon and 57, 421 or similar styles.

Typically the IR's I use for live sound always contain at least one ribbon mic. I lean toward mixes containing a ribbon and 57, 421 or similar styles.
Thanks. I'd be curious to hear this or try a preset if the cabs are stock. I have to close my eyes more when pulling up cabs and just listen.

I'll have to check the exact name for the stock cabs. One is a Gold Alnico and one is the Keith Urban 1265 with KSM mic. I usually mix those with an Ownhammer or the Ownhammer by itself using OH3 or Live Vintage which is a custom mix of the CND-70, DYN-57, DYN-421, and RBN-121 mic options.

This is one I add in stereo sometimes
020 — 2x12 DOUBLE AMP KSM313 — Keith Urban's '59 high-power Fender Twin cabinet with two Two-Rock TR-1265 speakers (similar to G12-65), UltraRes, captured using the Mic+DI method and Universal Noise Storage 3 Cab Pack). Before firmware 19: 2x12 Brit.

Last edited:
I select darker IR's when auditioning at 100db, the recording versions can be much brighter. Correct IR for the job sounds better than using EQ.

For example, in the Ownhammer naming scheme, sm57 01 for recording and 05 for live.

I select darker IR's when auditioning at 100db, the recording versions can be much brighter. Correct IR for the job sounds better than using EQ.

For example, in the Ownhammer naming scheme, sm57 01 for recording and 05 for live.
That makes perfect sense. Darker IRs could survive the Fletcher-Munson situation. Ok, now I gotta go turn up again. Have to wait till next rehearsal. :cool:

I have a lot of Ownhammer stuff now, and for each speaker/cab combination I add three IR's from the Quick Mix page. I like the 57, 121, and the OH1F mixes. 121 typically sounds really good for warmer tones and is usually my favorite. 57 is a classic selection and works for more aggressive sounds but usually it's too bright for me. OH1F is a combination of 57 and 121 that has some warmth and some cut. I like the OH1F over the OH1 because I like the additional low end (closer to the 121 sound).

Back
Top Bottom