Considering an Axe-FX II

jyflorida

Power User
Hello,

I'm considering purchasing an Axe-FX II and controller if I'm able to sell off my Line 6 equipment. Long story short, I've never had equipment failures like I've had with Line 6. Just a few questions about the Axe...
Is it a reliable piece of gear, primarily in a live situation? As far as amplification goes, is it a matter of personal preference? I'm thinking about something around $1000 or less. Is one solution better than another, ie. a keyboard amp as opposed to a powered speaker, or something along the lines of a Tech21 Power Engine?

Very stoked about what I've seen online so far. With any luck, my stuff will sell & I'll be able to take the plunge.

Thanks very much!

My impression is that if some of the heavy weights, (Via,Tabor, etc.) are using them live as well as the cluster of guys here on the forum, it would not be hard to surmise as... very robust and very dependable. Guys are gigging with it all the time.

http://www.fractalaudio.com/artists.php

Last edited:
Lots of guys have used it extensively foe gigging -- I've just started (maybe 10 gigs), having weaned myself off a 'real' amp, and it's fantastic. I use a QSC K12, which some love, others not so much, but it was well under a grand and keeps up with a drummer no prob.

Once you get some tones dialed in you're going to love it. Not only to I have my main tone that rivals what I was able to get with my old amp (but at any volume), but I get a whole slew of other amp sounds I never would've had the chance to use, plus an equally impressive number of effects. Oh, and it's easier to set up ;)

The other night I set it up to dial in live tones and ended up just playing on one patch for about 5 hours because I was loving the sound so much. I can't imagine you'd regret owning one, though they're certainly not cheap.

You won't look back once you do get one....
I sold a Line6 POD XT Pro and also got rid of my TC G-system and some other stuff to get a Axe II and an MFC101. I then got the Matrix GT1000 power amp to go with it ....and wow

Plenty of vids and recordings on here for you to check out and compare options. Good luck

Okay. Be calm. Sell your gear, sell your car, sell your mother. Run, don't walk to the bank and send these guys the (serious) money. I was a tube amp bigot, but never really got any one amp 100% there. Here, if you can't get the amp, either they haven't modeled it yet, or you may need to spend some more time tweaking. Am I a 'fanboi' - yup. I'm also a 57 year old fanboi, who has played many of these amps live. Don't know how to say it any more directly - being without a car really isn't that bad ... :D

Pete

... As far as amplification goes, is it a matter of personal preference? I'm thinking about something around $1000 or less. Is one solution better than another, ie. a keyboard amp as opposed to a powered speaker, or something along the lines of a Tech21 Power Engine?

I think neither a keyboard amp or the Tech21 thing are ideal. A powered speaker is going to allow you to get the most out of the Axe II's features. The EV ELX112P and QSC K12 are both great units that you might want to take a look at.

The other common setup is a SS power amp and a regular guitar cab. The downside to this setup is that you will not be able to use the unit's cab sims.

Studio monitors are also commonly used. Given that they are usually smaller speakers, studio monitors usually lack the low-end punch and power of a full sized speaker.

Wont be happening....auctions came down for the last time. Been trying 3 months. No one wants Line 6 stuff...LOL.

It's big step and it's a costly one. But know this.

By buying an Axe Fx 2, you are becoming a part of what will one day become a LEGENDARY heritage. You will be part of a family of musicians who live all around the world. Many minds who join collectively to provide advice, support, inspiration and good humoured banter that money can'r buy. You will receive first class support from Cliff, Matt and all the rest of the guys at Fractal Audio, in addition to all of us on here. New firmware updates usually means new amp models and ALWAYS includes updates and things to make your unit even better than it already is. Most of all, the Axe Fx will evolve will your playing style, where as a tube amp will not.

You're not just buying the most advance amp "modeller" (I hate that word btw), you are buying a way of life, a state of mind and most importantly..

A feeling that when you walk out onto that stage EVERYONE, the band(s), audience and even the sound guy will admire and love your huge tone.

Don't just hear it, feel it.

(New Fractal slogan me thinks?)

It's big step and it's a costly one. But know this.

By buying an Axe Fx 2, you are becoming a part of what will one day become a LEGENDARY heritage. You will be part of a family of musicians who live all around the world. Many minds who join collectively to provide advice, support, inspiration and good humoured banter that money can'r buy. You will receive first class support from Cliff, Matt and all the rest of the guys at Fractal Audio, in addition to all of us on here. New firmware updates usually means new amp models and ALWAYS includes updates and things to make your unit even better than it already is. Most of all, the Axe Fx will evolve will your playing style, where as a tube amp will not.

You're not just buying the most advance amp "modeller" (I hate that word btw), you are buying a way of life, a state of mind and most importantly..

A feeling that when you walk out onto that stage EVERYONE, the band(s), audience and even the sound guy will admire and love your huge tone.

(New Fractal slogan me thinks?)

Come up for air man... lol

Wont be happening....auctions came down for the last time. Been trying 3 months. No one wants Line 6 stuff...LOL.
Dude, I know that feeling. I had an 11R on e-Bay and all over the forums. Was like new, had the updated expansion packs, all the crap from the box and ProTools with the transfer paperwork in there ready to go. I finally sold it to someone locally and took an absolute beating on it. Its going to hurt a bit, but if you have to dump it then you're probably going to have to take a bit more of a hit than you wanted to.

Conversely when I sold my Ultra I got almost what I paid for it a year earlier. People were beating down the door for that thing. Part of it is the performance, part of it is certainly the hype and I'd bet that a lot of it has to do with availability as well. The L6 stuff is pretty easy to get a hold of and with places like GC and MF having sales and crap all the time it just undercuts resale.

I know that the first thought is that it's a pretty hefty chunk of change and it is if you look at it as one device. But I was able to sell an amp, a pedalboard and a guitar and came out ahead and what I gained was about million times more powerful and flexible.

My condolences and best of luck moving that stuff.

Dude, I know that feeling. I had an 11R on e-Bay and all over the forums. Was like new, had the updated expansion packs, all the crap from the box and ProTools with the transfer paperwork in there ready to go. I finally sold it to someone locally and took an absolute beating on it. Its going to hurt a bit, but if you have to dump it then you're probably going to have to take a bit more of a hit than you wanted to.

Conversely when I sold my Ultra I got almost what I paid for it a year earlier. People were beating down the door for that thing. Part of it is the performance, part of it is certainly the hype and I'd bet that a lot of it has to do with availability as well. The L6 stuff is pretty easy to get a hold of and with places like GC and MF having sales and crap all the time it just undercuts resale.

I know that the first thought is that it's a pretty hefty chunk of change and it is if you look at it as one device. But I was able to sell an amp, a pedalboard and a guitar and came out ahead and what I gained was about million times more powerful and flexible.

My condolences and best of luck moving that stuff.

I look at it as totally worth it considering what can be done with it and its quality. Just from what I've seen & read about, it's like moving from baby food to filet mignon.

I listed my stuff again & put free shipping on the guitar this time around. I'm selling what Line 6 refers to as the "dream rig" - Variax guitar (US made, not the import), and DT50 amp. I also had a Pod but I'm getting a refund from L6 because of all the problems I had with it.

I'm a tube newb - actually, the majority of my tube experience has been virtual via the Axe, the last few months I've owned it - but this is exactly what I tell people. Because I've not experienced that feel part from any digital or solid state piece of gear.

The Variax sold!!!! Just waiting for the money to be available to transfer from Paypal to my checking account, probably at least a week. Still waiting on the amp but the sale of the Variax will allow me to purchase the Axe-FX II. The Axe and foot controller both appear to be out of stock anyway, but I'm stoked that I'll be able to take the plunge eventually!

Back
Top Bottom